Bought in Quebec a motorcycle and register in ontario | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bought in Quebec a motorcycle and register in ontario

You are going to have to talk to the border and the country that you are importing it to.

I doubt that you will be able to ship an unregistered motorcycle and there is no way to get around paying the taxes. There may be a way to get reimbursed later depending on your citizenship.

You are pretty far out in the weeds here. I think you need to do a bunch of research on this before you buy anything.
I went to Service Ontario. I explained that the bike bought won't need registration because it will be put and shipped in a container.
That's why I don't need to pay taxes, why would I since I will not be driving/registering it in Canada.

I only need the permit of the bike which will show the details of the bike itself + a contract or in other words bill of sale which will show that someone signed and passed the ownership to me.

That's why it confused me when ppl say ownership. That part is done when someone puts the signature on the bill of sale. Registering it is a completely different thing. I dunno, I'm using the logic from Europe

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

That makes sense. It will be difficult to get the bike in your name without paying taxes. As SC said, shipping a bike internationally in someone else's name may not go smoothly (eg is a signed qc ownership sufficient to allow registration in Europe? I would be surprised if it was). Good luck, let us know how it goes amd if there are any lessons we can benefit from.
I will pay taxes on it in the country I register it in. Almost the same thing like what other threads have been saying when buying in Quebec and registering in Ontario. You do not need to pay taxes in Quebec but in the place you register it in.

What I just realized is that Quebec then is a separate country or rather a ln almost diferent entity. Which also makes sense because they are a separate province:).

But one could argue that the system is really stupid here.

I went to Service Ontario. I explained that the bike bought won't need registration because it will be put and shipped in a container.
That's why I don't need to pay taxes, why would I since I will not be driving/registering it in Canada.

I only need the permit of the bike which will show the details of the bike itself + a contract or in other words bill of sale which will show that someone signed and passed the ownership to me.

That's why it confused me when ppl say ownership. That part is done when someone puts the signature on the bill of sale. Registering it is a completely different thing. I dunno, I'm using the logic from Europe

Interested to see how this turns out I would bet service Ontario makes you pay pst when you try and obtain a ownership.

Sent from the future

When you export a vehicle, border control will run the vin to check that it's not stolen, has no liens, and the exporter is the registered owner.
... so YES you have to register it in your name before you can export it out of Canada. (there are ways around this but registering it your name is the cheapest way out)
You're talking about provincial laws, the border is federal.
I have exported several bikes without an "ownership", but the bikes had never been registered, they were race bikes and I had to supply a declaration of ownership.

When you export a vehicle, border control will run the vin to check that it's not stolen, has no liens, and the exporter is the registered owner.
... so YES you have to register it in your name before you can export it out of Canada. (there are ways around this but registering it your name is the cheapest way out)
You're talking about provincial laws, the border is federal.
I have exported several bikes without an "ownership", but the bikes had never been registered, they were race bikes and I had to supply a declaration of ownership.

But this bike will be in the same category as those race bikes , won't it? Because it will not be driven on the streets of Canada.

If I register it to service Ontario won't I have to pay taxes then?

I will go to service Canada I guess. They should provide 100% info.

I trust you but I can't believe I will have to pay taxes on something that is not going to be used here

Last edited:
Interested to see how this turns out I would bet service Ontario makes you pay pst when you try and obtain a ownership.

Sent from the future
That's my whole logic, why do I need ownership (registration) when I have a signed vehicle transfer + bill of sale.

My sleep has been bad this last week trying to figure this out , cortisol levels rising

My bad for not clarifying everything.

My case is different because I plan to get the bike in a container and ship it to Europe and register/drive it there.

The word ownership being the same as registration is a little bit misleading because you become the owner buy buying the bike and the seller signing the bill of sale.

Registerinf on the other hand should signify putting plates on it, that would be more precise if you ask me.

So I think in my case , I do not plan on registering the bike and do not need to pay taxes either in QC or Ontario.

