Chain grease on rims | GTAMotorcycle.com

Chain grease on rims

lowrydr

Hi again everyone, im looking for help on removing the white lithium grease from a new chain installed over the winter that has splattered all over my new powder coated rims, I tryed reg car wash gel, spray nine, and dishwasher sunlight soap, nothing breakes it down and i dont want to ruin my rims being to abbraisive.
Please help.
Thanks Brian
See some in dover fri.

Try varsol, I oil base and breaks down other base products. Test it on a small spot of your rim first (always wise) then just put a bit on a rag and rub offthe grease.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

+1000000000000000 for wd-40. I used to spend hours cleaning my wheels. With wd-40 everything wipes off without scrubbing.

+1000000000000000 for wd-40. I used to spend hours cleaning my wheels. With wd-40 everything wipes off without scrubbing.
Kerosene is the main ingredient of wd40.I use it too.Whichever is within reach when i'm cleaning.

Kerosene for sure. Great degreaser, no issues with rubber, cheap. Unless wd-40 comes with a blow from Jessica Alba (note to the Mrs.: just, kiddin' honey :D), I'll take a pass and Save MY Money :cool:

Kerosene for sure. Great degreaser, no issues with rubber, cheap. Unless wd-40 comes with a blow from Jessica Alba (note to the Mrs.: just, kiddin' honey :D), I'll take a pass and Save MY Money :cool:

WD-40 is pretty common for people to have lying around, I know I have it at work and at home. Kerosene on the other hand Id have to go out and buy, and that doesnt even come in an erosol can nevermind a blow

WD-40 is pretty common for people to have lying around, I know I have it at work and at home. Kerosene on the other hand Id have to go out and buy, and that doesnt even come in an erosol can nevermind a blow

Most riders keep kerosene to clean the chain, so it actually is something a typical rider would have lying around. You also buy it at the same place as wd40 (crappy tire) and a gallon of that stuff is cheaper than 2 cans of wd-40. As for aerosol.. Cheap dollar-store spray-bottle FTW.. Plus it's reusable :cool:

QUOTE=FiReSTaRT;1551104]Kerosene for sure. Great degreaser, no issues with rubber, cheap. Unless wd-40 comes with a blow from Jessica Alba (note to the Mrs.: just, kiddin' honey :D)[/QUOTE]

Whipped

Kerosene is stank. Wd-40 doesn't smell too bad and i use it on the chain too. To each their own. I'd just rather have a small, convenient can than a gallon jug.

Kerosene is stank. Wd-40 doesn't smell too bad and i use it on the chain too. To each their own. I'd just rather have a small, convenient can than a gallon jug.

Some of us don't light up our cigarettes with $5 bills, but maybe that's why we have the space to put those gallon jugs, which take up the area of 3-4 cans of WD-40 :cool:

Most riders keep kerosene to clean the chain, so it actually is something a typical rider would have lying around. You also buy it at the same place as wd40 (crappy tire) and a gallon of that stuff is cheaper than 2 cans of wd-40. As for aerosol.. Cheap dollar-store spray-bottle FTW.. Plus it's reusable :cool:

You need to relax with the cheap talk, I mean go clip some coupons or something geeze its a $5 can that can be used for alot of things...And I didnt say WD was the end all be all solvent for cleaning chains or the cheapest.. I suggested it because from my expereince its one of those things most people (in general not riders) have at least a can of it lying around somewhere. And if they dont have it, their neibour or buddy has it... And if they dont you can pick it up at alomst any gas station around the corner from you, dont have to drive all the way out to a CT to buy it...Which for me right now with the gas prices and my big truck cost more then the $5 your going to spend on kerosene!

I guess its not as popular as I thought, me I was brought up using WD-40 and Im pretty sure my pops thinks it can fix anything. As anything with any kind of problem here at my shop gets sprayed with WD. LOL We have the 4L tin cans of it, and for me its free so I use it to clean my chains, so I guess Im not a "typical rider",but the point is still if you have it lying around or can borrow some from your neibour it will clean the chain grease off your bike pretty easily. Not better or cheaper then kerosene, oh no! but it will work if you have it....So can we just leave it at that?

Last edited:
Or you can use citronella mosquito repellent that you use in a mosquito torch for your backyard. As i did last fall. Basically it is kerosene with citronella oil added. And sure as hell smell better.

Johnny, if I had shaft drive or something and didn't need to clean my chain, I wouldn't bother with kerosene. Since I do, I have a jug and a spray bottle lying around. Bang for the buck, it's the best tool for the job. I still have WD-40, but it (barely) gets used, mostly on uncooperative soft-headed fasteners.

Back
Top Bottom