building a PC geek talk... | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

building a PC geek talk...

I would think that you'd need some sort of power amp to drive the speakers.

Yes, was just wondering if there was a smaller amp. When I google searched it I came up with some small amps but they all go to L & R cables... though now that I think about it I could just get a L&R cable to 3.5mm jack

was looking at this
Nobsound Mini Dual TPA3116 Digital Power Amplifier HiFi Stereo Amp Audiophile-Grade 2.0 Channel 100W×2 NE5532P Pre-Amp (Black): Amazon.ca: Electronics

Last edited:
Just a head's up, There is no 12v power supply included. If you have to spend extra to get one I would just go one step up to the $82 one and get the PS, DAC and optical included as well.

I would think that you'd need some sort of power amp to drive the speakers.
Yup, you need an amp. Now it doesnt need to be the big denon, they make desktop two channel amps for you situation that are about the size of a hamburger.

Just a head's up, There is no 12v power supply included. If you have to spend extra to get one I would just go one step up to the $82 one and get the PS, DAC and optical included as well.

Yes I noticed that, ordered it from amazon but from a different seller who had the power supply included for only $10 more and it was prime so free shipping and will get it tomorrow.

Yes I noticed that, ordered it from amazon but from a different seller who had the power supply included for only $10 more and it was prime so free shipping and will get it tomorrow.
Let us know how you like it. It may be a decent little amp, but I just get annoyed by all the audiofoolery. 100Wx2 my ass.

Let us know how you like it. It may be a decent little amp, but I just get annoyed by all the audiofoolery. 100Wx2 my ass.
are you saying 100W x 2 is not possible from such a little amp? Was debating plugging in my tower speakers just for the fun of it as all they do is collect dust in the closet at the moment

are you saying 100W x 2 is not possible from such a little amp? Was debating plugging in my tower speakers just for the fun of it as all they do is collect dust in the closet at the moment
It will be safe to hook up, just listen to the sound as you turn it up, you will hear when it gets unhappy and don't run in that loud or you will hurt things. My suspicion is that thd will be very high at 200W and the temp of the amp will very quickly climb. There is no where near enough cooling for those output levels. On the upside, very very few home systems are run at anywhere near 100 watts/channel for any length of time. At the 10 watts or less you are probably using, it should work just fine.

It will be safe to hook up, just listen to the sound as you turn it up, you will hear when it gets unhappy and don't run in that loud or you will hurt things. My suspicion is that thd will be very high at 200W and the temp of the amp will very quickly climb. There is no where near enough cooling for those output levels. On the upside, very very few home systems are run at anywhere near 100 watts/channel for any length of time. At the 10 watts or less you are probably using, it should work just fine.

I am not blaring any audio, listen to sound from games at a normal level. I did receive the little amp today, feels pretty solid, was expecting a cheap plastic case... just need to get rid of that nobsound label

One clear solid watt output was loud enough, that even my dad could hear it anywhere in the house, and he's deaf as a stump.

Are you sure about the temperature thing? My understanding is that the controllers don't really like heat, but the actual Nand chips like to be run warmer. I think the heat spreaders are just for marketing/aesthetics (and some M.2 heat sinks actually raise the temperature of the drive through crappy contact and elimination of convection over the drive so it's hard to tell what their effect will be). For the vast majority of the people, the vast majority of the time, I don't think heat in an M.2 drive matters one way or the other.

This is correct. The whole heat sink thing came about as many controllers will experience thermal throttling on a heavy load. "Heavy" generally being borderline abuse AFAIK.

As for NVMe vs SATA (whether M.2 or other form factor) there are various minor advantages, that do not necessarily add up to make a noticeable difference to an end user. Other factors can make a much bigger difference, e.g. how well optimized the BIOS is for quick booting (why my eight year old desktop boots in half the time of my one year old laptop). On the other hand NVMe is getting so cheap these days that you might as well, and spending a few dollars more on storage will make more of a perceived performance difference than spending a few dollars more on a faster processor.

Back
Top Bottom