Buying bike out of province - which tax do I pay? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying bike out of province - which tax do I pay?

unL33T

I'm kind of considering buying a bike from BC and having it shipped here or going to pick it up. Anyone know which tax I would pay when I register it here? Would I pay BC tax and then have to pay again in Ontario or would I pay only one or the other?

Since this isn't from the US I assumed the sticky did not apply.

Also, anyone have any idea what the cheapest place to ship it might be and how much it would cost?

Thanks.

Last edited:
i bought a truck in PEI from a dealership while living in ontario, which is the same scenario as all 3 provinces have HST. if it's a private sale, you'll pay the taxes in ontario. If you're buying from a dealership you pay the taxes in the province of purchase. the important thing is to make sure that they write on the original (no photocopies) bill of sale "delivered to ontario". it's a dumb rule, but if you don't then the gov't (service ontario) will try to charge you the taxes again and you then you have to apply for a refund from the province of purchase. The first place I went to wouldnt let me write "delivered to ontario" on the bill of sale because they knew it was done after the fact. i left, wrote it on and went to a different office. still had problems there because they had to call around as they hadn't done it before and weren't up to speed. made for a hassle, but got it done after a day of aggravation.

I think there was a thread on this already of someone trying to ship from BC. www.Uship.com is the cheapest by far, you have to be patient the bids will get lower towards the deadline.
So companies bid on getting your shipping contract or something?

You would pay Ontario taxes.
.... If you're buying from a dealership you pay the taxes in the province of purchase....
Hmm two different answers on the taxes. So far the dealership mentioned that I would pay BC taxes but I wanted to see if they were mistaken as they possibly wouldn't know any better.

I just purchased a bike in Quebec. The dealership charged me the GST & QST. When I registered it in Ontario, I had to pay the Ontario portion of the HST. Service Ontario gave me a receipt that I sent to Quebec, along with a document the Quebec dealership gave me, to Revenue Quebec for a refund of the QST. In order to qualify for the refund, the bike must have been registered in Ontario within 10 days and I needed to submit original documents from both Service Ontario and the dealership - copies not accepted.

Yep, companies or individual truckers. If you ever watched shipping wars, that's what the show is based on. People bid on your shipment, you get to choose the shipper depending many things - open trailer, enclosed trailer, timings, etc... Many of them can give you lower rates because of LTL shipping. I was planning to ship bike from Chicago, shipping companies - $900approx. Uship it went low as $400.

Hmm two different answers on the taxes. So far the dealership mentioned that I would pay BC taxes but I wanted to see if they were mistaken as they possibly wouldn't know any better.

If you purchase from the dealer and they are shipping it they should be charging you the provinces taxes that is the end destination. If you are purchasing the bike from them and they are not responsible for the shipping then you will have to pay BC's taxes. I'm sure as "revrandy" said there is a way to do it that way without paying both provinces taxes.

You will pay PST in ontario there is no HST on private used vehicle sales in ON. They jacked the PST to 12% when they brought in the HST to make it more "fair" to dealers and to make it look like you are paying HST but it all goes to the provincial govt. It is convoluted but you could end up paying both taxes if you don't get this right. I also have no idea how to do this and avoid both taxes.

^It used to be PST but that changed to HST a few years ago. (3?)
So, even if it's a private sale in ON, you have to pay 13% now.

I'm planning on buying a supersport from Calgary and have it ship to Toronto possibly using Uship. Has anyone gone through the process and would like to share their experiences. Does Uship do collection on delivery? Thanks. Also, how does payment work to make it fair for buyer and seller so no one will get scammed.

Last edited:
any updates to these questions?

You will pay PST in ontario there is no HST on private used vehicle sales in ON. .

This changed years ago. When you transfer the bike ownership, you pay 13 percent HST. Many don't realize this and they put "no taxes" in Kijiji ads for used bikes.
how this is a ripoff:

2002, guy buys bike For $10,000, pays 13 percent taxes = $1300
2004 sells bike for $8000, another guys pays $1040
2006, bike is sold again for $6000 -$780
by 2013, one bike valued at $10,000 new could generate over $4,000 in taxes.

Last edited:
okay, heres a scenario..

If you Purchase a used bike from a dealer in another province. The Deaer Ships to you. and They charge you only GST.
In Ontario, when you go to register the bike what do you pay??

okay, heres a scenario..

If you Purchase a used bike from a dealer in another province. The Deaer Ships to you. and They charge you only GST.
In Ontario, when you go to register the bike what do you pay??

You pay the Provincial tax of the Harmonized Tax. The remaining 8% of the HST not paid yet. Make sense?

Sent using Premium Unleaded

You pay the Provincial tax of the Harmonized Tax. The remaining 8% of the HST not paid yet. Make sense?

yep. Thats what I though. The Ministry website wasn't clear on that.

thanks for posting.

FYI - If anyone's looking, there are some good deals outside of Ontario. You just need to balance the costs vs effort thing. But for one thing, even though Ontario has the larger population, and you'd think more supply = lower prices but the prices for used bikes seem to be higher here. Mind you, in other provinces, they are probably priced to sell, as demand isn't as high.

Back
Top Bottom