Calling Anyone That Has GoPro Attached To Their Helmets | GTAMotorcycle.com

Calling Anyone That Has GoPro Attached To Their Helmets

Pegassus

Site Supporter
Okay so I bought 3 items from Amazon for my new motorcycle, an electrical set up to give USB power for various devices, a RAM holder for my phone and TomTom GPS, and a 4K action camera.

I'm not going to attach my action camera to a mount on my steering wheel or the bike itself, I rather have it on my helmet so it can film wherever I'm looking at, if there's "action" to my left on the sidewalk I want to be able to film that, a camera mounted on the steering won't. I'm not going to place it on top of my helmet because some Youtubers say that the view is not truly "eye level" relative to the rider. I don't want to attach it to the side of the helmet because it then won't film the other side clearly. So the only option is attaching it to the "chin" area of the helmet, right below my visor.

Now many Youtubers and some friends of mine are telling me to attach it with this 3M adhesive. No way in hell I'm going to attach a $400 action camera and depend on an adhesive to keep it from flying off in the QEW at 120 km/h. I want something more secure. Do any of you have attached a GoPro to your helmet any other way?

go back on Amazon and you can find a chin attachment that looks a lot more secure (i can't remember its name, but i was looking at it recently for my setup)...i have the adhesive mount on the top of my helmet and thought it would be nice to see what's going on around me, but to be honest, the video had so much movement in it (i'm always bopping my head around to the beat of my music) that it made me sea sick to watch LOL...i had my old one mounted to the windscreen, again, using the adhesive and never had a problem with it (even stayed on after i crashed)...ended up putting my current one back on the windscreen (you can check out my videos if you want on my channel Mazz iz Motoring if you want to see what that perspective is like - nothing great, just me riding around)...i'll see if i can't find that chin attachment again and post a link if i do...

Okay so I bought 3 items from Amazon for my new motorcycle, an electrical set up to give USB power for various devices, a RAM holder for my phone and TomTom GPS, and a 4K action camera.

I'm not going to attach my action camera to a mount on my steering wheel or the bike itself, I rather have it on my helmet so it can film wherever I'm looking at, if there's "action" to my left on the sidewalk I want to be able to film that, a camera mounted on the steering won't. I'm not going to place it on top of my helmet because some Youtubers say that the view is not truly "eye level" relative to the rider. I don't want to attach it to the side of the helmet because it then won't film the other side clearly. So the only option is attaching it to the "chin" area of the helmet, right below my visor.

Now many Youtubers and some friends of mine are telling me to attach it with this 3M adhesive. No way in hell I'm going to attach a $400 action camera and depend on an adhesive to keep it from flying off in the QEW at 120 km/h. I want something more secure. Do any of you have attached a GoPro to your helmet any other way?
Your bike has a steering wheel?

Anything you stick to your helmet increases your heat score and can get you a ticket (and a possible walk home unless you have a spare as your helmet is no longer a legal helmet).

Anytime I attach a camera where it could disappear, I also run a safety cable to catch it if the primary mount gives up. Obviously the safety needs to attach to a different point (around the chin strap maybe?)

Too late for the OP but I have a Sena Prism Tube WiFi that attaches to the side of the helmet. Won't block the chin vent … may still be illegal technically but I doubt cops would even bother with it as that's so minor of a "crime".

go back on Amazon and you can find a chin attachment that looks a lot more secure (i can't remember its name, but i was looking at it recently for my setup)...i have the adhesive mount on the top of my helmet and thought it would be nice to see what's going on around me, but to be honest, the video had so much movement in it (i'm always bopping my head around to the beat of my music) that it made me sea sick to watch LOL...i had my old one mounted to the windscreen, again, using the adhesive and never had a problem with it (even stayed on after i crashed)...ended up putting my current one back on the windscreen (you can check out my videos if you want on my channel Mazz iz Motoring if you want to see what that perspective is like - nothing great, just me riding around)...i'll see if i can't find that chin attachment again and post a link if i do...

I read your post but couldn't wait, have to go on a 300 km ride, I need my set-up for tomorrow morning. I drilled a 1/8 " inch hole through the plastic plate into the chin area of my helmet and then put a bolt with washers and nuts on both sides. It's secure now. I know I'm going to get slack here about drilling a hole into my helmet but it was an oldie and the small bolt & nuts are hidden from view, it looks as if I'm using an adhesive which I left intact.

I'm shocked that a Google search states that M3 adhesive can hold up to 10 lbs. Really? The action camera doesn't even weigh 1/2 a lb.

Your bike has a steering wheel?

Anything you stick to your helmet increases your heat score and can get you a ticket (and a possible walk home unless you have a spare as your helmet is no longer a legal helmet).

Anytime I attach a camera where it could disappear, I also run a safety cable to catch it if the primary mount gives up. Obviously the safety needs to attach to a different point (around the chin strap maybe?)

I don't think cops are hunting down riders with GoPro's attached to their helmets, everybody is using them and in all traffic stops they never give a ticket or mention to the rider why he has one attached.

Now I have another problem, I attached the camera housing to the chin area of the helmet which is always tilted a little bit down when I ride, I just tested it and 3/4th of the video is of the road, I have to tilt the camera up (backwards) so it records straight, not down. The problem is that the camera housing can't tilt any further because the back of the housing touches the plastic of the mount. Well it looks like I have to do a McGyver run-around here, nothing an angle grinder can't fix I would say.

I read your post but couldn't wait, have to go on a 300 km ride, I need my set-up for tomorrow morning. I drilled a 1/8 " inch hole through the plastic plate into the chin area of my helmet and then put a bolt with washers and nuts on both sides. It's secure now. I know I'm going to get slack here about drilling a hole into my helmet but it was an oldie and the small bolt & nuts are hidden from view, it looks as if I'm using an adhesive which I left intact. You already know so I'm not adding anything.

I'm shocked that a Google search states that M3 adhesive can hold up to 10 lbs. Really? The action camera doesn't even weigh 1/2 a lb.
Actual weight of the camera is immaterial in your application. You need to support the effective weight (wind loading, g loading, torque on mount etc).

I don't think cops are hunting down riders with GoPro's attached to their helmets, everybody is using them and in all traffic stops they never give a ticket or mention to the rider why he has one attached. I agree, it is much more likely to be a value added ticket (and one they can use to make you take a cab home).

Now I have another problem, I attached the camera housing to the chin area of the helmet so it's tilted facing downwards, I just tested it and 3/4th of the video is of the road, I have to tilt the camera backwards so it records straight down the road, not down. The problem is that the camera angle can't tilt any further because the back of the housing touches the plastic of the mount. Well it looks like I have to do a McGyver run-around here, nothing an angle grinder can't fix I would say. Please don't grind the helmet.
Comments above.

I read your post but couldn't wait, have to go on a 300 km ride, I need my set-up for tomorrow morning. I drilled a 1/8 " inch hole through the plastic plate into the chin area of my helmet and then put a bolt with washers and nuts on both sides. It's secure now. I know I'm going to get slack here about drilling a hole into my helmet but it was an oldie and the small bolt & nuts are hidden from view, it looks as if I'm using an adhesive which I left intact.

I don't think cops are hunting down riders with GoPro's attached to their helmets, everybody is using them and in all traffic stops they never give a ticket or mention to the rider why he has one attached.

Now I have another problem, I attached the camera housing to the chin area of the helmet which is always tilted a little bit down when I ride, I just tested it and 3/4th of the video is of the road, I have to tilt the camera up (backwards) so it records straight, not down. The problem is that the camera housing can't tilt any further because the back of the housing touches the plastic of the mount. Well it looks like I have to do a McGyver run-around here, nothing an angle grinder can't fix I would say.
I think I still have my old setup in the basement (see my avatar). Mounts with 3m tape and it is a few curved pieces of metal with screw hinges that can be added or taken away. You may still run into the angle issue depending on your lid.

If you're interested I'll check when I'm home in about an hour and you can have it. I should have some extra 3m mounts lying around. Iirc I bought this one.

DSC01760_cc7b6f10-05f6-4633-85e1-d005e7796e25_1512x.jpeg

Never got chin mounted to work the way I wanted it to. I run a drift ghost x on the side of my helmet, minimal cutoff and I get the angle I want everytime. 5 hour battery life (there's an 8hr available iirc) is just bonus.

I think I still have my old setup in the basement (see my avatar). Mounts with 3m tape and it is a few curved pieces of metal with screw hinges that can be added or taken away. You may still run into the angle issue depending on your lid.

If you're interested I'll check when I'm home in about an hour and you can have it. I should have some extra 3m mounts lying around. Iirc I bought this one.

View attachment 43444

Never got chin mounted to work the way I wanted it to. I run a drift ghost x on the side of my helmet, minimal cutoff and I get the angle I want everytime. 5 hour battery life (there's an 8hr available iirc) is just bonus.

Thanks buddy but I have fixed the problem. I used an angle grinder to shave off plastic from the mount, now the camera housing can tilt back to my desired point.

How in hell do you manage 5 hrs on a battery charge? My action cam only records 90 mins at 1080p @ 30 f/s, and thats the maximum, how many mAh is your camera's battery? Mine is a pathetic 1050 mAh battery.

Last edited:
Thanks buddy but I have fixed the problem. I used an angle grinder to shave off plastic from the mount, now the camera housing can tilt back to my desired point.

How in hell do you manage 5 hrs on a battery charge? My action cam only records 90 mins at 1080p @ 30 f/s, and thats the maximum, how many mAh is your camera's battery? Mine is a pathetic 1050 mAh battery.

• Battery Design
    Internal 1500mAh, External 500/1500mAh (total 2000mAh - 3000mAh)

As soon as you put that thing on something bad is going to happen :/ happens like that to me almost every time. They are evil.

As soon as you put that thing on something bad is going to happen :/ happens like that to me almost every time. They are evil.

I still have my camera chin-mount in the basement..havent installed it onto helmet in 2 years lol.
Maybe I should just keep it that way!

On a side note, I was thinking of throwing on some dual-channel dash cams but didnt feel upto the task..

Looks like thinkware has jumped onto the bandwagon as well, now: Best Motorcycle Dash Cams of 2020 (Top 5)

I use 3M double sided tape with a gopro session. It lasts 2 hours per charge. I charge it on the bike when I get home on a USB cable. Very practical.

Attachments

• 20200605_201418.jpg
    20200605_201418.jpg
    670.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20200605-201709_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200605-201709_Gallery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
If you're worried about the holding strength of the 3M tape, try removing a mount that was stuck on with 3M tape. If it has real 3M tape you'll have a tough time.
There are mounts and kits out there that have tape marked "3M", but isn't. It still holds pretty well, but true 3M is particularly aggressive adhesive.

Back
Top Bottom