Cbr500r or Ninja 400

• Cbr500r

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Ninja 400

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

Vontwowheels

Hey guys,

I'm looking at getting a new bike (I rode for a season in a ninja 300) 3 years ago so basically coming in as a new rider mentality.
I'm looking at a 20' ninja 400 (6K +tax) or a 19' cbr500r (6700+tax) both are new.
Is the cbr worth the extra $1000+ after tax and interest.
I've sat on them both and the honda seemed to fit a little better but having trouble picking. Tons of ninja 400 on kijiji for 5500-6000 so holding very good value but not a whole lot of 19+ used 500s out there.
Overall use including highway riding through Vaughan at 6' 175lb, the 50lb saving of the ninja seems like it would go along way.
Any recommendations or personal experience can't even find comparisons to the 19 honda with a smidge more power.

Thanks !

(I did search the site and found people going between New 400 or used cbr500r but they updated the cbr in 19)

For me, I have no interest in the Honda 500. By all respects it's a very good bike, but too much utility, not enough fun for me. At even money, I would pick the ninja. Having the 500 cost more would make the decision really easy for me.

I take it that the 300 is gone?

Either way, don't buy new unless you have a long term plan for the bike(lightweight track bike, your second bike is an offroad bike, your significant other has confirmed they will take it as a hand me down, etc). Most people will get peer pressured into 'moving up' from their 'beginner bike' because they 'outgrew it'. The 'holding value' is just the start of season kijiji pricing. If you are able to store it indoors through winter, and you are confident you will not drop or crash the bike at all ever, then you can maybe quote that pricing.

Once in-season, used entry level bike list values drop to ~$3000-$4000. End of season, they are $2500-3500. Numbers are also temporarily inflated cause COVID was a huge boon for motorcycling. A whole ton of people started the hobby so there are abnormal supply and demand considerations. When those people 'upgrade' or quit, then it'll be a bonanza of cheap newer model bikes.

Me personally, I'm in the market for a super cheap used ninja 400/r3 for use as a track bike. Can't wait to buy a covid special for $2000.

Last edited:
I would get the ninja 400 for sure! I would get the ninja even if the price was the same as the cbr
the 400 - higher rpm and lighter based on the video

I would get the ninja 400 for sure! I would get the ninja even if the price was the same as the cbr

I'm still lusting after a ZX-25R. It will be expensive but oh so awesome. Hopefully it comes to Canada at some point.

I'm still lusting after a ZX-25R. It will be expensive but oh so awesome. Hopefully it comes to Canada at some point.
If they even submit it for Euro 5 certification...

I'm with you on wanting it though.

I've seen this video and the written form with it, but that is an 18' cbr not hugely different but the 19' has a bit (4 or so more hp), lowered handle bars, and some other minor stuff like the cluster.

No comparisons to the revised one which has adjustable front preload.

But im leaning towards the N400 for basically all the reasons you listed

I would go for comfort. It goes a long way on a long trip. Are these two set up for the type of riding that you enjoy doing?
Is the insurance the same?

I would go for comfort. It goes a long way on a long trip. Are these two set up for the type of riding that you enjoy doing?
Is the insurance the same?
This....

Both bikes are capable. I have ridden both on the street and raced the Ninja 400.

The 500 would be more 'comfortable' but the 400 slightly more 'fun'.

I am 6'3" and 190 lbs.

Screw it just buy a used KLR

• Haha
Reactions: TK4
I think so.

Lots of 400s you see on Kijiji people are asking as much or more than MSRP these days, and much older 300s being posted for more than that. 12k mileage isn’t much at all.
Only hassle is Ottawa is a bit of a hike. But if you have access to a vehicle with a hitch you can get a uhaul bike trailer for like $20, make a day trip of it.
My guess is that won’t last long at that price.
I picked up a 2018 400 in the fall and loving it so far.

Back
Top Bottom