Careless Driving Charge Dropped! | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Careless Driving Charge Dropped!

It's unlikely that it would set precedent with a JP hearing it, but it would start the ball rolling.

I'd like to see a JP screw up and rule "right" (from our perspective)... I'd even pay into the legal fund when the Crown appeals the decision :cool:

I'd like to see a JP screw up and rule "right" (from our perspective)... I'd even pay into the legal fund when the Crown appeals the decision :cool:

I understand why so many people would like to see it, but I really don't want to see the GTA turn into "Rome West."

Last edited:
I understand why so many people woould liek to see it, but I really don't want to see the GTA turn into "Rome West."

No.. But right now, it's more like 1950's Moscow West. Different vehicles have different characteristics and some should be given a bit of leeway. However, an 18wheeler is treated the same as an R1. Done responsibly, filtering is a good way to clear up some of the traffic and allow for faster, more agile vehicles to get ahead. Done irresponsibly, filtering should be ticketed.

No.. But right now, it's more like 1950's Moscow West. Different vehicles have different characteristics and some should be given a bit of leeway. However, an 18wheeler is treated the same as an R1. Done responsibly, filtering is a good way to clear up some of the traffic and allow for faster, more agile vehicles to get ahead. Done irresponsibly, filtering should be ticketed.

Like I've said in other threads; after you ;)

Giving single track vehicles access to commuter lanes is about as far as I'll go, given the woefully inadequate skills shown by the average urban Ontario driver. I can shave 10 minutes off my commute home, on a bike, without breaking any laws. cutting it by 20 minutes isn't worth my life.

I understand why so many people woould liek to see it, but I really don't want to see the GTA turn into "Rome West."

I wouldn't mind London, Paris, or even as far as Rome "West"...but not Cairo or New Delhi West.

London and Rome function well enough. I used to think London was especially bad (compared to my student 2000 to 2002 commutes). But to be honest everyday rush hour traffic has become much worse here, and there is very little "release valves" in the system. The transport system just can't compensate.

But if you're on a "you first" policy...I'll gladly go first and filter past ya.

Also, on the way home tonight count how many times you see 140(3) breached. Count how many offences ocur by any vehicle passing the leading bumper of the vehicle ahead of it 30m up to ANY pedestrian intersection, regarless if you're coming up on a green or a red.

I counted over 18 times it happened just to me alone on the way into work today. Curious to see some rules so lax in their enforcement while others are emphasised.

As I mentioned before...the UK finally clarified their ambiguity regarding filtering around 2004 due to party due to widespread filtering and spotty enforcement coupled with legal ambiguity.

There is something to be said about your "you first" policy.

Correction 2006...
http://www.motorbikestoday.com/news/Articles/filtering_law.htm

I wouldn't mind London, Paris, or even as far as Rome "West"...but not Cairo or New Delhi West.

London and Rome function well enough. I used to think London was especially bad (compared to my student 2000 to 2002 commutes). But to be honest everyday rush hour traffic has become much worse here, and there is very little "release valves" in the system. The transport system just can't compensate.

But if you're on a "you first" policy...I'll gladly go first and filter past ya.

Also, on the way home tonight count how many times you see 140(3) breached. Count how many offences ocur by any vehicle passing the leading bumper of the vehicle ahead of it 30m up to ANY pedestrian intersection, regarless if you're coming up on a green or a red.

I counted over 18 times it happened just to me alone on the way into work today. Curious to see some rules so lax in their enforcement while others are emphasised.

As I mentioned before...the UK finally clarified their ambiguity regarding filtering around 2004 due to party due to widespread filtering and spotty enforcement coupled with legal ambiguity.

There is something to be said about your "you first" policy.

Correction 2006...
http://www.motorbikestoday.com/news/Articles/filtering_law.htm

If things like using the merge lane to pass and driving in the bicycle/breakdown lane were properly enforced, the overall traffic delays would likely drop. Selfish people create backlogs.

How many lane changes would trigger that law?
A cop told me that more then one lane change within 6 seconds is what they go by. Don't wait 6 seconds before the next lane change? STUNTING! I counted 6 seconds, DAMN it's a long time, especially when just getting on the highway/merging, etc.

Let's say someone does have a trial with regards to filtering and argues it successfully and it was deemed safe and permissable....when can it be cited as precedent?
They will absolutely never ever enter a "not guilty" verdict. Right when you get to the point where you've won, the prosecutor dismisses the charges with "no expectation of conviction". That's why they can show a 99.9% conviction rate and why there is NEVER any precedent for any crap that YOU want to use as a defense! I know this because when I was found "not guilty" of my "plate not visible" ticket I asked for transcripts of the proceedings. "Oh, sorry sir. The crown actually dismissed the charges in your case, so there are no transcripts." LOL! What complete BS!

-Jamie M.

For those wishful thinkers that believe that there's some sort of legal loophole for filtering you may want to consider what the people who right the rules expect. They don't like filtering. Hell, they don't even like motorcycles. Even if you were somehow able to find some judge to rule that filtering is legal, that situation would last about a month before they come out with some even more ridiculously restrictive law than 172.

Filtering and lane splitting isn't going to be tolerated in Ontario any time soon. Until those that pass legislation are convinced its a good idea you're fighting an impossible battle.

they need hov lane on 401 and dvp during rush hours other times used as a regular lane. and they need to allow motorcycles on it same w/ cars w/ 2 or more passenger not 3 like some lanes.

Back
Top Bottom