Cagers sneaking in on the right? Anyone else see this? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cagers sneaking in on the right? Anyone else see this?

I always used to let cars squeeze by both when I am on a bike or in a car, space permits ofcourse. I said used to because I don't do it while on a bike anymore, ever since I had a moron actually pass me in my own lane in the middle of intersection, after that I always make sure I block the lane (only when on a bike) so that nobody can squeeze by.
While driving a car, it's a different story, if you can, then give people enough room to squeeze by and make the turn.

Last edited:
Letting a car make a turn, when you cannot proceed, is no problem at all in my mind. The only problem occurs when the car driver uses that space to try and get ahead of you, which haqs happened to me a few times. Just be alert for that sort of thing.

You're gonna come across pricks who will take advantages of a situation and this causes outrage and in the future we stop being curteous for it.

but we cant do that, because if we all drove like we're on a battle field it only makes our drive worse in the end. If we all spent the entire drive fighting other cars for positions, not letting ppl in because back in 1982 a guy you let in hit his brakes and hit you and now you hate anyone who tries to enter your lane, our increasingly congested roads will only get worse and worse.

Go drive in Bangkok...they have 10x the traffic density and yet its rarely stop and go like we have on our roads...they drive like the water, sure the lanes are there but boy oh boy are they just "suggestive"

Today, I'm riding on a residential street and pull up to a stop sign. Traffic check - ready to go and I freeze. A cager pulls up BESIDE me on my right, and rolls on through to make a right turn. I check my mirrors and the intersection again - and ANOTHER cager pulls up beside me and does the same thing.

I was riding in perfect blocking position: in a two-lane residential street, I'm in the left-hand tire track. However, this clearly does not leave me safe from being swiped by cars on the side as they make an illegal right turn past me without stopping.

Should I pull into the middle of the lane as I approach a stop sign to block these cars from sliding past me, or do I just sit there and let them go, hoping that they have left enough room? Has anyone else experienced this?

This is part and parcel of our need and desire for lane splitting. If you have a problem with this you should be driving a car, not a motorcycle. Your motorcycle does not take up very much space, so why not have cars take advantage of that as well?

The outcome of this is better traffic flow for everybody, not just you. Leave enough room, and you're just as safe as any other time. Really.

Hmmm, I admit that I didn't realize it was at a stop sign. I think that changes it a little. What were you doing sitting there long enough that two cars came up to your right and turned? If you were waiting for others cars to proceed through the intersection, then I'm not sure it really changes the fact that I don't see a big issue with what happened.

I have to admit - I did hesitate. After the first car passed me, I stayed still and waited for her to complete her turn (SUV - I couldn't see past her, so couldn't verify that another car coming from the right was or was not going to pull out). As I'm releasing my brakes, I see the second guy pull out and and I stopped again.

but we cant do that, because if we all drove like we're on a battle field it only makes our drive worse in the end. If we all spent the entire drive fighting other cars for positions, not letting ppl in because back in 1982 a guy you let in hit his brakes and hit you and now you hate anyone who tries to enter your lane, our increasingly congested roads will only get worse and worse.

I could not agree more. I don't get "angry" or vindictive on my bike. That spells trouble.

My hard and fast rule: it depends. If it is wide enough to easily have a car pass to the right with room to spare, I'll move left. If it's too tight, I'll block by moving right. Adapting to the situation will get you far.

If I see cars behind me, then I will usuallly move over and let them make the right. I expect the same from other drivers whether in am in my car or my bike.

If it's a turn-taking thing (like four-way stop), I try to guard my space. If it's someone trying to squeeze past to turn right while I'm going straight, I let them. Southbound Bay at Lakeshore, there's no right turn on red, but I've had cars squeeze right of me, which then makes it tough for me to turn right myself, so I try to block them too.

Perhaps I am being misunderstood.

I have been driving for years, but have been riding for mere months. I am all about being courteous on the road, and will often pull up and to the left to let the car behind me make a right while waiting for a light to change. However, I believe that my situation was different.

I was waiting at a stop SIGN (stop, check, clear, go), and not a stop LIGHT (wait for a minute for it to change). I have never witnessed a car do something like that at a stop sign, and so it was unexpected and therefore unsettling.

I feel your pain. Entitlement is not just about the block, but also about not wanting or feeling you need to wait your turn at a 4 way stop. In Richmond Hill it seems stop signs have become optional. I see people in my area blow through them at like 40kms without even slowing down, and I see this happen EVERYDAY without fail. I have even seen people rush to stop 1 car length early (slam on the brakes early, then take off without stopping) as if to avoid stopping after you, then they try and go around your car or bike turning left in front of them.

It sucks, but there are really stupid people out there, can't do much about that, and cops sure as hell don't care as I have seem them do the exact same crap.

This is part and parcel of our need and desire for lane splitting. If you have a problem with this you should be driving a car, not a motorcycle. Your motorcycle does not take up very much space, so why not have cars take advantage of that as well?

The outcome of this is better traffic flow for everybody, not just you. Leave enough room, and you're just as safe as any other time. Really.

Why not? Because it's one hell of a lot easier to know the parameters of a motorcycle's clearance, than it is a car. A bike probably isn't going to scrape a car, as it goes by, but a car just might.

(Bike lane sharing with car) =/= (car lane sharing with bike)

I feel your pain. Entitlement is not just about the block, but also about not wanting or feeling you need to wait your turn at a 4 way stop. In Richmond Hill it seems stop signs have become optional. I see people in my area blow through them at like 40kms without even slowing down, and I see this happen EVERYDAY without fail. I have even seen people rush to stop 1 car length early (slam on the brakes early, then take off without stopping) as if to avoid stopping after you, then they try and go around your car or bike turning left in front of them.

It sucks, but there are really stupid people out there, can't do much about that, and cops sure as hell don't care as I have seem them do the exact same crap.

We be great if we had mini roundabouts like in Europe..

car-mini-roundabout.jpg

mini.jpg

The way people drive, we as might as well... !!

^^^ bingo

I do this in my car and on my bike, and others do it too. In fact, I consider it courteous to shuffle over inside my own lane if possible to let people behind me make a right turn at red lights.

Dunno what your problem is.
I agree. I do it too in my car. On my bike I'll actually pass a whole line of cars as long as I'm making a right (and there's decent space).

Squeeze and let others squeeze. Sitting in a blocking position is very inconsiderate of others.

We be great if we had mini roundabouts like in Europe..

The way people drive, we as might as well... !!

I tried finding a Google satellite image of them - they installed some in the "Thornhill Woods" area in York region. Problem is, those things only work if people know how to use them. They have become mini deathtraps there . . .

At a red light I'll go left to allow flow-through....at a stop sign people behind are gonna have to waoit their turn... avoids confusion at 4-ways

Squeeze and let others squeeze. Sitting in a blocking position is very inconsiderate of others.

See, this is kind of funny (not "ha ha" funny, more like "funny interesting"). Please bear in mind when reading my posts that I am a new rider: when I took the M2 course, we were told to ALWAYS block our position. Blocking, we were told, would keep us safer (for a variety of reasons). So, as a dutiful student intent on maintaining his own health, I have tried to follow this instruction dutifully.

"Who cares", we were told by our instructors, "if you are inconveniencing another motorist. Assume they are all out to get you, and place your motorcycle in the safest position on the road at all times."

I understand that many riders WANT lane splitting, and that they WANT lane filtering. I can see the benefits, and many of you have described them quite well. However, from what I have read (and what was drilled in my head during rider training), these are not the SAFEST options available to riders.

I agree with AGS: this HAS been very informative.

At a red light I'll go left to allow flow-through....at a stop sign people behind are gonna have to waoit their turn... avoids confusion at 4-ways

Am I the only one who waits that extra second, too? It's saved me a few times - just seeing what that guy who's not making eye contact with you is going to do.

Back
Top Bottom