Chain guard | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Chain guard

@Robbo no black marks on the inside of the brackets...as for suspension, I only weigh 110 lbs, so the compression probably isn't that much...also, as for your initial idea or the bag hitting the guard, here's a picture of how it originally looked after I made them back in March...almost doesn't look like it would hit, but then again, it's hard to tell...

Attachments

• original position of bag and chain guard 7.jpg
    original position of bag and chain guard 7.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 9
@ReSTored yes they are soft bags...I didn't see any marks on the tires, but I'll have to take a closer look...I will attend to it right away, however, how did the chain guard get ON TOP of the saddlebag support?

@Trials the chain is fine and the bike is on it's side stand..the wheel isn't crooked...

When you look at the first picture you see the part of the chain guard in front of the mounting bolt that appears to be joined to the molded inner fender/shock cover. In the second picture, with the chain guard bent up you can clearly see the whole front of this molded piece is bent. In the fourth picture you can see the chain guard with what appear to be chain marks on the outside of the guard.

I can't tell for sure but it looks like the chain guard was pushed to the side by the soft bag and was rubbing the tire, at some point it was pushed up or caught on something and it ended up over the chain and then force of chain bent the guard and shoved it up to where it came to rest. Or maybe there is some type of interference between the guard and the bracket you made when the wheel is moving up and down through its normal travel. Hard to tell for sure.

Obviously you need a new chain guard and you need to get rid of those homemade brackets and get something that works properly and is safe to use. Getting things caught up in your chain is a good way to end up with a locked rear wheel and depending what road you are on and how fast you are riding it could have a very bad ending for you.

@ReSTored just waiting for hubby to get home to take it off...how bad would it be to ride without a chain guard if I can't get one for a while?...not sure how readily available they are right now...

I think it's probably the DIY bag stay. There is a lot of wind force on soft bags, they are not all that aerodynamic, I'll bet they are pressing against the chain guard as they bobble around.

I'd invest $130 for some proper mounts. These are direct fit for an FZ7, universal for softbags. A friend has them on her FZ1, they work perfectly with a set of inexpensive bags. https://fortnine.ca/en/kappa-tubular-soft-bags-support-te2118k

@ReSTored just waiting for hubby to get home to take it off...how bad would it be to ride without a chain guard if I can't get one for a while?...not sure how readily available they are right now...
It's not terrible to ride without a chain guard. They generally do two things - reduce stuff being flung from the chain hitting your bike, and stop stuff from getting ingested by the chain. I don't really consider them to do much safety wise due to their flimsiness but I'm sure someone will disagree with me on that

more pictures...#5 is with me holding the saddlebags up off the support...#6 is showing a close up of a melted portion of the chain guard...#7 is with the bags on the support...remember, bike is on its side stand (I can't put it up on the rear stand by myself and hubby isn't home from work yet)
For sure the chain guard hit the bolts from your home made saddlebag supports.

That either forced it into the side of the chain, and the forward motion of the chain popped it up into the tire.

I'd run without a guard until you can get a new one. Just don't get anything caught in it...

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

@Mad Mike yeah, I saw those when I was designing mine...might have to get them or the Yami ones after all

anyhoot...bags are off, supports are off, and the guard looks in decent enough shape (a few battle scars LOL)...so all is good :D

Primary purpose of the chain guard is to protect the chain from stuff carried by the tire.

Trials bikes have a chain guard, they don't have a seat but they have a chain guard for that very reason.

Back
Top Bottom