Canadian cops beat up old guy | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Canadian cops beat up old guy

Small brain, big attitude, armed?

I think its just an ego thing with these idiots

I've dealt with some morons, but no matter how annoying I find a person, id never jump and attack a guy half my size and twice my age just because hes ranting and posing no threat towards me

I've dealt with some morons, but no matter how annoying I find a person, id never jump and attack a guy half my size and twice my age just because hes ranting and posing no threat towards me
We get that option. Sadly, they are forced to deal with stupid people and don't get to walk away. They can't realistically sit there and talk to him for an entire shift to try to get him to come for the assault. At some point, they need to speed up the process. In this particular case, it seemed to be ego driven, but everybody gets to the point of running out of patience when people are wasting their time.

Never jump anyone. Some people are provocateurs. They push the right buttons to get someone else to take a swing. Then they've got the cat by the tail because you've just become a criminal. Taunting and insulting isn't illegal in most cases.

Recognize the taunting and don't react.

Never jump anyone. Some people are provocateurs. They push the right buttons to get someone else to take a swing. Then they've got the cat by the tail because you've just become a criminal. Taunting and insulting isn't illegal in most cases.

Recognize the taunting and don't react.

Humans are fail-able, chaotic, and frankly the type of personality that would inspire one to be a cop encourages ****** behavior. Make the cops robots. Problem solved.

Hope I'm alive to see the above, and if **** hits sci fi apocalypse plot territory after.

cops handled this very badly
cop blew a fuse and assaulted him

not good

you can say the guy asked for it, was wasting the cops time, assume the cops knew him, etc
it doesn't change what happened...

This

you cant be pro law and order, and then also be pro law breaking from law enforcement

Assault is assault, regardless of how well you know someone or how annoying you find them.

Ron wouldn't listen. Ron was arrested without injury and likely will be convicted of his charges.
Scuzzy Internet numpties should be sent to settle the Rons of the world.

I'm starting to think we have the same problem with our police that the Americans do.
I think we do. Perhaps not to the same level when it comes to lethal force, but we certainly have seen excessive force, evidence fabrication, and corruption.

We need reforms. Better civilian oversight (SIU is a lethargic toothless joke), swift discipline with mandatory termination rules for all criminal acts, and higher standards for education and training.

I’d like to see university degree programs specifically designed for community law enforcement be prerequisite for copping in Ontario.

I think we do. Perhaps not to the same level when it comes to lethal force, but we certainly have seen excessive force, evidence fabrication, and corruption.

We need reforms. Better civilian oversight (SIU is a lethargic toothless joke), swift discipline with mandatory termination rules for all criminal acts, and higher standards for education and training.

I’d like to see university degree programs specifically designed for community law enforcement be prerequisite for copping in Ontario.
I was with you right up until your university requirement. A lot of grunt cop work is super boring. If people are too smart, they can't handle it. That either leads to the cop altering the job to make it more interesting (which may be good or bad but is unpredictable either way) or them quitting and finding another career. Now, a minimum standard for emotional intelligence/de-escalation ability I would be all over if it was possible to quantify effectively.

Sentencing today for Theriault for running down a black kid (who was very likely breaking into his car) and then beating him to a pulp to punish him (while of course claiming it was self-defense, a story which was corroborated by his cop brother). It should be interesting. Obviously Theriault has the wrong attitude to be a cop and should be immediately fired as you can't fix that but we all know how often that happens.

In an almost laughable statement "The defence, however, argues that a conditional sentence would be more appropriate given that Theriault has no criminal record, has never been charged with a criminal offence before, and is remorseful for his actions." So because we know based on the trial that he completely fabricates a version of events as part of his police report, the fact that he hasn't been charged before matters? Obviously he isn't that remorseful as he went through a whole trial maintaining the lie. Complete ahole that has no business being paid public money.

Last edited:

What the **** LOL

Come on man, this is textbook "ok boomer" material (why do you think many tech companies stopped giving a **** about uni degrees?) You do not need a university degree to be a cop. There is nothing academic about being a cop.

The only thing that might actually help is if all cops were forced to take 1-2 years of psychology. But if the guys are smart enough to actually understand this, hello cognitive dissonance and increased suicide rates after of cops.

I was with you right up until your university requirement. A lot of grunt cop work is super boring. If people are too smart, they can't handle it. That either leads to the cop altering the job to make it more interesting (which may be good or bad but is unpredictable either way) or them quitting and finding another career. Now, a minimum standard for emotional intelligence/de-escalation ability I would be all over if it was possible to quantify effectively.

Sentencing today for Theriault for running down a black kid (who was very likely breaking into his car) and then beating him to a pulp to punish him (while of course claiming it was self-defense, a story which was corroborated by his cop brother). It should be interesting. Obviously Theriault has the wrong attitude to be a cop and should be immediately fired as you can't fix that but we all know how often that happens.

