Buying A Bike, What Are #1, #2 & #3 Steps ? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying A Bike, What Are #1, #2 & #3 Steps ?

Arent all VINs 17 characters for the last many years? How did this get registered with a 16 character VIN? Isnt the last number a checksum? Obviously MTO is not bothering to have the computer check the thing that was included in the Vin to make sure that it is entered properly. Facepalm.

Or something is stolen. Innisfil has been a hotbed of stolen stuff lately. Good luck.
Naw, it would had come back stolen during the UVIP search and when the MTO issued the ownership on my name.

Arent all VINs 17 characters for the last many years? How did this get registered with a 16 character VIN? Isnt the last number a checksum? Obviously MTO is not bothering to have the computer check the thing that was included in the Vin to make sure that it is entered properly. Facepalm.

No, the ownership has 17 characters but the actual engraved VIN on the chassis of the bike only has 16. I just double checked. I'm going to give my insurance company the VIN on the bike maybe that will fix the problem.

weird story

MTO has the wrong VIN on file? not enough digits?
somehow in this day and age I'm surprised their system would allow that entry

and the shop that wrote the safety also effd it up?
tech writing the cert is required to take the VIN off the tag on vehicle
wondering if this was a desk-only safety?

OP, if you ever have a claim that needs adjusted
and the tag on vehicle doesn't match the policy
bingo! no soup for you!

edit: just re-read that
VIN engraved in the chassis has the wrong # of digits
Isn't this a 2015 bike?
what happened to the SN plate??

sounds to me like someone removed a digit and chiseled the plate off
why would anyone do that??

Would be interesting to see a picture of the frame with the VIN

No, the ownership has 17 characters but the actual engraved VIN on the chassis of the bike only has 16. I just double checked. I'm going to give my insurance company the VIN on the bike maybe that will fix the problem.

All VINs since 1980 are 17 characters. This is carved in stone. There are no exceptions. Any more or less suggests a VIN which has been tampered with.

Triple check the VIN on the bike.

I don't think there is an expiry on the UVIP, just safety. I sold a bike I had a UVIP with it for at least half a year and I didn't hear anything about it from the buyer.

I checked and you are correct. That bothers me in that an unscrupulous seller could get a UVIP and then get a lien on the vehicle.

I checked and you are correct. That bothers me in that an unscrupulous seller could get a UVIP and then get a lien on the vehicle.
To be fair, they could do that in hours. I'm not sure how prevalent vehicle collateral loans are in Canada but they are popular in at least some parts of the US.

To be fair, they could do that in hours. I'm not sure how prevalent vehicle collateral loans are in Canada but they are popular in at least some parts of the US.

That would encourage me to get my own UVIP as I transfer the bike. But by then the seller has the money. Paranoia.

weird story

MTO has the wrong VIN on file? not enough digits?
somehow in this day and age I'm surprised their system would allow that entry

and the shop that wrote the safety also effd it up?
tech writing the cert is required to take the VIN off the tag on vehicle
wondering if this was a desk-only safety?

OP, if you ever have a claim that needs adjusted
and the tag on vehicle doesn't match the policy
bingo! no soup for you!

edit: just re-read that
VIN engraved in the chassis has the wrong # of digits
Isn't this a 2015 bike?
what happened to the SN plate??

Okay guys, everything has been fixed now. The VIN on the chassis has a "dash" - between the 16 numbers, but the MTO prints that "dash" as a "4" my insurance company told me. Their printers don't have the "-" dash? Anyways, thats what my insurance told me and that was the misunderstanding.

I can breathe with relief now, my new (2017) bike is truly mine now without worries of liens or tampered VIN's. I apologized to the seller because I was starting to send him nasty text messages that he sold me a bike with a lien :sick:

kawasaki_-er6n_600x300.jpg

That's exactly it, with exactly that same stock, the only difference is that mine is in the basement and this image is from Google.

Back
Top Bottom