CBR125 Turn Signals Always On - Don't Blink | GTAMotorcycle.com

CBR125 Turn Signals Always On - Don't Blink

bennya7x

Hi,

This is my first post on the forums and I need your help!

I had been riding around on my newly bought used cbr125 and the signals were flashing fine. After about maybe an hour in an empty parking lot, practicing my slow riding, traffic merging using my signals, it had occured to be that my signals were not flashing but were constant. Both sides. I had been using my signals a lot.

I had opened the storage space where the little box is located, it is #31 here, http://www.badlandsmotorcycleproduct...lectronics.htm.

The box is really hot and whenever I turn on the signals there is a clicking sound and the signal stays on, if i fidget with the black wire, it will briefly flash and then continue to stay constant. I'm assuming it's a relay problem but I'm not too technical with this stuff.

I am thinking it may be a short circuit somewhere because it got hotter as I kept the signal on, I haven't attempted to open the bike for a thorough check because it had started raining and it's getting dark outside.

Before starting the bike I did a check and i noticed the front right indicator was hanging by the wires, taking a closer look, the nut holding it in place was off, so I tightened it. I'm not sure if this makes a difference. I was riding yesterday as well as today and I had only noticed it today.

I'm going to open it up tomorrow to diagnose the problem. If you guys have any ideas it would be really helpful.

Thanks in advanced for your help guys!

Dirty connections at the bulb sockets / harness or a weak bulb will cause the turn signal to 'stall'. If you've got a cracked turn signal lens, start at that lamp and check for dirt/debris. Clean the socket with electronic parts cleaner and re-install the bulb with a dab of Dielectric grease to help seal out further issues. This fault can be tricky to find.

If both the front and back signal lights are coming on, then the lights themselves are fine. If that's the case then start with replacing the turn signal relay.

If both the front and back signal lights are coming on, then the lights themselves are fine. If that's the case then start with replacing the turn signal relay.

The same turn signal relay is used whether a right or left hand turn is requested, so therefor the turnsignal relay is not directly at fault.

The same turn signal relay is used whether a right or left hand turn is requested, so therefor the turnsignal relay is not directly at fault.

Yes, it's a single unit that flashes both right and left. If the OP can determine that all the signal lights are working then it's much more likely that it's the turn signal relay (flasher unit) itself. It's very common for these to fail and very easy and cheap to get a replacement. Starting with the relay makes the most sense rather than trying to chase some phantom wiring/bulb issue that may or may not exist.

Last edited:
Yes, it's a single unit that flashes both right and left. If the OP can determine that all the signal lights are working then it's much more likely that it's the turn signal relay (flasher unit) itself. It's very common for these to fail and very easy and cheap to get a replacement. Starting with the relay makes the most sense rather than trying to chase some phantom wiring/bulb issue that may or may not exist.

This bike uses a "Winker" for the turn signal lamp. It is not a traditional relay. It's a solid state thermal overload that when hot, will open the circuit and cause the turn signals to go out. As they overload cools, the circuit is re-made and they come back on, or 'Wink'. This would explain why the OP felt it was hot. The problem is that it's not getting hot enough, usually due to resistance in the lamp circuit. Replacement winkers are not cheap, so I wouldn't recommend running out and buying one especially if the lamps are only an issue on one side.

Last edited:
Just gonna resurrect this. Hoping someone will have a solution. Went out today on my bike (07 125), right turn signals work fine. Rear left is only solid when turned on, front doesn’t turn on at all, and the blinker indicator on the dash is solid when left turn signal is on as well.

Wondering if anyone solved this problem or knows what it might be? Ugh.

Signals are rubber mounted so they need a grounding wire. Take a length of wire and ground the bulb socket to a good engine ground, if it suddenly functions you found the problem.

Also, check that the bulbs are the right voltage. I put 6 volt, VW bulbs in a trailer once, and it did something similar.

MaksTO your problem is a burned bulb or unplugged connector at the left front (the one that never comes on). Check that it's plugged in (iirc 2 separate bullet connectors), if so, remove lens and check bulb.

Yep so the black wire (negative or ground? That was wrapped around the spring came undone. Cut some cable housing and rewrapped for now. Light works!!

Should probably get a better fastening solution though

Bulb test is pretty easy, switch the left bulb with the right one and see if the problem follows.

Yep so the black wire (negative or ground? That was wrapped around the spring came undone. Cut some cable housing and rewrapped for now. Like works!!

Should probably get a better fastening solution though
So was it a bad ground? Jumper wire should have proved that.

Yeah bad ground. I just pulled apart the entire front left light and saw the black wire was not connected, and that there were frayed parts wrapped around the spring that holds the light. So I just re wrapped it for now and will likely try to do a more permanent solution ASAP.

Yeah bad ground. I just pulled apart the entire front left light and saw the black wire was not connected, and that there were frayed parts wrapped around the spring that holds the light. So I just re wrapped it for now and will likely try to do a more permanent solution ASAP.
The best permanent solution is a new signal, they're cheap.
Check out The UK’s biggest choice of motorcycle parts for Japanese and European machines.
They have everything for your bike, prices are cheap, great site.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

The best permanent solution is a new signal, they're cheap.
Check out The UK’s biggest choice of motorcycle parts for Japanese and European machines.
They have everything for your bike, prices are cheap, great site.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Thanks for the link! Great resource.

Will solder the wire on the left one that wasn't working, and will replace the front right as I was a dumb dumb and dropped the bike while checking my coolant levels a few days back and had to epoxy that S*** together temporarily.

Also picking up a clutch case gasket because I will be upgrading the clutch springs in the coming weeks along with my oil change.

the poor fairings on that CBR. might be time to do a streetfighter conversion by the sounds of it LOL.

the poor fairings on that CBR. might be time to do a streetfighter conversion by the sounds of it LOL.
The fairings were completely mangled from the previous owners. So many fastening points just broke off on the side fairings. They actually didn't crack any more when I dropped it. Only the turn signal light went.

Zip ties (y)

Back
Top Bottom