Buying and Registering it without a Safety Cert. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying and Registering it without a Safety Cert.

chiller

Site Supporter
This is a first for me so I just want to make sure that I have the process correct. I have not bought a bike and registered it at the MTO without a safety to get a plate before.

1. Meet with current owner and work out a deal for purchase
2. Get insurance started and get policy number
3. We go to MTO and we transact there so I can see the UVIP first hand (ensures no liens, etc.)
4. I pay the current owner
5. I pay MTO for the tax and plates for the new bike
6. I pay MTO for a temp sticker for 10 days ($17)
7. I ride away with new plate and temp sticker
8. I get it safety certified within 10 days
9. Return to MTO with safety and get a 'full' sticker for the rest of the year.

Net ? I'm out $17 AND 1 extra time waiting in line. Am I right ?

Thanks all.

Sounds about right...that's how I've done it on my bikes. You could get the seller to get the UVIP ahead of time if you dont want to drag him to the MTO at time of purchase.

$17 is a pretty good deal, you get to ride away your new toy and no additional transport costs/hassles! Enjoy the new ride!

When you register it it without safety, it is labeled as "Unfit". I have read here that it a pain in the *** to get it to say "FIT" again. Maybe I have misread something but I am waiting for the answer as well.

It's not difficult at all; get the safety, bring it to the MTO, and then you'll get a new "FIT" registration (assuming no problems with the bike and you get a clean safety certificate).

I had this issue. When you transfer ownership without safety or asking for temporary plates, the bike is transferred as unfit. If you do this (like I did in the middle of winter), when you go to get temp plates in the spring, they won't give them to you because you cant have an "unfit" bike plated, even if its temporary.

If you transfer a "fit" bike (previous owner had it on the road) and ask for temporary plates at that time, then it's ok.

When you register it it without safety, it is labeled as "Unfit". I have read here that it a pain in the *** to get it to say "FIT" again. Maybe I have misread something but I am waiting for the answer as well.

I had this issue. When you transfer ownership without safety or asking for temporary plates, the bike is transferred as unfit. If you do this (like I did in the middle of winter), when you go to get temp plates in the spring, they won't give them to you because you cant have an "unfit" bike plated, even if its temporary.

If you transfer a "fit" bike (previous owner had it on the road) and ask for temporary plates at that time, then it's ok.
Correct. You can only get temp plates at the time of registering a previously fit bike.

Ah, yes, hassles if you don't get the safety right away and complete the registration and plating process. If that happens, get ready to trailer the bike to and from a shop to get certified.

If you get a temporary sticker (temp license plate) at the time you register your motorcycle (winter) and let it expire since it is only valid for 10 days. It should not be an issue getting it again in the spring for another 10 days to do the safety and what not then. Correct ? Since at the time you registering and getting a temp sticker, it says "FIT" on the ownership ?

From the ServiceOntario website: "A limit of 2 temporary licence plate stickers can be purchased per vehicle identification number or registrant identification number within a 365 day period." So shouldn't be a problem, I guess.

Just to clear what seems to be some misconception here. The vehicle transfer becomes unfit of you transfer and register without insurance.

My process was /is this:
1. Uvip and vehicle ownership signed
2. Insurance
3. Took documents to service Ontario. Got plate with temp sticker
4. Take it to get certified
5. Take all the docs I got with temp and safety to dmv
6. Rejoice

I haven't done 5 and 6 yet. Doing that in an hour

If you get a temporary sticker (temp license plate) at the time you register your motorcycle (winter) and let it expire since it is only valid for 10 days. It should not be an issue getting it again in the spring for another 10 days to do the safety and what not then. Correct ? Since at the time you registering and getting a temp sticker, it says "FIT" on the ownership ?
You can only get multiple temp stickers with a "FIT"(one that has been safetied) bike. If you register the bike "UNFIT"(without safety), you can only get a temp sticker at the time of registration. If it expires they will not issue you another one until you safety the bike.

Just to clear what seems to be some misconception here. The vehicle transfer becomes unfit of you transfer and register without insurance.
Wrong.

The vehicle transfer becomes unfit if you register without a safety certificate. You can register a bike as "FIT" without insurance.

You only need insurance to be issued a plate and plate sticker(temp or otherwise).

Wrong.

The vehicle transfer becomes unfit if you register without a safety certificate. You can register a bike as "FIT" without insurance.

You only need insurance to be issued a plate and plate sticker(temp or otherwise).

So as I understand this, when you register the first time without a safety certificate as soon as you buy the motorcycle let's say, they will label it "UNFIT". However, they would still issue you a temp sticker and license plate for 10 days in order for you to ride the bike and get a safety certificate. If you do let it expire, they will not reissue a new one and you have to tow the bike to get a safety certificate ?

Makes sense I guess, but why would someone need a temp sticker for 10 days if the bike is "FIT" and you can register it for a year. Can't think of a situation when you would need that.

Last edited:
Makes sense I guess, but why would someone need a temp sticker for 10 days if the bike is "FIT" and you can register it for a year. Can't think of a situation when you would need that.

I'm wondering if it would apply to me. I need to drive a vehicle to get certified to sell it and instead of buying a whole new sticker, I can just get a temp one for a fraction of the price.

Unless the laws have changed, you cannot get a plate, temporary or otherwise, for an unfit vehicle insured or not. Ask the seller to certify the bike and your issues are over.

You can only get multiple temp stickers with a "FIT"(one that has been safetied) bike. If you register the bike "UNFIT"(without safety), you can only get a temp sticker at the time of registration. If it expires they will not issue you another one until you safety the bike.

Not really. It doesn't transfer the vehicle to unfit with a temp sticker. It will transfer to temp without the safety.

It used to stay in the other persons and you got a piece of paper that was the temp permit name until transferred fit or unfit but that has changed. Now you have to get a plate with a temp sticker, it transfers into your name as temp.

So as I understand this, when you register the first time without a safety certificate as soon as you buy the motorcycle let's say, they will label it "UNFIT". However, they would still issue you a temp sticker and license plate for 10 days in order for you to ride the bike and get a safety certificate. If you do let it expire, they will not reissue a new one and you have to tow the bike to get a safety certificate ?
CORRECT

Perhaps you park your bike for the winter, and the sticker expires. Come spring you sell it and need to deliver it to the new buyers house or something like that.

Unless the laws have changed, you cannot get a plate, temporary or otherwise, for an unfit vehicle insured or not. Ask the seller to certify the bike and your issues are over.
WRONG

At the time of registering a used bike from the previous owner to yourself, they will issue you a plate and temporary sticker if you have insurance.

They will ONLY do this at the time of registering/changing ownership.

Not really. It doesn't transfer the vehicle to unfit with a temp sticker. It will transfer to temp without the safety.

It used to stay in the other persons and you got a piece of paper that was the temp permit name until transferred fit or unfit but that has changed. Now you have to get a plate with a temp sticker, it transfers into your name as temp.
Yes, it shows at "TMP" on your ownership.

1. Meet with current owner and work out a deal for purchase
2. Get insurance started and get policy number
3. We go to MTO and we transact there so I can see the UVIP first hand (ensures no liens, etc.)

Just some advice from experience. Get the seller to provide the UVIP first, because people lie, and people are stupid.

You should know if the bike has had a major accident or if money is owing on it from the start. I've had morons try and sell me a bike with $5000 owing on it, and tell me they were going to use the sale money to pay off the bike with the bank. If you transfer with money owing, you now owe that money. You have no idea how screwed up the personal finances are of people. You'll see people with a house, cottage, boat , bikes, jet-skis ski-doos etc., all under a mountain of debt.

Back
Top Bottom