Cagers sneaking in on the right? Anyone else see this? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cagers sneaking in on the right? Anyone else see this?

C

Charles Darwin

Today, I'm riding on a residential street and pull up to a stop sign. Traffic check - ready to go and I freeze. A cager pulls up BESIDE me on my right, and rolls on through to make a right turn. I check my mirrors and the intersection again - and ANOTHER cager pulls up beside me and does the same thing.

I was riding in perfect blocking position: in a two-lane residential street, I'm in the left-hand tire track. However, this clearly does not leave me safe from being swiped by cars on the side as they make an illegal right turn past me without stopping.

Should I pull into the middle of the lane as I approach a stop sign to block these cars from sliding past me, or do I just sit there and let them go, hoping that they have left enough room? Has anyone else experienced this?

Happens all the time so you better get used to it.

You can either move right to make sure they don't have enough room to even attempt squeezing through or you can move left to make sure they have plenty of space.

When pulling to a stop at a light I shift my position in the lane to ensure they can't pull this crap.

Yeah seriously happens all the time. It's called a blocking position because it's supposed to stop lane sharing, so get out of the tire track, adjust properly to block people from turning right in your lane.

No need to impede traffic with your bike. If the lane allows I always squeeze as far to the left as is safely possible when approaching a red to allow traffic to turn right. I see it as common courtesy. Besides, if you don't allow the extra space the cager will try to push through with what little clearance you leave them 9 times out of 10 anyways. You're putting yourself in less danger IMO.

people do this ALL the time, with cars, let alone to a motorcycle, in fact, you're a jerk if you are sitting there in the "blocking" position if by being a bit to the left you let someone pass you and make a right instead of sitting there waiting for you.

Thats actually one of my biggest pet peeves. Coming up to a red light on a two lane road and there is a guy in the left lane already stopped and the guy thats behind him shifts over to the right lane and sits there blocking me from making a right...So i get to sit there and wait for the green just so he can have the entitlement of no cars infront of him..

In fact a "blocking" positiong is meant to be used only while moving. That doesnt count sitting at a red light. Moving over to the left is actually common courtesy, and i will always try my damnest to be as far left as possible so ppl can squeeze by.

**** like that is why Toronto has such ****** traffic, that and seeing me coming down the street, nobody behind me and you pull out and SLOOOOOOOWLY accelerate infront of me making me brake...what, you coudnt have waited another 5 seconds for me to pass before pretending u're driving a semi truck?

^^^ bingo

I do this in my car and on my bike, and others do it too. In fact, I consider it courteous to shuffle over inside my own lane if possible to let people behind me make a right turn at red lights.

Dunno what your problem is.

^^^ bingo

I do this in my car and on my bike, and others do it too. In fact, I consider it courteous to shuffle over inside my own lane if possible to let people behind me make a right turn at red lights.

Dunno what your problem is.

+1

I don't understand people's problem with this either. Do you not do this in your car? I think the VAST majority of people would, so what's the issue if you're on your bike?

On the other hand, you did say they "rolled" through, does this mean that they didn't make a complete stop? If so, then that is the only actual problem.

I shift to the left blocking lane to let cars turn right. Sometimes I'll push up into the pedestrian crossing if there isn't anybody crossing. I know that feeling of frustration, I wouldn't want anyone else to fell it too. I'm happy, they're happy =D

Happy & Safe Riding!

I did not have a problem with cars making a right turn while I was on the left side of the lane, until I had this car (who was not turning) cut me out of the lane just to get ahead of traffic. Sorry to all other drivers, but my safety goes before driving courtesy!. So now, I stand in the middle to stop all cars from turning or getting on "MY LANE".

As for driving in a car and having to wait, well lets be honest "I am in a car and really 1 minute of my time waiting for a light is really not that big of an issue", because driving is a damn privilege!! so stop rushing!!

My buddy had a cager run over his foot doing this. Keep your eyes open all the time

The pot calling the kettle back hahaha

Perhaps I am being misunderstood.

I have been driving for years, but have been riding for mere months. I am all about being courteous on the road, and will often pull up and to the left to let the car behind me make a right while waiting for a light to change. However, I believe that my situation was different.

I was waiting at a stop SIGN (stop, check, clear, go), and not a stop LIGHT (wait for a minute for it to change). I have never witnessed a car do something like that at a stop sign, and so it was unexpected and therefore unsettling.

I do the same at stop signs which are wide enough for two cars. No different than a light. I understand if its narrow and they gotta cut it close, I'd be upset too... but if there's room, whats the big deal?

i have to agree with mr darwin here. the whole purpose of a stop sign (especialy a 4 way stop) is to make all the vehicles on the road play nice and take their turns going trough the intersection. if cars are pulling up along side him while hes at the stop sign there basicly too anxious to wait their turn to stop then go but instead think its ok because the bike will go straight and they will turn right at the same time. i completely agree with everyone else about stop lights, but stop signs are a whole other story. people dont usually do that when there's a car at the stop sign so why is it ok to do it when there's a bike? its not.

Hmmm, I admit that I didn't realize it was at a stop sign. I think that changes it a little. What were you doing sitting there long enough that two cars came up to your right and turned? If you were waiting for others cars to proceed through the intersection, then I'm not sure it really changes the fact that I don't see a big issue with what happened.

I would do the same thing if I was in my cage and there was a bike that was going straight through.

I think the cager can always wait, but this is not a perfect world and MOST people don't follow reciprocity.

Sharing the road courteously improves traffic flow and increases safety. Unless a car passes me within half a meter, I have no problems letting them squeeze by especially at a stop sign or red light if they go in a different direction.

When I was back in Eastern Europe I saw something AMAZING. There was a mostly straight stretch of two lane road that had extra wide shoulders, but not wide enough to have two lanes in each direction. It didn't matter though because every single truck and slow car was driving on the shoulder while protruding about a quarter of their width into the real lane. Everybody was driving about 90km/h on the shoulder, and yet it made passing extremely easy. What amazed me was that people had this obviously unspoken understanding, almost saying "Hey, I'm slow so I'll make your life easier to go faster." Even the oncoming traffic would pull aside just a bit to make room for others to pass in the opposite lane.

The point of my story is that here in Canada we believe that our lane is a deity's given right, and sadly sharing a lane would never work in Canada because of the HTA and because of driver habits. Live and let live.

Back
Top Bottom