Charlotte and I travel across Canada | GTAMotorcycle.com

Charlotte and I travel across Canada

kiley

So Charlotte and I have been talking and expressing our need for adventure.
In 2020 we went out west and are wanting to do this again.
Looks like I will have July and Aug off this summer.
We think its time to do a true Cross Canada Trip!
So here's what I'm thinking and could use some input from some of you like minded individuals :)
Ride to Newfoundland and if weather permits do Gaspe along the way.
Spend a few days in Newfoundland then ferry (Port aux Basques) back to North Sydney
Then make our way back towards Montreal.
Then Montreal to Dryden.
Montreal to Dryden...what would be the best route?
First option...
Do I take this route that's new to me over 2 days (1946km) spending one night in Kapuskasing?
Or do I take this route...
This route the "new to me" would be Montreal to Sudbury then the rest of it would be the same as in 2020
Second route is 2048km so a little longer but only by 100km
Is the second route more appealing visually?
I already know the gas stops for the second route,
Are the gas stops in the first route going to be a problem?
We are also considering another Iron Butt but if we do that it will prolly be Dryden to Fort Macleod

Thoughts?

Oh and in case none of you remember what Charlotte looks like (bahahahahah)...see below
IMG-20210617-211902.jpg

I vote the route up through Timmins, only because it's different from what you have done before. There's also the nice roads south of Dryden if you haven't done them before.

What's the average fuel range on your bike?

That's going to be an amazing ride to include Gaspe, Cabot Trail and Nfld in one trip!

Running the hwy Charlotte will do about 380kms

Running the hwy Charlotte will do about 380kms
Don't think you'll have any issues with fuel then, as long as you fill up when given the opportunity and be mindful of early closing times for some places the further north you go.

That second route is probably more visually appealing though, due to the proximity to various lakes on much of the route.

Mind gas closing in Quebec on Sundays too.

I'd avoid Montreal entirely ...S.Quebec this summer will be a complete zoo....I've waited an hour not moving in lines north of Montreal.
Take the ferry across to the North Shore at Baie Como and go north up though the Saguenay Fjord on the north side.
Make sure you fill up in Saguenay and check for fuel station available. You will be out of Gmap/Cell range tho you can down load the area ahead of time. I use MapsMe for outside of network as it has decent detail without a network connection. MAPS.ME (MapsWithMe), detailed offline maps of the world for iPhone, iPad, Android
Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at Mar, 7    2022    4.44.08 AM.jpg

you could drop down a little to Rouyn -Noranda and have coffee at the AL Van Houtes and admire the lovely girls.
P1000721 copy.jpg
That's the Northern TransCanada route 117 so services should be available and traffic much lighter than to the south. I checked a couple of the highways and they all look decent tho Quebec is iffy for road maintenance.
Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at Mar, 7    2022    4.51.25 AM.jpg
It's gorgeous up there and Quebec has been paving roads like crazy.Screen shot 2011-06-20 at Jun, 20    2011    9.34.26 PM.jpg
This stays to the north of Montreal but not so remote and follows 117 - careful of the stretch N of Mont-Laurier for fuel...we had to borrow some at a marina. That's a park - gorgeous but light on fuel services.
Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at Mar, 7    2022    5.13.12 AM.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom