Can someone give me a private lesson? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Can someone give me a private lesson?

Tricks as in tips and tricks. You don't seriously think she wants to learn how to stunt?

I just read into what she wrote.

Im assuming she doesn't want to stunt....but what tips and tricks can a person who just rides on the street and has no experience beyond that teach her?
go to a person who has proper bike experience , well rounded bike experience , race , dirt , street not someone who just street rides and has no basis to teach anyone.
You would take riding lessons from a street rider vs someone who has vast experience across multiple bike disciplines??
Its like taking medical advice from a person who does botox injections only

Im assuming she doesn't want to stunt....but what tips and tricks can a person who just rides on the street and has no experience beyond that teach her?
go to a person who has proper bike experience , well rounded bike experience , race , dirt , street not someone who just street rides and has no basis to teach anyone.
You would take riding lessons from a street rider vs someone who has vast experience across multiple bike disciplines??
I would take a course from an appropriately trained and experience instructor focused on teaching what I intend to learn, regardless if its motorcycle related or not.

I would take a course from an appropriately trained and experience instructor focused on teaching what I intend to learn, regardless if its motorcycle related or not.

exactly

that is complete nonsense. riding at speed on track in a race develops skills way beyond what any street rider could ever develop. braking , throttle control , crash avoidance, a racer will be at a way higher level of skill period.
While I encourage every rider to go out on a track to explore their limits in a controlled environment, there's a lot to learn that track riding doesn't cover, because it's irrelevant on track.

You don't learn any low speed skills on the track, which are much more useful in everyday scenarios like parking lots or making a u-turn on a narrow street. You also learn nothing about situational awareness in everyday traffic - what to look out for when stopped, how to position yourself in a lane for escape, how to look through the car's windows to see what's ahead, the list goes on.

that is complete nonsense. riding at speed on track in a race develops skills way beyond what any street rider could ever develop. braking , throttle control , crash avoidance, a racer will be at a way higher level of skill period.
That’s not the case. Street riding is a combination of bike handling skills and situational awareness. Track too, but the perils a novice faces on the street are far more dangerous than what a novice faces on the track, so the focus is different. Skill levels needed to competently operate a bike on the street are far lower than a track.

Learning to ride involves progressions from to proficiency to mastery of ones technical skills and situational awareness. There is also a healthy compliment of confidence building required.

Instructors teaching new riders don’t need to be masters, they need to be proficient, understand progressions, and be capable of identifying new rider challenges.

Under the current situation, a few pointers from a competent riding buddy is better than nothing.

Did you need Michael Schumacher or your dad to teach you to drive a car?

We get it. You take your bike to the track.

Did you need Michael Schumacher or your dad to teach you to drive a car?
Going right to the extreme and not reading as usual I see .I didn’t say you need the world champion I said you need somebody with experience proper experience.

While I encourage every rider to go out on a track to explore their limits in a controlled environment, there's a lot to learn that track riding doesn't cover, because it's irrelevant on track.

You don't learn any low speed skills on the track, which are much more useful in everyday scenarios like parking lots or making a u-turn on a narrow street. You also learn nothing about situational awareness in everyday traffic - what to look out for when stopped, how to position yourself in a lane for escape, how to look through the car's windows to see what's ahead, the list goes on.
Oh like having some guy off of a forum teach you tips and tricks in a parking lot?

We get it. You take your bike to the track.
And cars and go karts and dirt bikes, and I’m still not offering to teach anybody.#humblebrag

Maybe you should.

We’re really talking about the basics here. Not how to appropriately trail brake turn 2 at Laguna Seca.

You’re correct about the bad habits. That’s why KISS is paramount.

That’s not the case. Street riding is a combination of bike handling skills and situational awareness. Track too, but the perils a novice faces on the street are far more dangerous than what a novice faces on the track, so the focus is different. Skill levels needed to competently operate a bike on the street are far lower than a track.