In an almost laughable statement "The defence, however, argues that a conditional sentence would be more appropriate given that Theriault has no criminal record, has never been charged with a criminal offence before, and is remorseful for his actions." So because we know based on the trial that he completely fabricates a version of events as part of his police report, the fact that he hasn't been charged before matters? Obviously he isn't that remorseful as he went through a whole trial maintaining the lie. Complete ahole that has no business being paid public money.
The reason behind university is to get adequate training, not just a few weeks at the police academy. Nurses, teachers also have a lot of boring grunt work - they need considerable job specific education.

I doubt attrition would be an issue for the same reason we don’t see it in teaching - pay and benefits are considerably better than equivalent private sector options.

What the **** LOL

Come on man, this is textbook "ok boomer" material (why do you think many tech companies stopped giving a **** about uni degrees?) You do not need a university degree to be a cop. There is nothing academic about being a cop.
You are right, there is nothing academic required to be a cop... today. Maybe that’s why we have these challenges.

Any thoughts about having cops have fair training and understanding of law, mental health, criminology, psychology?

Do you the same about teachers?

I seriously doubt you're getting a job as a cop in most of Canada without some sort of uni.
It is not required for the job BUT everyone that is applying for the job has some.
The competition to get hired by one of the larger forces (Metro Peel Ottawa Vancouver Halifax) is huge, and they won't even talk to you unless you have at least "police foundation".

I seriously doubt you're getting a job as a cop in most of Canada without some sort of uni.
It is not required for the job BUT everyone that is applying for the job has some.
The competition to get hired by one of the larger forces (Metro Peel Ottawa Vancouver Halifax) is huge, and they won't even talk to you unless you have at least "police foundation".

This is only due to degree inflation (and frankly why Mad Mike's post is uninformed), that's been a problem for even some ****** entry level jobs like a Walmart cashier. My manager at Starbucks years ago had a BSc lol

You are right, there is nothing academic required to be a cop... today. Maybe that’s why we have these challenges.

Any thoughts about having cops have fair training and understanding of law, mental health, criminology, psychology?

Do you the same about teachers?

Personally I put teachers, doctors, nurses, lawyers, etc. etc. all far above cops with regards to "how much do you need to think before acting."

Critical thinking is a required skillset to teach, heal, or argue. This is the primary skill taught by academia. It is not a skill useful (or even required) by a job similar to that of a soldier or enforcer. It would be great if cops did have critical thinking, but then you introduce chaos into a career that is primarily based on order. If you think this is a good idea, you do you. I don't.

This is only due to degree inflation (and frankly why Mad Mike's post is uninformed), that's been a problem for even some ****** entry level jobs like a Walmart cashier. My manager at Starbucks years ago had a BSc lol
Ok Mr HR, it’s pretty clear you don’t have a good grasp of what degree inflation actually is and why it happens.

Ever been in an HR role? Ever done work on professional development of a workforce?

Ok Mr HR, it’s pretty clear you don’t have a good grasp of what degree inflation actually is and why it happens.

Ever been in an HR role? Ever done work on professional development of a workforce?

Actually yeah. I've been mentoring software developers since I was in uni 2nd year. Got into a TA position after along with tutoring. Still mentoring devs now. As for actual HR: I write software to do stuff for them ;)

I'm gonna keep ******* with your ego btw if you haven't noticed lol

Actually yeah. I've been mentoring software developers since I was in uni 2nd year. Got into a TA position after along with tutoring. Still mentoring devs now. As for actual HR: I write software to do stuff for them ;)

I'm gonna keep ******* with your ego btw if you haven't noticed lol
Sounds like fun, as long as you don't mind me ******* with your youthful naivety.

Sounds like fun, as long as you don't mind me ******* with your youthful naivety.

Oh no, whatever will I do with an older person thinking I'm naive T_T

Wait, I've had this happen repeatedly throughout my life and tortured them with success after.

Keep it up, I get energy off of this ****!

Police Foundations is a 2 year College Diploma not a University Degree (not knocking College BTW, it is just not the same thing, not apples to apples).

It is and continues to be well understood that scoring too high on your early police exams will exclude you from selection, many reasons... they think they will be bored, think it will weed out the worst sociopaths etc.. This of course does not mean cops are dumb either, it just means they are typically not super geniuses (top percentiles).

The minimum requirement for a local force is high school and knowing the right person still plays a big part of getting in the door. Personally I have no problem increasing the min standards education wise (to be any 2 year college min, hard floor).

As much as I disagree with drug testing in general there can be an application here, including steroids (I know of too many cop examples in my life).

Back
Top Bottom