Butt hurts when sitting on bike after certain period | GTAMotorcycle.com

Butt hurts when sitting on bike after certain period

Aznkid2000

Not sure if this is normal but i am riding a sport touring in a sort of a lean position instead of straight up. I feel like after 30-40 mins my butt gets sore from riding.

Is that normal? anyway to make it more comfortable?

You could try a sheep skin seat cover, that usually works if you can keep it from sliding off. I also shift my back between curved inwards or outwards occasionally, that changes where my butt contacts the saddle, a change is as good as a rest.

Sheepskin, Bead Rider, Airhawk, standing on pegs, reupholster seat, get aftermarket seat.

Welcome to riding nearly every bike I've ever had.

I move around all the time. It makes long days in the saddle comfortable. One of my favorite positions when cruising between twisty bits is sitting on the passenger seat so I can stretch out my legs and arms. If it looks like something exciting is about to happen, dropping into the proper position is quick and easy.

i might go for reupholster as this is a 1 long piece rider/passenger.

What would estimate cost to reupholster? Thinking about something simple to add padding so my butt is more comfortable

For long days on the road, I wear bicycle shorts with a built-in fleece crotch under my jeans; very comfortable.

try clothing changes before bike changes

do you wear jeans OP? the worst
the seams bunch up and cause pressure points
underwear can be a problem too, look for seamless

and agree with the moving around
change the spot you sit on from time to time
changes the ergos of everything

Most likely due to a pressure point between your 'sit bones' (pelvis) and your gluteus muscles in that position.

8YmK0bT.jpg

You can try handlebar/peg changes to change the sitting postion, a replacement seat (wider), or a different bike.

Squats to build up your glutes may also help

aTsZsL0.jpg

How old is your bike/seat?

I had/have the same problem with one of my seats. I could only ride an hour on it before aching. But for some reason this year I am not as achy and have ridden more then 1 hour with not much issues. Maybe the seat needed to be broken in, or too early in the season to tell since I haven't ridden as much as yet, body is not feeling it yet. ?‍♂️

You need to get one that doesn't have a seat then you can squat down on the tops of your riding boots and the rear fender ;)
i might go for reupholster as this is a 1 long piece rider/passenger.

What would estimate cost to reupholster? Thinking about something simple to add padding so my butt is more comfortable
About one sheepskin :) do you want me to price one out next time i'm down at the reservation.

It's always helpful to tell us the make, model and year of your bike. I don't know of many ST bikes that have you riding in a leaning position unless you're sitting way back on the passengers part of the seat.

yeah i wear jeans/dress pants. Riding a 2009 Suzuki SFV650 for 3 years now and happened all the time. I like that seat pad gel idea, i am gonna go check out some upholster places and see what they quote.

@Trials thanks! i might consider it later but its a commute bike and i have limited space

i don't mean aggressive leaning like a SS, just a bit with my butt between rider/passenger position as i am not sitting straight up.

40 bucks at Ikea is the price to beat ;)

Yes it is perfectly normal. Most stock seats are cheaply made and have been designed to enhance the appearance of the bike while on the showroom floor. It's about sales, comfort is not a criteria. When shopping for a new bike, no one bases their decision on the comfort of the seat. Nor do they realize just how bad the seat is in the 5 minutes they sit on the bike. Virtually every known possible way of resolving this problem has been tried. There are air pads, beads, gel pads, sheep skin pads, fancy overpriced underwear, the list goes on and on. If the seat in question is truly a horrible design, it's questionable how effective any of these simple solutions will be. There is a reason why custom seat manufacturers like Corbin, Bill Mayer, Sargent, etc, have been around for 40 years or more selling seats that cost from $500 to $1000 US. If you have a bike your going to keep and ride for 10 years, and you ride quite a lot, buying a nice seat makes a lot of sense.

don't go to an upholsterer...they'll charge an arm and a leg...go to a place like Lens Mill and pick up some sleeping foam...they have all sizes and thicknesses...take your seat off, then take the covering off (usually held on with industrial staples)...cut the foam to shape and put it back together using a staple gun...that's what we did to my hubby's seat on his FZ1...worked great and super easy...

yeah i wear jeans/dress pants. Riding a 2009 Suzuki SFV650 for 3 years now and happened all the time. I like that seat pad gel idea, i am gonna go check out some upholster places and see what they quote.

@Trials thanks! i might consider it later but its a commute bike and i have limited space

i don't mean aggressive leaning like a SS, just a bit with my butt between rider/passenger position as i am not sitting straight up.
It's worth getting prices, but when I looked 15 years ago, most were +/- $200 to make a new cover without touching the foam. Obviously your situation is different, but I ended up doing it myself.

Back
Top Bottom