cable tv options?? | GTAMotorcycle.com

cable tv options??

ariesmars

I'm looking for advice from people who know better. It seems like there's only two choices: Robell is there anyone else? I live in T.O.

I ditched cable. Too much money just to get a handful of channels that I actually wanted. Now I just download what I want, and as soon as I get a computer hooked up to my TV I'll be streaming as much as I can.

bell has something called fibe tv. don't know much more about it than the fact that it exists though.

I have not had (paid) cable for 4 years and do not miss it one bit. with my cable internet I seem to get about 30+ channels for free (which I never watch) I also use netflix for movies and TV series.

Antenna.

GTA is prime reception territory. You can get a good ~25 stations, most of which are HD, for free. Better quality than cable or satellite too because it's the uncompressed feed straight from the source.

We cut the cable last summer. I installed two antennas in the attic and haven't looked back since.

Antenna.

GTA is prime reception territory. You can get a good ~25 stations, most of which are HD, for free. Better quality than cable or satellite too because it's the uncompressed feed straight from the source.

We cut the cable last summer. I installed two antennas in the attic and haven't looked back since.

I just read about this. Where did you get your antenna from? My Apt. is facing North (not South) will it make a huge difference?

I just read about this. Where did you get your antenna from? My Apt. is facing North (not South) will it make a huge difference?

Depends where you are located but a simple (any old) antenna should do. I actually used coat hanger and get a lot of channels from my HDTV. Of course I've switched to a bunny ears that sit on top of my set inside my home, ~ 15 HD channels while in Markham. South facing is best for US channels by you should still get a wack load of useful broadcasts even while facing north.

This is the way to go. Uncompressed HD. As long as your TV has a digital receiver (most recent ones do), you'll get a bunch of local channels.

Free. Can't beat that.

i'm glad i no longer have cable tv, or satellite, just internet...i can now watch all my shows without commercials, on any device i like...with my only computer hooked up to the tv, i use it for everything, and watching whatever shows you want, makes it much simpler...i hope you don't choose cable, but then it all depends, i ain't big into watching sports, albeit you can watch it online, it requires hunting around and it is just easier to pay, flick to channel and tolerate crappy commercials...

I stream tv shows and movies online , i wont lie i miss my rogers box but only because it had TMN on demand and so on....but when my bill was 220 (cable,cheap internet,and cheap phone plan) i said **** it.

If you live in T.O. and need cable rogers and FibeTV are your 2 choices. That is if FibeTV is in your area yet.

Neither is great, but no cable company is anymore. It's all the same **** wherever you go. I deal with Cogeco on a daily basis and they are the most useless braindead morons in the industry. Rogers has a much better system then Cogeco. I am not a big fan of FibeTV because the boxes are SLOW. They have an assload of features but they are underpowered for what they try and do with them. Everything on them takes a second or more to load.

Antenna is great, but you wont be getting any stations outside of the local Toronto to Buffalo. If you watch any sort of specialty channel, forget it.

I have Rogers that I barely watch. When I do want to watch tv, I have a compact archlinux server running sickbeard connected to my router. Sickbeard is like a PVR, set it up with your favourite shows and it will automatically download any new episodes as they become available. I can then stream the shows to anything connected to my network, and once I get around to getting webdav to work, hopefully over the net as well.

For streaming to the TV, I have a jailbroken ATV2 running XBMC

I have Rogers that I barely watch. When I do want to watch tv, I have a compact archlinux server running sickbeard connected to my router. Sickbeard is like a PVR, set it up with your favourite shows and it will automatically download any new episodes as they become available. I can then stream the shows to anything connected to my network, and once I get around to getting webdav to work, hopefully over the net as well.

For streaming to the TV, I have a jailbroken ATV2 running XBMC
You just confused 95% of the people on GTAM.

You just confused 95% of the people on GTAM.

Thought it might. As I tell others when explaining my setup, if you have no clue what I'm talking about, don't bother with it. An easier way to do it is buy a NAS that you can load Sickbeard/Sabnzbd onto. If you're still lost, don't bother with it :)

Back
Top Bottom