Brand new rider from Toronto | GTAMotorcycle.com

Brand new rider from Toronto

sevet

Hi guys, a new rider here. Never even ridden a motorcycle around a parking lot. Been wanting one for years, finally took the plunge. Got my M1 recently, and will be taking the MSF at the end of March/beginning of April to get my M2 before picking up my Ninja 300.

Nice..welcome to the forum. Def a good choice picking up the Ninja-300;)

Thanks! Couldn't pass up a decent deal on one!

Welcome!
Wheelie.gif

Welcome. It's better to take the course first, then look for insurance, then a bike.

People get burned when they find they don't like riding, or can't afford insurance, if they already have a bike.

Welcome. It's better to take the course first, then look for insurance, then a bike.

People get burned when they find they don't like riding, or can't afford insurance, if they already have a bike.

Well i already pulled the trigger and bought the bike :D. I got some theoretical quotes (as if I already have my M2) already, wasnt bad.

Even as a brand new rider in Toronto, being over 25 with no tickets in the last 5 years on a 300 is decent for insurance.

Welcome, good choice of bike even if you did put the cart before the horse. ;)

Well i already pulled the trigger and bought the bike :D. I got some theoretical quotes (as if I already have my M2) already, wasnt bad.

Even as a brand new rider in Toronto, being over 25 with no tickets in the last 5 years on a 300 is decent for insurance.

What did it end up being if you don't mind me asking.

Welcome, good choice of bike even if you did put the cart before the horse. ;)

Haha yeah it was a little backwards, but I knew I wanted to ride this summer and if I waited until April to buy I would've paid (marginally I guess) more.

Also wouldn't have bought so early if I didn't find (what I think at least is) a good deal on a 300.

Haha yeah it was a little backwards, but I knew I wanted to ride this summer and if I waited until April to buy I would've paid (marginally I guess) more.

Also wouldn't have bought so early if I didn't find (what I think at least is) a good deal on a 300.

I bought a bike before getting my licence and I'm glad I did. Bought at the right time so i saved a ton of cash, you skip the "omg I have to ride it now" phase and spend quality time tending to the maintenance of the bike, changing the oil and getting a base line on all the fluids before you start riding it. You have time to shop around for insurance and get an idea of what to expect. Research everything about the bike etc.

There's more but I found many good things about buying a bike before you get your licence. The only time it would be a bad thing is if you bought a supersport and didn't think about the finacial commitment that comes with it.

Otherwise enjoy the quiet time with your bike. Clean it and go around the whole bike and tighten everything, clean the chain and spend some time with the fenders off.

I have no regrets. It's all good.

Last edited:
I bought a bike before getting my licence and I'm glad I did. Bought at the right time so i saved a ton of cash, you skip the "omg I have to ride it now" phase and spend quality time tending to the maintenance of the bike, changing the oil and getting a base line on all the fluids before you start riding it. You have time to shop around for insurance and get an idea of what to expect. Research everything about the bike etc.

There's more but I found many good things about buying a bike before you get your licence. The only time it would be a bad thing is if you bought a supersport and didn't think about the finacial commitment that comes with it.

Otherwise enjoy the quiet time with your bike. Clean it and go around the whole bike and tighten everything, clean the chain and spend some time with the fenders off.

Why do you "have to ride it now"? All but one of my bikes have been delivered to somewhere that I could set it up, and check it out, before riding it.

Another time would be if you decided that you didn't like riding after taking the course. There are others as well. My first bike was $1200, and $225 / year to insure. That was after I'd taken the course, about 10 years ago.

The bike's sitting in storage with the dealer until I do the MSF and get insurance. So I can't even look at it yet :sad7:

I bought a bike before getting my licence and I'm glad I did.

You have time to shop around for insurance and get an idea of what to expect. Research everything about the bike etc.

Just sayin...that's terrible advice to give any new rider. ALWAYS call for insurance first BEFORE buying a bike.

Ask gsxrJay (another thread from a few weeks back) how that worked out for him. Plenty of other horror stories as well.

Just sayin...that's terrible advice to give any new rider. ALWAYS call for insurance first BEFORE buying a bike.

Ask gsxrJay (another thread from a few weeks back) how that worked out for him. Plenty of other horror stories as well.

Well considering the OP bought a Ninja 300 I thought it was common sense I wasn't telling him to buy an R1, sometimes these things go without saying.

The people who buy a supersport as a first bike deserve to pay an extreme amount because they are a real risk to themselves and the public.

I slightly skipped a stage when buying my first bike and went with a "standard" 600 but I also have experience on 2 wheels. An EX300 is the perfect bike for someone like him. He did just fine.

Oh I got bike quotes well before I was ready to buy anything

The people who buy a supersport as a first bike deserve to pay an extreme amount because they are a real risk to themselves and the public.

It's more about the fact that many new riders have zero understanding that they're buying a bike they might very well be either completely uninsurable on (ie, no insurance company will even offer to write them), or priced at such a rate that said new rider can't afford it. There was a guy a few months back who got quotes of over $1000/month...linked below.

Read this thread, particularly around post 36 to read Jay's horror story.

And here's another guy who was getting $1000/month quotes (on a 250!) because he had the bike financed and didn't realize that means he needed full coverage, not just liability.

All of these (and countless more) are why the cardinal rule is to never buy a bike without knowing how much it's gonna cost you to insure it. Needless to say not many young new riders can afford $700-$1100/month to insure a bike, sadly many don't find out these realities until after they've made the purchase decision. Gsxrjay is almost certainly desperately trying to either get out of his purchase at the dealer, or trying to resell the bike at an inevitable financial kick in the nuts. He hasn't responded to share the pain with us.

It's more about the fact that many new riders have zero understanding that they're buying a bike they might very well be either completely uninsurable on (ie, no insurance company will even offer to write them), or priced at such a rate that said new rider can't afford it. There was a guy a few months back who got quotes of over $1000/month...linked below.

Read this thread, particularly around post 36 to read Jay's horror story.

And here's another guy who was getting $1000/month quotes (on a 250!) because he had the bike financed and didn't realize that means he needed full coverage, not just liability.

All of these (and countless more) are why the cardinal rule is to never buy a bike without knowing how much it's gonna cost you to insure it. Needless to say not many young new riders can afford $700-$1100/month to insure a bike, sadly many don't find out these realities until after they've made the purchase decision. Gsxrjay is almost certainly desperately trying to either get out of his purchase at the dealer, or trying to resell the bike at an inevitable financial kick in the nuts. He hasn't responded to share the pain with us.

I do agree with you. I'm just saying if someone comes across a good deal on a "starter bike" there is no reason to think they will get a big surprise on insurance.

Admittedly i took a chance getting the 600 as a first bike but I did my research and made sure it was "categorized" properly so that I would avoid the sportbike mark up, which It does and as a result my insurance isn't an issue.

An there is NO excuse for someone financing a vehicle without knowing it must be fully insured. That's just stupidity and I have no sympathy for people who completely lack common sense. So I guess he thought if the bike gets totaled the bank just says "oh wells" and forgets about the several thousand dollars you "borrowed" from them? Or did you want to get stuck paying for a bike you no longer have for the next 5 years?

Sometimes common sense is anything but common.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom