Buying a bike over the winter months | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying a bike over the winter months

Rossxxxxx

Site Supporter
Hi there

I am just starting to research my options for my first motorcycle. I plan to be all set up in time for spring.

I want to buy my bike over the winter. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone with advice, tips, success and horror stories.

Am I better off working through dealers or are private sales the way to go?

Hopefully this thread will be useful to a bigger audience.

As for me - I am male, 58 years old and married with two kids. I am a pedestrian, cyclist, car-driver and have been riding a 150cc Vespa for the last 7-8 years. I live in the downtown core - so it important that my bike be easy to work with in congested traffic. But I want something big and stable for driving on the 401 and around the GTA.

Thanks in advance

It's a little bit harder purchasing in the winter, people tend to list during the riding season so you may actually be limited on bike listings. Now once you found a bike, it gets rather uncomfortable checking bikes thoroughly in the cold, unless it's parked in an underground garage. Taking proper time to look at all areas of the bike and inspecting is uncomfortable and you maybe rushed to get out of the cold. You'll also have to nix a test ride off the list. Once you found a bike you'll have to get it home which means transporting it....also make sure you take the time to properly strap the bike down and don't forget those synthetic straps are not quite as secure if they are frozen.

Best of luck and try to take someone with you that can help you with the process.

.....I should also add, all bikes should be winterized during the time your trying to purchase...if not, it could be a sign of poor maintenance in the past.

.....I should also add, all bikes should be winterized during the time your trying to purchase...if not, it could be a sign of poor maintenance in the past.

That isn't exactly true. Just because a bike hasn't been winterized doesn't mean it isn't maintained.

Some bikes you see (for ex 2004 with 3000km) I'd then wonder if it shouldn't have been "summerized" too. ;)

Not winterizing could just mean he/she runs it regularly and enjoys wrenching on it over the winter months. And then it's ready to go if a nice dry day ever occurs. Which was a lot last winter...

Last edited:
That isn't exactly true. Just because a bike hasn't been winterized doesn't mean it isn't maintained.

Some bikes you see (for ex 2004 with 3000km) I'd then wonder if it shouldn't have been "summerized" too. ;)

Not winterizing could just mean he/she runs it regularly and enjoys wrenching on it over the winter months. And then it's ready to go if a nice dry day ever occurs. Which was a lot last winter...

Re-read, I said "it could be" not "it is". Personally, I'd recommend staying away from a bike thats been used during the winter months...our roads are salted which causes major damage to our bikes. You can wash it all you want but that stuff gets in everywhere and you will eventually see corrosion down the road.

I did it with my F4i years ago and vowed never to do it again...even after washing it, I found nuts/bolts and all sorts of stuff starting to rust the following season. I consider it bike abuse.

Last edited:
Honda was running some crazy promo's at the bike shows last winter, two of my friends bought bikes then!! Plus, if you bought it in Feb they'd hold it for you, no charge, until May!!

http://ecuflashking.com/Honda CBR 250r 2012_Show_Stopprs_EN.pdf

Brand new 2012 CBR 250's were going for $3,709 (plus taxes and fees, etc.), can't beat that deal!

-Jamie M.

Honda was running some crazy promo's at the bike shows last winter, two of my friends bought bikes then!! Plus, if you bought it in Feb they'd hold it for you, no charge, until May!!

http://ecuflashking.com/Honda CBR 250r 2012_Show_Stopprs_EN.pdf

Brand new 2012 CBR 250's were going for $3,709 (plus taxes and fees, etc.), can't beat that deal!

-Jamie M.

Pics or some kind of proof or it didn't happen.

What I see is:

sport Msrp DIscouNt Your prIce
CBR250R 2012 $4,499 $4,951
CBR250RA (ABS) 2012 $4,999 $5,451

I doubt they'd mark down a brand new bike by $2000.

Did you actually buy the bike for $3,709 or did you just pull that number out of your ***?

Did you actually buy the bike for $3,709 or did you just pull that number out of your ***?
ROFL!! If I didn't buy one for that, where do you think I got that wacky number from? Friends bought three bikes in total, each of them for $3,709 "show special".

cbr250_promo.jpg

-Jamie M.

ROFL!! If I didn't buy one for that, where do you think I got that wacky number from? Friends bought three bikes in total, each of them for $3,709 "show special".

-Jamie M.

My bad, I misread the post a bit, I thought it said taxes and fees were included.

Thanks for the input.

It's already making me think that I might need to focus my search on dealers who have bikes they need to clear or the bike shows - where they will have some promotions. I guess private sellers will hold off till the spring.

I realize a road test in the winter may not be easy to arrange. I think it would be essential for a car to test the suspension. But would it be as critical for a motorcycle to do this? I would want assurances the the clutch/ transmission was 100% - also the suspension and electrical. Presumably a reputable dealer would be able/ willing to certify this. Would I be correct?

I guess the other issue is to ensure that the bike ergonomics are suitable for me. I am not sure how well a simple sit test in a showroom would give an accurate impression. Any opinions from those who have experience in this?

Anybody have bad experience? Are there any scams I should be aware of?

