Chain guard | GTAMotorcycle.com

Chain guard

ifiddles

So here's an anomaly for you...back in March hubby and I made saddlebag supports for my bike and all was good...have heated grips installed in May and at the same time, the air filter, spark plugs, tires and brakes checked by the installing dealer...didn't ride much in May and June as I was still working, but now that school is done, I've been trying to get out (not much last week because of the humidity) more...other than my intermittent stalling issue (in another thread), I smelled something burning yesterday and thought it was the dump truck in front of me, so didn't think anything of it...cleaned the bike today and found the chain guard is now sitting on top of the saddlebag holder and is slightly melted on the inside, I'm assuming due to rubbing on my tire...called the dealer today, emailed him the following pictures, and he wants me to bring the bike in (to also look at the other issue) to see how or why this could've happened...he says there's no reason for him to have removed the bags/supports when they were looking at the brakes...

I'm not having any luck this summer :(

Attachments

• Chain guard in proper position after I made the supports - resized.jpg
    Chain guard in proper position after I made the supports - resized.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Chain guard not in proper position after getting heated grips installed (1) resized.jpg
    Chain guard not in proper position after getting heated grips installed (1) resized.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Chain guard not in proper position after getting heated grips installed (2) resized.jpg
    Chain guard not in proper position after getting heated grips installed (2) resized.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Chain guard not in proper position after getting heated grips installed (3) resized.jpg
    Chain guard not in proper position after getting heated grips installed (3) resized.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Chain guard not in proper position after getting heated grips installed (4) resized.jpg
    Chain guard not in proper position after getting heated grips installed (4) resized.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 27
Is there only the one attachment point for the chain guard on the left side of the swingarm? Or is there more that I can't see from the pictures?

You either have some very strange chain wear showing on that rear sprocket and the rear wheel is sitting crooked, or you have some strange residue buildup on the face of that sprocket. Can you take a photo from the rear so the chain shows where it comes off the top of the sprocket?

... sprocket teeth should not show that much wear, the chain rides on rollers and the side links should not wear on the sides of the sprockets or you have an alignment issue.

It looks like the bags are pushing the chain guard into the tire and the plastic is being burnt away by friction, that's the burning smell you are getting. Do you see any abrasion marks on the tire? I can't see any in the pictures.

Are these soft bags? If so, and they are pushing the chain guard in toward the tire you might be at risk of getting the bag sucked in by the chain and jamming the sprocket, locking up your rear wheel............... I'd attend to this right away.

@ReSTored yes they are soft bags...I didn't see any marks on the tires, but I'll have to take a closer look...I will attend to it right away, however, how did the chain guard get ON TOP of the saddlebag support?

@Trials the chain is fine and the bike is on it's side stand..the wheel isn't crooked...

You either have some very strange chain wear showing on that rear sprocket and the rear wheel is sitting crooked, or you have some strange residue buildup on the face of that sprocket. Can you take a photo from the rear so the chain shows where it comes off the top of the sprocket?

... sprocket teeth should not show that much wear, the chain rides on rollers and the side links should not wear on the sides of the sprockets or you have an alignment issue.
more problems? Damn.. Did the burning smell start right after the new tires put on? It’s possible they put the spacers for the wheel on the wrong sides and now the wheel is sitting too close to the swing arm. Take a look down the chain from behind the rear wheel looking toward the front of the bike and see if the chain is straight and lined up with the front sprocket

He sees the same thing I seen, it don't look right.
Maybe it's just the photo, but it also does not look wide enough to be a maintenance free or sealed chain.

Maybe you should get saddlebag mounts designed for the bike, they could have collided with the chain guard and knocked it out of place. You should know how much the rear wheel travel/ how much the rear wheel will move up and down and then measured to make sure that at the suspensions most compressed point that nothing will contact

I would say take those mounts off immediately and then order a new chain guard and you’re probably good. Then find a set of saddlebags for that bike. Just take a look down the chain to make sure it actually is straight and both sprockets are in line with each other. Call oshawa cycle or zdeno cycle and ask them if they have a chain guard for your bike if you don’t want to wait on Yamaha and pay out the nose

@mistersouthpaw I didn't need new tires, they said mine were fine...only had them looked at along with the brakes...I was trying to save $180 that Yamaha wants for the saddlebag support

@Trials what do you mean by a maintenance free or sealed chain? I thought all chains required maintenance and had open links

@mistersouthpaw I didn't need new tires, they said mine were fine...only had them looked at along with the brakes...I was trying to save $180 that Yamaha wants for the saddlebag support

@Trials what do you mean by a maintenance free or sealed chain? I thought all chains required maintenance and had open links
Ah I see, so then disregard my wheel spacing comment and pay the 180 lol it will bolt right on and you’ll have no problems. Replace the chain guard though if it’s really mangled

Regular roller chain has open rollers, sealed chain has o-rings between the side plates. Sealed chain is usually visibly wider.
Can't tell for sure from the side angle.
and I hate to say this but your bike chain looks dirtier then my dirty dirt bike chain on a bad day :| or maybe it's just covered in melted plastic.

Based on the shape of your saddlebags and how the weight would be at the low point of the bag, I think when turning right, the weight of the bag plus the flex in the bracket has pushed the chain guard onto the tire and eventually the guard has kicked up and over the bracket. You can see the tire’s edge is marked up in your 4th pic and there is definite wear from the tire on the inside of the chain guard in your 5th pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regarding your other issue, I’ll post in that thread.

more pictures...#5 is with me holding the saddlebags up off the support...#6 is showing a close up of a melted portion of the chain guard...#7 is with the bags on the support...remember, bike is on its side stand (I can't put it up on the rear stand by myself and hubby isn't home from work yet)

Attachments

• Chain guard not in proper position (5) resized.jpg
    Chain guard not in proper position (5) resized.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Chain guard not in proper position (6) resized.jpg
    Chain guard not in proper position (6) resized.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Chain guard not in proper position (7) resized.jpg
    Chain guard not in proper position (7) resized.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 19
@Robbo that makes sense...thank you...and here I thought I was smart for having designed and made my own support system... :(

Ok, now it looks more like a maintenance free chain covered in think black dirt and goop. I'd be giving that a bath and only enough chain lubricant to stop it from rusting. And you are right it does not look out of align by the photo.

@Robbo that makes sense...thank you...and here I thought I was smart for having designed and made my own support system... :(

Can you see any black marks on the inside of the brackets or on the bracket mount to the footpeg?

Also, it could be when the suspension was compressed, there wasn’t enough clearance and that pushed the chain guard onto the wheel.

Back
Top Bottom