Buying gear from Europe | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying gear from Europe

Any one have any luck or experience with CapriMoto
CarpiMoto
Yeap. I ordered crash bars and a tank bag from them. I think the items were at my front door in less than a week.

In my case, including shipping and HST the items were still a couple hundred DLLs cheaper than buying locally.

Yeap. I ordered crash bars and a tank bag from them. I think the items were at my front door in less than a week.

In my case, including shipping and HST the items were still a couple hundred DLLs cheaper than buying locally.
Did you get dinged for duties/taxes?

Lately with FedEx you can't avoid it. They simply don't deliver until you pay.
I bought Brembo brake pads about a month ago (delivered in 4 days).
1. The shipping was 15 EURO. If I order in US, the shipping would be ~$50 and will take well over a week! Still could be dinged with taxes/brokerage fee (even by Canada Post)
2. Still was much cheaper and faster then ordering from US, couldn't find the same pads locally

All depends on what you are looking to buy. Also, note, motorcycle parts and helmets are duty free. Apparel generally is not, but depends how lucky you are :)

I am looking at Givi S250 Tool box and its universal mounting bracket. I am also thinking of 2 of each to be able to mount it on both sides of my bike.

1694567379945.png
The items are not an urgent need. More of a want.
I have a way to purchasing them in Europe and having family either bring it or send it over. Obviously I prefer to save the max amount that I can hence the trouble of ordering from Europe. If it ends up being $20 saving at the end, I will just purchase locally.

Currently its looking like this.
GP Bikes price.
$227+HST=$256.51

CarpiMoto Price
€118 with shipping. That's $172 plus any duties and FedEx fees. Not sure what their fees are currently.
Say its another $30 in fees so that's a saving of $50. Not bad but would be nice for more after all the hassle.

Last edited:
Yes. That is what I was trying to refer with "HST".

The breakdown was: $158 EUR for the crash bars, tank bag, and some nets for the top case + 31.66 for DHL fee and duties/taxes

I always factor in HST and $30 for brokerage fee on an import when comparing to local prices to be sure the savings are worth it. Then it's a nice bonus if it slips through. Fedex and UPS are pretty much guaranteed to charge, Purolator seems to be luck of the draw. Never been charged using any carrier that hands off to Canada Post.

I recently ordered boots from Chromeburner because they were have a good sale.
I was given two options:
1. ship via standard post - going from Post NL to Canada post, at a pretty high cost
2. ship via Fedex - at HALF the (initial) shipping cost

@Relax is right: I KNOW Fedex will try to hit me with whatever random, "shipping, import and brokerage" fees they decide upon actual delivery. I don't play that game. I chose option #1.

Took about 10 calendar days to arrive. I was hit with ONLY the HST, but on the total invoice cost? (meaning, the product cost + the shipping cost).
Still, I calculate I came out cheaper than it would have been with Fedex.

TLDR Fedex shipping fees from vendor may INITIALLY appear cheaper, but Fedex WILL hit you with additional rape fees upon delivery.

I always factor in HST and $30 for brokerage fee on an import when comparing to local prices to be sure the savings are worth it. Then it's a nice bonus if it slips through. Fedex and UPS are pretty much guaranteed to charge, Purolator seems to be luck of the draw. Never been charged using any carrier that hands off to Canada Post.
Agree that the best chance to avoid HST/brokerage fee is Canada Post. But...
I've, probably, got extremely unlucky few years ago. Ordered very expensive jacket from Germany. It got delivered by Canada Post and I was changed not only HST and brokerage fees, but also 18% duties! Cost me over $400 on delivery :mad::mad:.

... I was hit with ONLY the HST, but on the total invoice cost? (meaning, the product cost + the shipping cost).

That's a scam that almost all couriers (FedEx, DHL, etc.) are practicing recently! If you call them they'll refund the difference, but in most cases it's not worth the time. I did it only once, because the price of the part was like $10 (which means, there are no charges whatsoever) and the shipping was $30. DHL charge HST/brokerage fees on $40. At the end they did refund the whole sum.

That's a scam that almost all couriers (FedEx, DHL, etc.) are practicing recently! If you call them they'll refund the difference, but in most cases it's not worth the time. I did it only once, because the price of the part was like $10 (which means, there are no charges whatsoever) and the shipping was $30. DHL charge HST/brokerage fees on $40. At the end they did refund the whole sum.
I think this might depend on the "Value" that is indicated by the seller.
If the declare the value of the item to include the shipping cost than that's what you would be paying HST/duties for.

Carpi motor has this on their website regarding Value and shipping outside of EU

"
Invoice: For every order we ship we issue a receipt or an invoice, sent by email the day we ship.
Invoice Value: Invoice Value is the sum of the products plus freight.
Invoice Additional Documents & Declarations : every invoice we issue includes this statement : "The exporter of the products covered by this document declares that except where otherwise clearly indicated, these products are of E.E.A. Preferential origin". For Every outside EU destination shipment We also include a Document we declare that none of the goods listed in export invoice are subject to any export license. No other certificates (ie Origin Certificate) will be issued.
"

This is similar to bringing something across the border in a car.
I have been asked before "How much did you pay for the item, including shipping" that's what they consider the total value of the product.

Is this within the laws and regulations. Not sure I have never read the fine print of the law.