Thanks again

Nobody, well 99.9%, will give you a bike for a test ride, unless you hand over the cash first - doesn't matter if it's summer or middle of winter. You want to test ergonomics/seating - go to the dealers, go for their demo rides. There will be tons of used bikes for sale very cheap come end of the season - i.e. October-November, because many people don't have space to store their bikes, don't want to "winterize", don't want to pay insurance in the winter etc etc.

with regards to the dealers having great deals, i second that one...both of my bikes were bought as overstocks and i save huge on them...for example, in december of 2010 i bought a 2008 honda cbr 125 for $2300 taxes and everything included...the dealer held it for me until march 2011 when i had it delivered...i rode it around for 3 months and sold it for $2100 so only lost $200...my kawasaki vulcan 500 is a 2009 model that kahuna had on clearout when i bought it in may of 2011...that was $5300 out the door, taxes and everything in...these were regularly $6900 plus taxes and licensing brand new...both bikes were brand new, in the crate with zero miles and full warranty...

if i were you, i'd start going around to a bunch of dealers sit on some bikes and decide what you like...then keep checking their websites to see what deals are on...

have fun shopping!

Rossxxxxx
What kind of bike are you looking for?
New? used lightly(2008 or newer)? Or 2007 and older?
What size? What style? Japanese, British, Italian?

Shops have some decent end of year deals but buying private is almost always much cheaper and buying 1-3 yr old bike with low kms shouldn't really have anything wrong with it unless the guy/girl didn't take care of it at all(which should be obvious)

Hi

I am fairly open to a good used bike 2008 or newer if it is in 1st rate condition. As long as there is clear evidence of proper treatmeant and maintainance I would be OK to trust a private sale.

Right now I think I am looking for a 900-1100cc cruiser with touring options (saddle bags and windshield). There should be lots of these around I think.

Realistically I am focusing on Japanese Bikes. I find myself attracted to the VStar 950 or the Vulcan 900. The Silverado 1100 or VStar 1300 might also be a consideration - but I think that would be getting a bit on the heavy side for my situation. I will not know till I actually sit on one or test drive it.

The purpose of my post was not to rehash issues around 'which bike to buy' - there is a sticky on that and I have read it. I am trying to figure out if there are 'insider tips and advice' about buying a bike over the winter months. My assumption was that there would be tons available come Novemeber through February. I am trying to figure out the best way to get access to the best of them (that match my criteria), minimizing hassle and without getting screwed :)

thanks all for your replies -- it has been helpful as I test my thinking on this ...

Rossxxxxx
What kind of bike are you looking for?
New? used lightly(2008 or newer)? Or 2007 and older?
What size? What style? Japanese, British, Italian?

Shops have some decent end of year deals but buying private is almost always much cheaper and buying 1-3 yr old bike with low kms shouldn't really have anything wrong with it unless the guy/girl didn't take care of it at all(which should be obvious)

Nobody, well 99.9%, will give you a bike for a test ride, unless you hand over the cash first - doesn't matter if it's summer or middle of winter. You want to test ergonomics/seating - go to the dealers, go for their demo rides. There will be tons of used bikes for sale very cheap come end of the season - i.e. October-November, because many people don't have space to store their bikes, don't want to "winterize", don't want to pay insurance in the winter etc etc.

Uhh I dunno who you're buying bikes from but I wouldn't even seriously consider buying unless I test rode it first - and that's without cash in hand. People are seriously retarded if they think they can sell something without giving the buyer a reasonable expectation to make sure he's getting what he paid for, and that includes being able to test ride it.

Uhh I dunno who you're buying bikes from but I wouldn't even seriously consider buying unless I test rode it first - and that's without cash in hand. People are seriously retarded if they think they can sell something without giving the buyer a reasonable expectation to make sure he's getting what he paid for, and that includes being able to test ride it.

I wouldn't even consider giving a test ride WITHOUT cash in hand. Sure I'll let em go for a tester but I want full amount in my hand before he/she leaves with my bike. What if he/she crashes? What if he/she never comes back?

I don't care if they leave there car with their baby son in the back seat as insurance while they "test ride" my bike. I want cash insurance.

My 2 cents.

I wouldn't even consider giving a test ride WITHOUT cash in hand. Sure I'll let em go for a tester but I want full amount in my hand before he/she leaves with my bike. What if he/she crashes? What if he/she never comes back?

I don't care if they leave there car with their baby son in the back seat as insurance while they "test ride" my bike. I want cash insurance.

My 2 cents.

I second that, its not like a car most likely the bike will be dropped due to unfamiliarity

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Well - I can understand someone being reluctant to hand their bike over without some collateral.

But it makes me wonder about the potential for hassle/trouble that I return with the bike, but decide not to buy it and the seller is gone or refuses to return some or all of the money.

Maybe extreme but I could be standing there with a stolen bike and be out of pocket for $1000's.

What are the common ways the buyer/sellers manage this dilemma?

Well - I can understand someone being reluctant to hand their bike over without some collateral.

But it makes me wonder about the potential for hassle/trouble that I return with the bike, but decide not to buy it and the seller is gone or refuses to return some or all of the money.

Maybe extreme but I could be standing there with a stolen bike and be out of pocket for $1000's.

What are the common ways the buyer/sellers manage this dilemma?

I think that it comes down to common sense...I've test ridden bikes with zero cash exchanging hands and I've let guys ride my bike with zero cash in hand. It's a risk for sure but once you talk to a person you get a feel for their intentions most times (there's always skilled scumbags out there). I personally would never buy a bike without riding it first and if the seller flat out refuses then I'm out as its a lot of cash to trust someone with while you're gone...say you meet somewhere go for a ride pay the guy and come back to an empty lot with a stolen bike on your hands...but that's probably worst case scenario.

Yes mimico_polak.

I agree a bit of commonsense and judgment seems to be called for. I suspect there are more reasonable people than jerks out there. What I described was rhetorical and would be a worst case situation.

I am thinking that it is best to leave a test ride till the very last, after I have had a chance to get to know the person and verify maintenance and title issues.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom