Can you be mailed a 172 after the fact | GTAMotorcycle.com

Can you be mailed a 172 after the fact

Would it easy to fight if the cops didn't see stand what would the citizen have to say

And how long do they have

Last edited:
Maybe slightly easier, if the citizen witness showed up at trial, as an ordinary citizen doesn't have the same level of expertise or training. Doesn't much matter, though, as you would have already paid for towing, storage, and would have been without your vehicle/license for a week.

You can be charged under HTA 172 from a CITIZEN report.

That would be "yes."

LOL... hold on, you're saying that I can claim my neighbour was street racing, and if the cop believes it, he will be charged?? WTF!!! So much for justice.

LOL... hold on, you're saying that I can claim my neighbour was street racing, and if the cop believes it, he will be charged?? WTF!!! So much for justice.

Police to require surrender of licence, detention of vehicle

(5) Where a police officer believes on reasonable and probable grounds that a person is driving, or has driven, a motor vehicle on a highway in contravention of subsection (1), the officer shall,
(a) request that the person surrender his or her driver’s licence; and

(b) detain the motor vehicle that was being driven by the person until it is impounded under clause (7) (b). 2007, c. 13, s. 21.

Police to require surrender of licence, detention of vehicle

(5) Where a police officer believes on reasonable and probable grounds that a person is driving, or has driven, a motor vehicle on a highway in contravention of subsection (1), the officer shall,
(a) request that the person surrender his or her driver’s licence; and

(b) detain the motor vehicle that was being driven by the person until it is impounded under clause (7) (b). 2007, c. 13, s. 21.

I know what the HTA states, but I would believe that it implies what the cop saw and not what a civilian reports to him. There seems too much potential for abuse that way.

What if your neighbour showed the cop a video of you "street racing"? ;)

Not so far fetched now, is it?

I know what the HTA states, but I would believe that it implies what the cop saw and not what a civilian reports to him. There seems too much potential for abuse that way.

"... believes on reasonable and probable grounds that a person is driving, or has driven..."

The definitions of racing or performing a stunt are incredibly lax, so why should the basic law be any different?

can they still impound the vehicle if it is parked in a private, locked garage?

. Just deleted what I did

Wasn't a wheelie or anything this I was in my cage and was stoped then let go

Last edited:
Although it can be done in theory I am sure that they know that it will be really difficult to make it stick in court, AND more important they will likely end up looking like an *****. My guess unless the cop really has it out for you (or is buddies with the person accusing you) there will need to be some evidence other than just he/she said he/she said.

Although it can be done in theory I am sure that they know that it will be really difficult to make it stick in court, AND more important they will likely end up looking like an *****. My guess unless the cop really has it out for you (or is buddies with the person accusing you) there will need to be some evidence other than just he/she said he/she said.

Making it stick in court has become less of an issue, as the punitive nature of the up-front penalties means that the charge, itself, is a punishment.

What if your neighbour showed the cop a video of you "street racing"? ;)

Not so far fetched now, is it?

I have 5 "videos" of people street racing... Vin Diesel is doing down!!!

Back
Top Bottom