Cardo Packtalk Black review | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cardo Packtalk Black review

Fuzzbuster

Here is my impression of the Packtalk Black Cardo system so far! 75ED1893-8968-4F08-A607-C5D19361974F.jpegMy helmet has factory cut outs for the speakers to fit in so that is what I used for my first ride. I could not hear anything. @shanekingsley expert advice said to re-locate the speakers above the liner and more in-line with my ears. That worked way better. (Also, make sure all volume dials are up including spotify or wherever your music is coming from) the difference between the factory speaker location in my helmet and the new location is about 3/8" - 1/2" and is much closer to my ear.200F4823-B7D2-457E-B490-5E3FB914C9A6.jpegI used the adhesive backed velcro to attach and did not use any shim material. When I put on my helmet I do have to give it a few wiggles to get the speakers comfortably seated against my ears. All the wires I routed under the liners and tried to not pinch them or have any that would cause a pressure point against my head. The speaker connector is tucked in at the back. I used the small stick on mic.I placed it high and off to the side. I wasn't sure if it would work at first but it works really well. It is also below the venting as shown in the pic. I didn't want it directly in front for a few reasons. I use a camel pack hydration system while riding and stuffing the mouth piece in there would not work. I also grab my helmet to carry it from the middle and was worried I would bump it. If I placed the mic in the middle it would almost be touching my face.8FA0EA3B-6700-4175-873F-C9823DFC61B2.jpegI fastened the mic on with the provided adhesive backed velcro. The cardo unit is attached to my helmet with the provided clip. I installed the liner after the clip was installed, it took a bit of wiggling to get it to go.114EA1FE-C87B-41A1-B9D9-6E11B1157F82.jpeg The unit fit nicely and has not moved while riding.
General notes:
After adjusting the speaker location the sound is sufficient. The unit comes with a usb charging cable but you need a wall adapter, I used my iphone one. Battery life seems good. Buttons and volume wheel work well. Voice commands work well if you can remember them all. The price was more than the regular Packtalk Bold but the speaker size is larger at 45mm, and I have hearing damage so louder is better! I mostly listen to music and it works well. I have also received phone calls and that worked well. I have not tried GPS or pairing with other riders. There is no weight difference or wind noise with the unit on the helmet that I noticed. I ordered from amazon reluctantly and received it next day and it was unopened, no finger prints etc. Overall it is great so far and for an interesting onboard listening experience try movie soundtracks like Starwars etc while your bombing down the backroad cornfields!

Good point about putting the mic off to the side instead of front and centre. Mine is front and centre and I'm sure my grimy gloves have touched it many times. I think I will move mine too.

I have the Packtalk Bold and I wonder how much better sounding the 45mm speakers from the Packtalk Black are vs the 40mm speakers I have. If it's sounding that much better, then maybe it's worth the upgrade and get a bit more volume. When I use the shim's the volume is amazing and sound clarity almost rivals having in ear buds, but using the shim's is not suitable for longer rides because they cause the speakers to press very slightly against my ears.

Last edited:
I'm using a Cardo G9 and prior to that G4. Speaker positioning needs to be precise for any decent sound.
I also recommend wearing earplugs. I can still hear my speakers without a problem. The earplugs cut out the wind noise from the helmet and they remove some of the harness / tinny sounds coming from the 'highs' from my comms.
My mike is a boom mike that I swing so it is just in front of my lips. People can hear my very clearly.

Back
Top Bottom