Cheap GoPro setup. Do you action cam? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cheap GoPro setup. Do you action cam?

Different Spokes TV

It’s a good idea to ride with a cam in case something happens even if you never publish the footage. Just started doing this and came up with a setup for under $200. If you have your own tips please share:

My fav cam ever was the Contour Roam, but the company went belly up. I think GoPro's look ridiculous. Looks like this Sena is a good alternative to the Contour Roam...too bad they couldn't pair it to the Sena SMH 10.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

My fav cam ever was the Contour Roam, but the company went belly up. I think GoPro's look ridiculous. Looks like this Sena is a good alternative to the Contour Roam...too bad they couldn't pair it to the Sena SMH 10.

Website is alive and well, 4k model on display.

Contour Action Cameras - Official Website

I have the Sena one. I like it because it’s not a big box on my helmet. I have clunkier cams on my bike but those are Garmins not GoPros.
I may have to change my setup due to AGV's not being very chin friendly. Would you recommend the Sena? I think the other option is a DRIFT which seems to be bigger then the Sena.

I may have to change my setup due to AGV's not being very chin friendly. Would you recommend the Sena? I think the other option is a DRIFT which seems to be bigger then the Sena.

Only downside to the Sena is battery life. You’ll get a few hours out of it (maybe 3 I think at a push) but there’s no user changeable battery so you’ll have to recharge it. I’ll take that as a payoff for it’s smaller form factor and more aerodynamic shape. If you want to v-log it does come with a mic that you can put in your helmet. If the drift has a user changeable battery that would be a big plus. The Sena is really light though.

Edit: I like that the Sena is just off and on too. No dicking about with 4K super slo mo fade in effect crap.

What AGV do you have? I know what you mean about the chin due to it being very pointed, but that does not affect anything in terms of mounting. You just need to get some materials to make the proper mold and you are good! As long as there is room between bottom of chin and chin mount you are good.
There are 2 ways around this to get the mold:
1. Surgru (is available at Canadian Tire now)
- Quite simple to use. Take the 3M tape off your rounded go pro mount, mush up the putty, apply to mount and helmet, trim, and let sit for 24 hours.
2. JB Weld Plastic epoxy putty.
- This is what I used because it is extremely strong. Take 3M tape off the curved Gopro clip. Masking tape on ur helmet where you want to mount go pro. Mush up the putty and mount the clip on ur helmet where desired. Wait half hour and you can peel the masking tape off your helmet with the mould on the Gopro clip. From here you will have an exact flush mount to the helmet surface. Get some 3M tape and mount the molded go pro piece to your helmet. Wait over night and your done!

Only downside to the Sena is battery life. You’ll get a few hours out of it (maybe 3 I think at a push) but there’s no user changeable battery so you’ll have to recharge it. I’ll take that as a payoff for it’s smaller form factor and more aerodynamic shape. If you want to v-log it does come with a mic that you can put in your helmet. If the drift has a user changeable battery that would be a big plus. The Sena is really light though.

Edit: I like that the Sena is just off and on too. No dicking about with 4K super slo mo fade in effect crap.
DRIFT X looks interesting, smaller form factor then other models in the line,, 5 hour battery life, button for instant on & record and it turns off when you stop recording.

What AGV do you have? I know what you mean about the chin due to it being very pointed, but that does not affect anything in terms of mounting. You just need to get some materials to make the proper mold and you are good! As long as there is room between bottom of chin and chin mount you are good.
- Quite simple to use. Take the 3M tape off your rounded go pro mount, mush up the putty, apply to mount and helmet, trim, and let sit for 24 hours.
- This is what I used because it is extremely strong. Take 3M tape off the curved Gopro clip. Masking tape on ur helmet where you want to mount go pro. Mush up the putty and mount the clip on ur helmet where desired. Wait half hour and you can peel the masking tape off your helmet with the mould on the Gopro clip. From here you will have an exact flush mount to the helmet surface. Get some 3M tape and mount the molded go pro piece to your helmet. Wait over night and your done!
K3-SV

The area is not flat enough at the chin to support the typical go pro mounts. Based off of what you`re saying i gather you`re filling in the 'void' with a putty to create the flat area? Interesting idea.

Currently i have it mounted on the side, with an arm that curves around to the chin of the helmet. Not happy with it.

K3-SV

The area is not flat enough at the chin to support the typical go pro mounts. Based off of what you`re saying i gather you`re filling in the 'void' with a putty to create the flat area? Interesting idea.

Currently i have it mounted on the side, with an arm that curves around to the chin of the helmet. Not happy with it.
My friend has the exact same helmet in matte black. We mounted his gopro on the weekend with no issues. Used the JB Plastic weld putty. We needed alot of it as it was quite pointy in the chin. Ended up being quite thick on the sides of the mount and thin in the middle where it points, but it was successful, clean, and mounted nice and strong.
If you take your time you won't have any issues.

Thanks for the tip. Next helmet I might try that. I like the GoPro because I have tons of extra batteries and will be riding up around the Madawaska Valley area quite a bit. I’ll just leave the camera on. You never know when a bear or moose might appear. I even saw a wolf up there once when I was in my car.

DRIFT X looks interesting, smaller form factor then other models in the line,, 5 hour battery life, button for instant on & record and it turns off when you stop recording.
I recently got a Drift Ghost X to replace my old Contour GPS model. The Ghost X is pretty decent at around $200. I got it mainly for its 5 hour battery life plus I also bought an extended battery pack which can go for 8 hours. The only thing it lacks is 4k and video stabilization which is on the Ghost 4K model but at twice the price.

I recently got a Drift Ghost X to replace my old Contour GPS model. The Ghost X is pretty decent at around $200. I got it mainly for its 5 hour battery life plus I also bought an extended battery pack which can go for 8 hours. The only thing it lacks is 4k and video stabilization which is on the Ghost 4K model but at twice the price.
I can't imagine a helmet cam without image stabilization.

I can't imagine a helmet cam without image stabilization.

If you only use it for accident situations it shouldn't matter (y)

thanks for confirming

Back
Top Bottom