Castle nut for 09 zx6r | GTAMotorcycle.com

Castle nut for 09 zx6r

TomZyzz

Hi,

New here! Prepping my first track day on September 5th and noticed an odd looking nut almost shaped like a crown that im assuming holds my frame to my swing arm being lose. I looked everywhere to order this socket and seems like everyone is back ordered or out of stock.

Was wondering if anyone has one I can borrow or buy for my 09 Kawasaki zx6r to tighten it to spec and give it back?

I know theres a way to cut a normal socket to
Fit it but i dont think i have the correct tools to cut one.

I’ll post some pics of the nut tonight along with the measurements

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Hopefully someone has one but if not, a piece of pipe or a socket the right size and a hacksaw or dremel and you can make the tool.

Where do you live? Is the bike road legal? Sometimes a friendly mechanic will take pity on you and let you borrow the socket for five minutes and tighten it in the parking lot. It's normally calling in a favor for somebody though.

Hopefully someone has one but if not, a piece of pipe or a socket the right size and a hacksaw or dremel and you can make the tool.

Where do you live? Is the bike road legal? Sometimes a friendly mechanic will take pity on you and let you borrow the socket for five minutes and tighten it in the parking lot. It's normally calling in a favor for somebody though.

sadly, its not street worthy :(

@frekeyguy seems to be very friendly but as he makes money from repairs I'm not sure he would lend out the tool. He is in Brampton.

Thank you;

Those swingarm bearings never get loose, they have rollers bearings that last a long time.
But I have got by cutting a socket and using a drift to get them loose.

I am moving, but if you can check the kawi tool number...if its the same for a 04/05...i might have one already made.

I am moving, but if you can check the kawi tool number...if its the same for a 04/05...i might have one already made.

Where to bro?

Motion Pro has a tool for it, bought from
Them for cbr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need Motion Pro 08-0571

I have for the CBR which is 08-572, won’t work on yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. Thanks for that.

Spanner Nut Sockets - Motion Pro "Equivalent to Kawasaki tool 57001-1450 and 57001-1597"

08_0571_alt1__18357.1416577783.jpg

A little bit dear at about $100 here in Canuckistan. And that's assuming it can found; out of stock at Fortnine, not carried by GP, though I assume they could order it. Or, open your wallet and buy directly from Motion Pro and hope the tool arrives before your track day. Doesn't sound ideal.

It looks like @frekeyguy 's tool will fit your bike. Get in touch with him.

I made one back when I had my TL1000...
The right size pipe to fit the diameter, then zip cut the sections out (leaving your drive pins to fit in the nut). I welded a nut on the end of the pipe so I could use a socket BUT you could just use a pipe wrench. They usually aren't overly tight as the cotter pin holds it in place.

Based on the parts diagram that nut holds the roller bearing in place that prevents axial movement in the swingarm. If it became loose on its own, I would be checking the bearings that ride on it for rust.

Do you power wash your motorcycles? That can do it.

Based on the parts diagram that nut holds the roller bearing in place that prevents axial movement in the swingarm. If it became loose on its own, I would be checking the bearings that ride on it for rust.

Do you power wash your motorcycles? That can do it.

i dont power wash it but I noticed a little notch on the castle nut where assumingely, the previous owner must have hit it with a wedge and hammer

i dont power wash it but I noticed a little notch on the castle nut where assumingely, the previous owner must have hit it with a wedge and hammer
So I'm assuming they fiddled with it and didn't replace the cotter pin (or didn't tighten it properly before replacing the pin)?

The cotter pin would need to be through the axle, would it not?
Sure looks to me like that nut holds the sleeve that just carries the roller bearing. part# 92162
Not seeing any cotter pin through that part.
Part # 43026 sleeve also should not turn
i147506-f2141.png

if Any of those 3 bearings seizes up it's going to force the axle or spacer to turn when it shouldn't, it's the swingarm we want to be carried by the bearings, move freely and to be positioned accurately.

assuming that I found the correct parts diagram for his bike, the castle nut holds part# 92152 in place.
There are 3 bearings in that assembly and 2 are needle bearings, which can not take side loads. The 3rd bearing is a deep groove roller bearing and you would put that in there to accommodate side load forces. It would be adjusted to remove side play using the threaded collar and locked in place with the castle nut.

I think you will find that part is what the 6004 roller bearing rides on as a 6004 bearing has a 20mm bore. The needle bearings ride on a 28mm shaft
(part# 42036)

edit: Ok, that was weird, I just responded to a post that totally disappeared.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom