Burl. Skyway warning... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Burl. Skyway warning...

Hack

Just heads up to anyone riding Toronto bound on the Burlington Skyway...

I was on it today and noticed.. As you ascend the bridge TO bound it looks as if there's been some work done (expansion joints?)…. Area in question looks like concrete, light grey... Not asphalt black.
Not usually a big deal, however... There looks to be rather large gaps, 3 to 4 inches wide and about 3 feet long parallel to the flow of traffic...
Anyone running a bike with a sorta skinny front wheel.... Be careful.
The gaps appear to go right through the road... You can look through and see the road/water below...Lol

Last edited:

I was on it today and noticed.. As you ascend the bridge TO bound it looks as if there's been some work done (expansion joints?)…. Area in question looks like concrete, light grey... Not asphalt black.
Not usually a big deal, however... There looks to be rather large gaps, 3 to 4 inches wide and about 3 feet long perpendicular to the flow of traffic...
The gaps appear to go right through the road... You can look through and see the road/water below...Lol
Parallel? Perpendicular shouldn't cause an issue. Parallel would really suck.

Last edited:
i saw a crew blasting lines on Tremaine the other day and then filling in with whatever it is that they use for tar snakes...could it be that's what they're doing? mind you, that would be one heck of a wide tar snake...

i saw a crew blasting lines on Tremaine the other day and then filling in with whatever it is that they use for tar snakes...could it be that's what they're doing? mind you, that would be one heck of a wide tar snake...

The work I'm talking about appears complete... no tar... just wide spaces of no road...
I mean I 'was' travelling at speed and what I saw brought to me a WTF? moment...

Kept an eye open on the next one and sure enough... WTF..!!!

Anyway... be aware... I don't want anyone on their 250 ninja to have their front tire swallowed

Not usually a big deal, however... There looks to be rather large gaps, 3 to 4 inches wide and about 3 feet long parallel to the flow of traffic...

Thanks for the ‘heads up’. Was it in one particular lane or did it look like more than one lane was affected?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the ‘heads up’. Was it in one particular lane or did it look like more than one lane was affected?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was in the left lane... I saw at least two sections where this apparent hazard existed.

Yeah, the new ones are even wider than the ones that used to be there on "way down" awhile back. I often wonder if it would catch my front tire when I ride by!

They are in the left two lanes.

THIS DOCUMENT IS STRICTLY A GUIDELINE FOR ONTARIO CONSTRUCTION AND MAY BE SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE. DISTRIBUTION TO PERSONS OTHER THAN THE INTENDED RECIPIENTS IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED

Shhhhh it's a secret.

If this is a danger to any vehicle who do you report it to?

Quick, somebody get a 250 or 300, crash in full gear over there, then sue the construction company!

(Would that work out of curiosity? lol)

Quick, somebody get a 250 or 300, crash in full gear over there, then sue the construction company!

(Would that work out of curiosity? lol)

You'd have to ask all the people that got injured by slippery steel plates and gas explosions if it was worth it.

Quick, somebody get a 250 or 300, crash in full gear over there, then sue the construction company! (Would that work out of curiosity? lol)

I think dropping your front wheel into the gap, as described, at highway speeds would be a very ugly accident, not to mention that based on the usual traffic on the NB Skyway you'd probably be run over a few times and it would be your Estate doing the suing......... So I think I'll pass on this.

I think dropping your front wheel into the gap, as described, at highway speeds would be a very ugly accident, not to mention that based on the usual traffic on the NB Skyway you'd probably be run over a few times and it would be your Estate doing the suing......... So I think I'll pass on this.
If they are only 3' long and you are moving, it probably wouldn't be much worse than a bad pot hole. 3' is only 1/27th of a second at 100 km/h. If the length is wrong (hard to evaluate at speed) or if you are going slower, yes there is a good chance you drop in and get bucked off. It is more dangerous as an edge trap than a straight hole (although again the short length may scare the crap out of you but shouldn't knock you down).

Yeah I made it a point to look for them on my way into work today. The holes are certainly there (They look familiar, I think it’s been that way for a while I just didn’t pay much attention before) but I wouldn’t be that concerned. Im pretty confident almost all bikes would get up and over them no problem at highway speeds. In fairness I’m not confident enough to suggest people try the experiment out.

Maybe a CBR125 but even then I think you would have to aim it dead on to get sucked in.

Back
Top Bottom