CBC: What a mess | GTAMotorcycle.com

CBC: What a mess

Evoex

The God
Site Supporter
Last edited:
I think the CBC sees headwinds. Dumping truckloads of public cash on them during epic social spending won’t likely happen, a PC govt, should that happen, has vowed to privatize the tv business, saving taxpayers about $1billion a year.

my thoughts are that CBC should not do this, at a time where radio and TV are struggling, there in no need for a taxpayer subsidized competitor. CBC should be exiting areas that are well served by existing private enterprise.

I thought some of their content was getting better. They're actually criticizing and investigating the government to a certain extent.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/covid-spending-government-transparency-1.5826917
Part of me wonders whether that was a gentle dig when they saw the money flowing and thought there share should be bigger. I am sure if the floodgates opened, CBC would return to topics that didn't bite the hand that fed them.

I'd rather have the money spent on CBC be given to the AG to properly investigate and make changes (and ideally prosecute but that won't happen) instead of just selling a few ads and moving on.

I'm surprised that I hadn't heard of this before.

I can say this though - being a little familiar with how this sort of thing works, the people at CBC that are pushing this are being coy. They already know *exactly* what they want to sell will look like. Since they're not taking advantage of the free attention and being upfront about it, they know damn well that the public is going to hate it

I'm surprised that I hadn't heard of this before.

I can say this though - being a little familiar with how this sort of thing works, the people at CBC that are pushing this are being coy. They already know *exactly* what they want to sell will look like. Since they're not taking advantage of the free attention and being upfront about it, they know damn well that the public is going to hate it
Some of my competitors routinely buy advertorials in conventional media. It may work, but it is shadier than I want to be associated with.

Staff are feeling betrayed? LMAO, From a national news agency that has betrayed the public they are supposed to serve for decades... Most of their coverage and"journalism" is paid advertorials as it is.

I noticed the tone and language used by CBC reporters at the end of the U.S election was biased against Trump.

This is an improvement. At lease now at the bottom of most articles it will state that is is a paid advertisement for the liberals.

This is an improvement. They're admitting they're whores.

Ahh CBC. Where to begin? $1.3b of taxpayers money wasted every year on activist left 'journalism'. Now the activists are angry because the execs are subcontracting work to enhance their pockets? Nobody watches the CBC anymore (if they ever did), it's an anachronism that in a sea of 100 cable and 1000 satellite channels and another 10,000 streaming channels coming on strong has become completely irrelevant and forgettable.

Ahh CBC. Where to begin? $1.3b of taxpayers money wasted every year on activist left 'journalism'. Now the activists are angry because the execs are subcontracting work to enhance their pockets? Nobody watches the CBC anymore (if they ever did), it's an anachronism that in a sea of 100 cable and 1000 satellite channels and another 10,000 streaming channels coming on strong has become completely irrelevant and forgettable.
I see a role for the public radio broadcaster, not in Television. Years ago the country need gov't involvement in TV, radio, railroads, package delivery, telecom -- anything the country needed but needed the gov't involvement to make it nationally available. Crown corps were never intended to be mass competition to the private sector, they should be privatized as soon as their need is diminished.

That time came for Petrocan, Ontario Hydro, and other crown corps. Now it's time to take more off the public dole - TV part of CBC, LCBO and Canada Post are prime candidates for immediate dissolution and or or privatization.

I think we need trusty jurnalism more than ever. Too many people find a facebook meme more trustworthy than mass media. CBC could be in an unique position where it could fill that void.

I think we need trusty jurnalism more than ever. Too many people find a facebook meme more trustworthy than mass media. CBC could be in an unique position where it could fill that void.
Except their entire existence is based on funding from a single political party. I like a lot of what they do but it is very hard to be objective in that model.

If somebody asked me if I would pay >$100 a year for an annual family subscription to CBC, that is an easy choice for me (hell no) but here we are paying over $100 a year for our entire lives. I'm with MM, let the private sector deal with most of their mandate.

No better ideas for $1.2billion a year?

How about we take 1/2 of 1 year's CBC subsidy to build the Ring of Fire road. That unlocks an estimate $120billion in economic activity - and lots of roads for Adv bikes.

No better ideas for $1.2billion a year?

How about we take 1/2 of 1 year's CBC subsidy to build the Ring of Fire road. That unlocks an estimate $120billion in economic activity - and lots of roads for Adv bikes.
Could we cut it by the amount we were subsidizing a former employee, who appeared to buy his outfits from used car salesmen, and had a penchant for owning bars, and naming them after himself? His bar here changed it's name. Not sure if he sold the chain or went out of business. That must have been a serious chunk of change for them/us.

The thing that really annoys me about the CBC is that they get government funding, and they are allowed to sell advertising. Not many state funded broadcasters can do both. Take the BBC for example

Part of our company provides products for the TV/OTT Ad Insertion business. TV advertising in Canada generally costs between $6-9 per thousand views for prime time programming. I read a statement from the CBC - I'll try to find it - where they complained that they lost $175 million in as revenue when Rogers got the rights to Hockey. And that was only one program, so anything they get from the public trough is probably just a nice little bonus.

They also get a share of your cable or satellite bill. I think that Rogers and Bell have to pony up something like $1.50 per subscriber for CBC News World and you have to take it as its on the basic tier

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom