CB550 assembly cost | GTAMotorcycle.com

CB550 assembly cost

pfbmgd

My best friends neice passed at age 33 from cancer . She took apart a CB550 to rebuild as a cafe style bike . All the parts are there plus a spare engine . He would like to have the bike assembled . What type of cost is he looking around to get it assembled . What shops do this type of work ?

Any pics of everything laid out?

Pricing could vary a lot depending on how striped down it is....may need to ask around to see who does something like this..

Any pics of everything laid out?

Pricing could vary a lot depending on how striped down it is....may need to ask around to see who does something like this..
I'm getting the bike later in the week . I'll post pics if I figure out how .

Forewarning. Putting something together that someone else took apart, is challenging at best. If whoever took it apart made an effort to keep related parts, subassemblies, and fasteners together, do your best to maintain whatever sense of organisation that you can. Digging through an unsorted bin of fasteners to find the exact screw that goes in a particular spot, gets time-consuming (and therefore budget-blowing, if you are paying someone else to do it).

"It's all there, just taken apart" ... it's never all there. Or maybe it really is all there, it's just going to take you two hours to find each piece.

When I do teardowns, I lay out each subassembly or component out on a sheet of plywood in the order that it came off, with related fasteners either screwed loosely back where they belong wherever possible, or in a zip-loc bag dedicated to that subassembly.

If there is any sort of apparent order, try to maintain it.

To keep the budget in the realm of reality, hopefully you can rely on the kindness of strangers. Paying shop rate to put together boxes of parts would be beyond expensive.

Reactions: TK4
See if you can get a Chalmers manual for reference. Should tell you how to disassemble and reassemble the complete bike

What year is the bike? I have a stock ‘75 in my garage for reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Should be getting the bike on the weekend . If I diside to do it myself . If possible I can come over take tons of picture .

Check this guy: Login • Instagram. He has a shop at home and I know that he did similar jobs for a few people. Just call him and talk to find out how this process might look like: 416989 two five 79.

P.S. I'm not affiliated with him but I know him.

Should be getting the bike on the weekend . If I diside to do it myself . If possible I can come over take tons of picture .
If you have the mechanical aptitude, do it. Lots of cafe ‘projects’ get stalled after the major parts are removed from the bike. If the motor has not. been torn down, it could might largely go back together quite easily.

If you do the heavy lifting of reassembling the bike as best you can, any competent mechanic can tune service and go over all the safety stuff.

If you have the mechanical aptitude, do it. Lots of cafe ‘projects’ get stalled after the major parts are removed from the bike. If the motor has not. been torn down, it could might largely go back together quite easily.

If you do the heavy lifting of reassembling the bike as best you can, any competent mechanic can tune service and go over all the safety stuff.
Might also chronicle a project like this here. Lots of advice available, you do the work, take pics and we provide support.

Might be nice to get a 100 page thread on a motorcycle topic.

My best friends neice passed at age 33 from cancer . She took apart a CB550 to rebuild as a cafe style bike . All the parts are there plus a spare engine . He would like to have the bike assembled . What type of cost is he looking around to get it assembled . What shops do this type of work ?

Very expensive to have done, but you're looking at an antique bike restorer or a custom bike shop. This is a project that will not only cost in parts, but the amount of labour going into it is extremely high. Having done vehicle restoration myself I can say you will need an original shop manual, a Haynes or Clymer manual and the parts diagrams the dealer uses (often found online). Each component requires individual restoration, descaling, corrosion removal, high-speed buffing - for a true restoration or a good custom cafe project. There are two types of custom: the 'as new' build and the rough-hewn old worn look - the latter being the favorite among a lot of kids these days. Really he should think about learning to do it himself, or selling it to a guy who will do it, then offer to buy it back (lots of restorers get bored and want to move onto something else after they're finished). Best of luck, the CB550 is a great classic, well worth doing.

The manual is about 40$ and CB's are pretty basic. If that scares you I'd bolt it back together for 1500$ plus parts and supplies if she hasn't busted the engine open.

Sorry to hear about this young girls passing, Waaay to young.

Back
Top Bottom