Buying A Bike, What Are #1, #2 & #3 Steps ? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying A Bike, What Are #1, #2 & #3 Steps ?

Pegassus

Site Supporter
The bike is in Innisfil, I live in Toronto. I don't really want to pay a trailer twice to bring it home and then to a mechanic shop tomorrow to get the safety.

Can I call my insurance provider with the ownership on hand and get it insured, then go to the ministry and get a temporary plate and then RIDE the bike itself to get the safety inspection and then RIDE the bike to the ministry with safety paper on hand and get the plates and pay the fees? Is that the way its done? Don't know if insurance will cover it without the safety done first or if its vice-versa.

Advise please.

all the insurance needs is a VIN
they will give you a binder - send them a copy of ownership later
you'll need the signed ownership and the UVIP
go to SO, get your plate with a 10 day temp reg on it
ride bike away, get certified, go back to SO and get your perm reg

Thanks! Doesn't the UVIP has to be given to me by seller?
Legally yes. I think there is even an HTA charge for not providing it. I just buy my own. It's only $20 and avoids funny business with people printing fake uvips without liens.

If the seller isn't willing to get you the UVIP consider it a red flag.

Once you had the cash over the bike is yours, whether it has a lien on it or not. And that lien becomes your responsibility since you're the one who holds the vehicle it's registered against. The bank doesn't care that you're not the person who originally registered, they'll repo the bike regardless.

J_F explained the nuts and bolts of the rest of the process perfectly.

Just make sure you request the trip permit BEFORE changing the ownership tho because once it goes into your name the bike becomes UNFIT unless you have a safety cert. Tell them what you are trying to do and they will help you out.

If the seller isn't willing to get you the UVIP consider it a red flag.

Once you had the cash over the bike is yours, whether it has a lien on it or not. And that lien becomes your responsibility since you're the one who holds the vehicle it's registered against. The bank doesn't care that you're not the person who originally registered, they'll repo the bike regardless.

J_F explained the nuts and bolts of the rest of the process perfectly.

I might get f*cked. This is the way its starting to look, don't know if I gave my insurance a misspelled VIN but they emailed me 2 hrs later that they could not process the bike and to send them a scan image of the ownership front & back. Will keep you posted.

Wait a minute..... the bike is a 2015, so this guy has been paying the dealership for 4 years, the bike new is probably $11,000, this means he has paid off at least 90% of it, unless he was paying $25 dollars monthly.

But still I will have to shell out $1,000 even if he has paid 90% of it.... :unsure:

I might get f*cked. This is the way its starting to look, don't know if I gave my insurance a misspelled VIN but they emailed me 2 hrs later that they could not process the bike and to send them a scan image of the ownership front & back. Will keep you posted.
Interesting. What would they care about on the back?

Wait a minute..... the bike is a 2015, so this guy has been paying the dealership for 4 years, the bike new is probably $11,000, this means he has paid off at least 90% of it, unless he was paying $25 dollars monthly.

But still I will have to shell out $1,000 even if he has paid 90% of it.... :unsure:

You have no idea what he's paid or what he has left owing on it unless you accompany him to the bank it's financed through and see the printouts for yourself in front of a teller so you know they're real. And if there's a lien, that's also the best place for it to be paid off and get the clearance letter printed out at the same time.

Without that process you can't assume anything. He might have missed 25% of the payments and only paid enough to avoid a repo. He might have signed a never-never plan where he's paying a nice low amount that looks good on a sign out front of the dealership (IE, "Only $25 Biweekly and you can ride this bike away!") and he still owes 80% of it's purchase price.

Due diligence is key with ANY vehicle purchase, especially a <10yo one where it's value is high enough that there's a good chance a bank somewhere actually owns it versus the person with the keys.

according to the law, yes

but some won't do it so seller has to pay for it at transfer

IIRC there is an expiry date for the UVIP. As a seller I wouldn't do a safety or UVIP until the bike was close to a sale.

I lean towards paranoia with money exchanges. It's easier to keep your money than try to get it back.

This Covid recession has a lot of people under pressure. In the last recession I overheard a comment "If someone's going to lose their house it isn't going to be me." Tough times affect ethics. Buyer beware.

I scanned the ownership to my insurance company, they haven't got back to me I think they open at 10:00am. They claimed the VIN was probably misspelled because they could not process it. I'm also calling the nearest shop around me to see if they do safety tests, I want this bike plated and ready to go so badly.

get the UVIP yourself. It's like $20.00. It will potentially save you thousands of dollars and lots and lots of headaches. You don't want to find out after the fact that there is a huge lien on the bike and more owners than you were lead to believe. Get the UVIP ASAP!

IIRC there is an expiry date for the UVIP. As a seller I wouldn't do a safety or UVIP until the bike was close to a sale.

I lean towards paranoia with money exchanges. It's easier to keep your money than try to get it back.

I don't think there is an expiry on the UVIP, just safety. I sold a bike I had a UVIP with it for at least half a year and I didn't hear anything about it from the buyer.

get the UVIP yourself. It's like $20.00. It will potentially save you thousands of dollars and lots and lots of headaches. You don't want to find out after the fact that there is a huge lien on the bike and more owners than you were lead to believe. Get the UVIP ASAP!

Well it's done!! Bike is plated and insured, got the UVIP and everything is clean. Called the previous owner this morning he claims I "din't need it". I did need it, costed me $20.

Just one thing though, my insurance still can't find my new bike, it's not in the system, but the ministry gave me plates and ownership to my name. My insurance told me to look at the VIN myself on the chassis, well what do you know, it has one extra letter than the VIN on the ownership. What do I do know? I don't want to repeat the whole process, even my safety certificate has the "wrong" VIN on it. Shall I just keep quiet?

Well it's done!! Bike is plated and insured, got the UVIP and everything is clean. Called the previous owner this morning he claims I "din't need it". I did need it, costed me $20.

Just one thing though, my insurance still can't find my new bike, it's not in the system, but the ministry gave me plates and ownership to my name. My insurance told me to look at the VIN myself on the chassis, well what do you know, it has one extra letter than the VIN on the ownership. What do I do know? I don't want to repeat the whole process, even my safety certificate has the "wrong" VIN on it. Shall I just keep quiet?
What is the upside to keeping quiet? First, doesnt the insurance company need the correct VIN to type into the computer? Secondly, if anything ever happens, do you want to have a bike where the ownership doesn't match the frame? That seems like a very poor idea.

I can give my insurance the right VIN to process, but do I have to go and tell the MTO that their ownership VIN is one letter short? I'm afraid that it will lead to bigger problems, like them telling me to contact original owner or dealership where it was bought and sort it out. What if they revoke my ownership and plates until I clear the problem? That's the hassle I don't want. The previous owner rode it for years with a letter missing from his VIN no?

Or something is stolen. Innisfil has been a hotbed of stolen stuff lately. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom