Car help! Smells like Rotten Eggs | GTAMotorcycle.com

Car help! Smells like Rotten Eggs

sburns

Hey riders!

Been noticing a rotten egg smell around my car (2014 Toyota Camry Hybrid 120,000k). Did some researching online and some indications point to bad gas, have to burn through a few tanks before it might go away. The other could be the catalytic converter going bad, but if that was the case some other indications might be a engine sensor might flip on if it was. I'm thinking it is not the CAT and will try some better gas.

Would a higher octane help, or using a fuel injector additive help? (car only requires minimum grade 87 fuel)
I've never had a issue with bad gas this kinda seems strange. Usually go to Husky since it very local to me but I guess I should be going elsewhere?

Your thoughts!

try an Italian tuneup. You can get hydrocarbon buildup in the catalytic converter if you do a lot of short trips / drive like an old person and never get it heated up. Egg/sulfur smell is usually the cat not functioning properly.

if that doesn't work i'd guess failed catalytic converter, which considering the age/mileage would be more a symptom of injection/ignition issues.

Pretty sure the cat converters stink when they are full of condensation and can't operate hot enough to do their thing, is real bad on a diesel until you get it up to operating temperature.

Before caty converters, rotten egg smell was a sure sign the auto trans was on borrowed time.

try an Italian tuneup. You can get hydrocarbon buildup in the catalytic converter if you do a lot of short trips / drive like an old person and never get it heated up. Egg/sulfur smell is usually the cat not functioning properly.

if that doesn't work i'd guess failed catalytic converter, which considering the age/mileage would be more a symptom of injection/ignition issues.
What exactly is an Italian Tuneup? I haven't googled it yet, but do I need to eat some pizza or pasta ?
I do a fair bit of hwy driving when I am out for work and cruise over 100 generally, so it's not slouching around, but rest of my trips are close by home.

Italian tune up my first suggestion as well
can you force it to run on 100% engine power?
or are those doings all automated?

second is to stay away from Husky
my car needs premium or the det sensor clips the output
car runs like crap and trans shifts like a mad man on regular
stopped to going to Husky - that is close to me like it is to you
as they were obviously selling reg out of the premium tank

pretty sure it was them got busted aways back in the hazmat scam
getting paid to recycle liquid chemical waste by mixing it in the gas

Last edited:
What exactly is an Italian Tuneup? I haven't googled it yet, but do I need to eat some pizza or pasta ?
I do a fair bit of hwy driving when I am out for work and cruise over 100 generally, so it's not slouching around, but rest of my trips are close by home.
Long and fast.

Urban Dictionary - Italian Tune Up

Drop down a gear and run above 5000rpm for 20km on highway. Add 1l of naptha /20l of gasoline before the run.

@Mina has decent suggestion too

a battery on it's last legs with a weak/dead cell
will off-gas hydrogen sulfide as the other cells are being over charged

pretty easy to see if this is the cause - sniff the battery area - but not too vigourously

Italian tune up my first suggestion as well
can you force it to run on 100% engine power?
or are those doings all automated?

second is to stay away from Husky
my car needs premium or the det sensor clips the output
car runs like crap and trans shifts like a mad man on regular
stopped to going to Husky - that is close to me like it is to you
as they were obviously selling reg out of the premium tank

The hybrid system is all automatic, there is no switch to just use the ICE at all. There are 2 hybird modes.

I guess I should go with shell gas, seems what most people recommend even for the bike.

Reactions: J_F
cat warranty on a Camry is 8 year 130kms i believe....please check with the dealer though.
Yes I think this is correct, need to pull out the owners manual and check. If so I could be good. (y)

Just get the exhaust up to operating temperature like I said in the first place, your cat will inherently run as hot as it needs to run or it is indeed broken because it works on chemistry and yes, the warranty on the cat converter is longer then anything else on your bike, that's the rules.

Are you referring to those guys that were dumping waste PCB's into the fuel supply,
pretty sure that was a regional thing and likely the result of nefarious actions on the part of fuel carriers, not fuel refiners.

Back
Top Bottom