Can someone explain this insanity? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Can someone explain this insanity?

bgfa

Site Supporter
Drove from Longlac to Toronto yesterday down Highway 11. Tons of bikes out near New Liskeard mostly riding in groups.

At least 4 or 5 instances where the lead guy would not just hug the dividing line, but be well over it into the oncoming lane like he was playing chicken with oncoming traffic. I would keep having to move my pickup almost to the shoulder to be well clear. Is this a new thing? I haven't noticed it before. This was even being done in straightaways.

Am I missing something? Is there some kind of logic to this? Seems crazy.

Nope. Unfortunately, just some suicidal/stupid riders. People can jump all over cagers for their stupidity and lack of skill and/or attention behind the wheel all they want...but you best ride your bike with great adriotness yourself if you're gonna do it. Otherwise you're going to get people calling you on the whole pot/kettle thing....

You have a legal obligation to avoid collisions. However I see similar things here in a form of mob mentality / critical mass where a "Leader" blocks a lane so the ride can exit a parking lot in mass. Unless it is a cop I don't think they have any rights.
Some riders groups take on a militaristic aura and it goes to their heads. One of the reasons I hate rides.

I hate group rides when I'm riding and hate them more when I'm driving, don't tell me, they were all middle age to old fat white guys on HD's wearing their weekend badboy costumes of black leather vests & chaps, right?
Hold your line, that is a lead rider being little over protective and power tripping. If I was on my bike and I saw
him doing that coming towards me I would be clicking handlebars with him.

You have a legal obligation to avoid collisions. However I see similar things here in a form of mob mentality / critical mass where a "Leader" blocks a lane so the ride can exit a parking lot in mass. Unless it is a cop I don't think they have any rights.
Some riders groups take on a militaristic aura and it goes to their heads. One of the reasons I hate rides.

Are all groups dictatorship? Where are the democratic ones? :p

... they were all middle age to old fat white guys on HD's wearing their weekend badboy costumes of black leather vests & chaps, right?..

No so fast hotdog... I've seen lots of groups with people of your ilk riding in similar fashion. Not all Harley riders are fat, old, wear vests and chaps. Just like not all sport bike riders are young, skinny and wear pretend racing leathers.

I've never seen that done. Standard "wake up, pay attention" signal is to turn on the high beams, and that's what I'd be doing if I were the oncoming traffic in that situation.

It's Reunion weekend. Half of them will be French.

Don't ask any of them to back up a trailer.

I can say this because I am half Quebecois. 50% of the time the trailer will be fine, the other half it's going in the lake.

If you don't get this, I feel bad for you. :)

Oh...and at nobbie dude...I've totally never had someone on a GTAM ride on a sportbike block traffic. Totally never.

Last edited:
No so fast hotdog... I've seen lots of groups with people of your ilk riding in similar fashion. Not all Harley riders are fat, old, wear vests and chaps. Just like not all sport bike riders are young, skinny and wear pretend racing leathers.

Perhaps, but those type DO like to daily bar-hop more than any sport group I've ever known.
I derive my opinion by the frequency and numbers of those type bikes parked outside pubs with a liquor license. You'll find a greater number of sports in front of a Harvey's or Subways, or takeout pizza and burgs.

If I saw this idiot coming at me doing that I would give the ******* room after doing the highbeam thing, with no reaction, then lay on the horn as I went by. Wake up you *******! You're gonna kill someone, and the tail end of the crash will find victims among your own people.

Perhaps, but those type DO like to daily bar-hop more than any sport group I've ever known.
I derive my opinion by the frequency and numbers of those type bikes parked outside pubs with a liquor license. You'll find a greater number of sports in front of a Harvey's or Subways, or takeout pizza and burgs.

It's because most of them are grown ups and have their full M's. ;)

Just kidding...I'd agree with what you are saying for the most part. :)

I passed a huge group north of Oshawa, the leader pulled the same crap, was on the centre line giving me this discerning look, like "I know you want to cross into our lane you evil cager".

I saw a ton of lawyers and accountant types out riding their bad ass HDs last weekend. My issue was they ride 10 km below the limit and hold up traffic.

I noticed it huge this weekend, but with other cagers.
On the way home from the race track in Trenton, pulling my trailer with the truck, going down the twisty roads up here, so many people driving way too fast trying to get home from the cottage, and over the centre line. Had to go in to the shoulder numerous times to avoid them clipping my trailer. Eventually I just started flashing the highs on and off and laying on the horn as they passed by.

I love the "I'm such a bad mo-fo" look of the weekend warrior H-D guys, cracks me up!! But then, so does the "I'm suidly fast yo!" attitude of some street guys.

"My ilk" I'm middle age, white, and 10 lbs more than I should be, I wouldn't be caught dead in racing leathers while on the street and while my bike is labled a sport, it is anything but. Herds of slow moving HD clowns are just as irritating to my ilk as they are to the race boys.

This thread is one reason I do rides during the week when cagers and group rides are less on the roads.
And the reason I ride a naked/streetfighter type bike and wear textile stuff with a full face helmet...don't dig the power ranger thing and or the halloween/kink leather wear of the wannabe badasses.

But then, so does the "I'm suidly fast yo!" attitude of some street guys.

You forgot the matching leathers and stickers.

Seriously, I saw a gixxer the other day, had so many stickers on it...I thought it was falling apart and the rider just needed to keep it together somehow and had ran out of duct tape. That being said, I know
Type "R" stickers add at least 5 hps so I get those. :rolleyes:

. That being said, I know
Type "R" stickers add at least 5 hps so I get those. :rolleyes:

that's the same with chewing gum as you ride your HD. You get 5 bonus Badass points... which are easily lost if you change your facial expression from a stern look to anything else.. ;)

The most ridiculous thing is those who smoke and ride...you gotta be kidding...that ain't cool...just completely stupid lookin.

"My ilk" I'm middle age, white, and 10 lbs more than I should be, I wouldn't be caught dead in racing leathers while on the street and while my bike is labled a sport, it is anything but. Herds of slow moving HD clowns are just as irritating to my ilk as they are to the race boys.

You missed my point. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I'll re-quote the key part.. Your post implied an assumption about group riders, and if they were on Harleys what they would look like. The key part of my reply was "Not all Harley riders are fat, old, wear vests and chaps."

Back
Top Bottom