Learning to ride involves progressions from to proficiency to mastery of ones technical skills and situational awareness. There is also a healthy compliment of confidence building required.

Instructors teaching new riders don’t need to be masters, they need to be proficient, understand progressions, and be capable of identifying new rider challenges.

Under the current situation, a few pointers from a competent riding buddy is better than nothing.
And you’re determining competency based on what? Because you feel it on a forum? How do you determine competency? you want for a ride and saw them shifting gears and they didn’t fall down on a country road? In this case there should be some kind of résumé that applies to teaching people not just “ I ride on the street so I know how to show you how to go around the parking lot”

Maybe you should.

We’re really talking about the basics here. Not how to appropriately trail brake turn 2 at Laguna Seca.

You’re correct about the bad habits. That’s why KISS is paramount.
Corkscrew Laguna Seca is more fun by the way. Anyway it seems all a moot point as this person doesn’t even respond to their original post as of now. Hopefully it’s a troll trying to get all you guys to hit on a woman!

I hope this girl don’t think you’re all a bunch of idiots and never come back to post
Pretty sure the “idiot “is the person posting their phone number on a forum, especially a female doing that. They probably got scared away by all the incel leg humpers texting them

People are reading a lot into the OP . With a M1 they are probably looking for some tips on street riding . I doubt two hours will them the same training that a full weekend course will . I'm just volunteering for an excuse to get out and help out .

And you’re determining competency based on what? Because you feel it on a forum? How do you determine competency? you want for a ride and saw them shifting gears and they didn’t fall down on a country road? In this case there should be some kind of résumé that applies to teaching people not just “ I ride on the street so I know how to show you how to go around the parking lot”
I'm sure someone who has worked as an instructor should be a reasonable gamble on competency. There are a few here.

I might also take a chance on someone who has ridden for 10 years and still has all their arms and legs working. It's my experience that many of those riders have done OK at helping a fellow new rider along the way. If your question is how to evaluate competency than a forum might just be the place to start if you don't have motorcycling friends. That's what she has done, hopefully someone competent volunteers then gets a couple of endorsements from others on the forum.

@Evoex teaches at an accredited school, I've never ridden with him so I can't vouch for him -- but I have been to many of his schools sessions and I respect the quality of all their instructors.

@pfbmgd volunteered, perhaps he can get a thumbs up (or down) from someone who has ridden with him.

You don't learn any low speed skills on the track

1000% this.

Everyone wants to focus on going fast.

Any barely-experienced dolt can get on a motorcycle and ride it stupid fast in a straight line. There's no shortage of youtube videos of that happening.

There's a lot of those self perceived "Great riders" who can't go through a parking lot without duckwalking their bike because they hyperfocused on going fast early on in their riding years and never learned how to go slow with any meaningful level of skill. I find someone who can pull a tight donut in a parking lot without putting their feet down far more impressive than someone who can go just "go fast".

OP is looking for bare bones beginning M1 level stuff. We all started there. More people should be willing to admit that could actually learn things by asking for help, or taking a course (based on your experience level, be it basic, or advanced) regardless of your riding skills, or what you think your skill level is. There's 20+ year riding experience guys out there who could go to an M1X course and learn a thing or two as I'm sure @Evoex could attest to. Most are just too full of themselves to admit it.

OP deserves credit for reaching out to learn things. But it needs to be started at an appropriate level. Rushing off to race school without being able to operate a clutch properly or learn how to make an evasive lane change is entirely counterproductive.

There's 20+ year riding experience guys out there who could go to an M1X course and learn a thing or two as I'm sure @Evoex could attest to. Most are just too full of themselves to admit it.
Usually 800lb cruiser riders who gave it up for the kids or a few years due to life. They roll their eyes when they see they're going to 'learn' on a CBR300 and can't wait till 5pm to roll away on their 30k HD.

I've had more then a handful shake my hand and say "wow that low speed stuff was new to me, i had no idea bikes could handle that well with those kind of inputs."

Back
Top Bottom