I ordered my winter tires for my bike from England and didn't pay duty.
I wonder if it has to do with the seller. Maybe they are able to adjust for the duty in the original billing, and some don't?

If it was a courier, yes absolutely agreed, and same as my grievance already noted. Difference is that this was Can Post and very cleared noted as HST.
Other times, CP just delivers it no questions asked. Probably just bureaucratic laziness.

I think this might depend on the "Value" that is indicated by the seller.
If the declare the value of the item to include the shipping cost than that's what you would be paying HST/duties for.

Carpi motor has this on their website regarding Value and shipping outside of EU

"
Invoice: For every order we ship we issue a receipt or an invoice, sent by email the day we ship.
Invoice Value: Invoice Value is the sum of the products plus freight.
Invoice Additional Documents & Declarations : every invoice we issue includes this statement : "The exporter of the products covered by this document declares that except where otherwise clearly indicated, these products are of E.E.A. Preferential origin". For Every outside EU destination shipment We also include a Document we declare that none of the goods listed in export invoice are subject to any export license. No other certificates (ie Origin Certificate) will be issued.
"

This is similar to bringing something across the border in a car.
I have been asked before "How much did you pay for the item, including shipping" that's what they consider the total value of the product.

Is this within the laws and regulations. Not sure I have never read the fine print of the law.
In each invoice there is a value of goods, shipping cost and total. FedEx, DHL charges on a total sum (this is legalized robbery!). You have to call them, point out that they used the wrong number (should charge on goods value) and they will refund the difference.

Alright. I'm trying my luck. Order placed.

Agree that the best chance to avoid HST/brokerage fee is Canada Post. But...
I've, probably, got extremely unlucky few years ago. Ordered very expensive jacket from Germany. It got delivered by Canada Post and I was changed not only HST and brokerage fees, but also 18% duties! Cost me over $400 on delivery :mad::mad:.

Officially, import duties on clothing are usually 18%. Import duty on safety equipment like helmets is 0%. The official CBSA site isn't working right now, but this site has a nifty little tool for calculating duties for various types of things: Find the tariff applicable for your product | Canada Tariff Finder

Reputable retailers won't falsify the value of the shipment, but you can occasionally convince them to mark it as 'safety equipment' to give you a better chance when it goes through customs.

90% of the time I don't get hit with duties at all on items processed through Canada Post, but I think it very much depends on the person at customs doing the sorting. A lot of stuff appears to just get passed through without being checked. Taxes are applied more often though, maybe 50% of the time in my experience.

All motorcycle apparel could be safety gear....great idea.
Especially for stuff coming from Europe, which now needs CE A/AA/AAA certification in order to be sold. It's literally PPE.

Alright. I'm trying my luck. Order placed.
Order arrived into Canada yesterday (Sunday).
Tracking info indicated it was waiting for payment at customs.
I notified DHL via their website that I want the "self clearance" option and I received the paperwork today via email.
I also called DHL and asked how much the duties and DHL fees were. They wanted $42.xx in total.

I headed over to the CBSA office near Dixie and 401 handed in my paperwork.
The gentlemen at the counted entered it into the system and said the tariff was coming up as 6% duty on top of the 13% tax.
A minute later he says "I didn't charge you the duty, just the tax" . Pleasantly surprised, I paid $18.46 in tax on $142 CAD value. (This value did not include the 20 EUR in shipping as indicated on the sellers invoice). So I saved approx. $24 by complete the clearance myself.

I emailed the proof of payment to DHL and waiting for them to release and deliver the package.

In total, I paid $171.37 for the items (with shipping) plus $18.46. Grand total of $189.83

Locally I this items would have cost me $256.26 (tax included) so about a $66 saving. Not huge but its "$66 doesn't grow on trees"

As for CarpiMoto
Smooth transaction with quick shipment. Good selection and good pricing.
I think the item was shipped out the same day that the order was placed or the following.

The only "gripe" I had was that my order status was not updated on the CarpiMoto website. I ended up emailing them asking when the order will be shipped. They replied that it was already shipped out the previous day and provided my with the tracking number.
Checking my order status on my CarpiMoto account today, it still says

'Confirmed - Payment Method OK
As soon as we will ship, we will send you a tracking confirmation e-mail.
Payment method of this order has been set."

Not a huge issue but just wanted to provide full feedback on my experience.

Last edited:
I missed the postman this morning by an hour, and they left a notice, so I had to wait until tonight to pick up from my local post office.

In terms of timeline, I ordered from FCMoto on Apr 10 and it wasn't until Apr 21 that they started the shipping process. Then it was another 5 days to get it on a plane to Canada, but only 2 days later to get into my hands. DHL passing it on to Canada Post, and no brokerage fees, taxes, or duty. Best part - it actually fits well!

@Relax How do you like this jacket?
Is the waterproof liner built-in or removable?

@Relax How do you like this jacket?
Is the waterproof liner built-in or removable?

The waterproofing is built-in, non-removable. I haven't been caught out in the rain wearing it, so I can't comment on its performance yet. It's got huge ventilation zippers on the sides, but doesn't flow as much as full mesh. After seeing my tattered up textile sleeve from my last (and first) street accident, I decided I wanted something with leather at least in the common abrasion areas.

Back
Top Bottom