I think that the only thing I need is the bill of sale and signed back of the permit of the bike, for the transfer. That way I become the owner and I can prove it with the documents mentioned above.

Does this make sense at all

I have shipped a bike to Europe several times. Each time, I needed to demonstrate that the vehicle was registered and plated in my name. I don't believe European authorities are going to look at a bill of sale as an official document.

If you believe differently then okay and best of luck.

I have shipped a bike to Europe several times. Each time, I needed to demonstrate that the vehicle was registered and plated in my name. I don't believe European authorities are going to look at a bill of sale as an official document.

If you believe differently then okay and best of luck.

Who exactly asked about the plates and registration?

What about here in Canada, when you got it on to the container, do they ask you for documents?

I don't know about Europe but you can end up in purgatory on a bike deal to/from the US if the vehicle was not properly exported. There is paper work to export the bike and paperwork to import it. If it was never exported, it cannot be imported.

EDIT:
I don't know about quebec but Ontario doesn't have minimum prices for the vast majority of bikes (some 2022 and newer have prices). If you were to tell service ontario that you bought the bike for $1, you would owe $0.13 in tax. That is a hell of a lot cheaper and easier than banging your head against the wall and trying to export a bike you don't own.

Last edited:
What about here in Canada, when you got it on to the container, do they ask you for documents?

The shipper only cares about getting your money. Anything else is just advisory. Ultimately, making sure you have all the necessary documents is your responsibility. If you get stuck on the other side at the government counter because you haven't done your due diligence, the shipper doesn't care at that point. Your money is already in their bank account.

I don't know about Europe but you can end up in purgatory on a bike deal to/from the US if the vehicle was not properly exported. There is paper work to export the bike and paperwork to import it. If it was never exported, it cannot be imported.

100% this.

We rode our South African-registered motorcycles north across several borders all the way to Kenya and shipped the bikes back to SA.

You would think that a SA-registered vehicle with SA-plates would be allowed back to SA on a container. Nope. We were charged thousands of dollars of duty to import the bikes back in, and it became a FOUR-YEAR BATTLE with the SA government to get our money back because we didn't export the bikes out.

Thankfully we had extensive documentation which showed every single one of our border crossings to document that these were in fact SA-originated and registered bikes. Despite the VIN and license plate ALREADY BEING IN THEIR SYSTEM.

Still fuming...

sometimes I find great deals on UK bikes that arent sold in canada...one day

You've got me very curious now.

What kind of bike is it that it would be worth buying from another province, paying to transport it to Ontario, paying to crate and ship it across the ocean to Europe and then paying the import taxes on the other side? Rather than just buying the same bike in Europe?

I am assuming it's a model that isn't sold over there, and not your run-of-the-mill SV650?

A few reasons. I do not have time to look for a bike in Europe when I go to a vacation. My time is very limited so when I go to Europe I want to have a bike to ride right away. Another one is that I have shipping free because my friend rented a big container for his things so he doesn't mind if I throw in a bike.
The bike itself can be found anywhere but in my home country 99% are beaten up and high km. PPl in Canada have , mostly, a bigger budget to service and invest in motorcycles so I am confident I am not buying some garbage :). There might be a chance to avoid taxes back home as well but I am awaiting for that.

This is a vacation?

Are you staying in Europe or coming back to Canada? Is the bike coming back with you?

If you and the bike are coming back, do you realize that you can ride your personal vehicle over there with Ontario plates without having to register or import anything? Me and many, many North Americans have done exactly this without the immense hassle and hoops that you are currently jumping through.

Also, European import taxes will far dwarf the 12% of the declared value that you pay in Ontario. Most likely by an order of magnitidue, depending on the country you are importing to.

Just to give you an idea of the duty you will be facing. I tried selling my motorcycle in Croatia for 2000 Euros. This was an absolute steal for any local but at least I didn't have to ship my bike back to Canada. However, when the locals did the research, the import tax was 5000 Euros. Cheaper just to buy the same bike in Croatia.

Import tax and tariffs are structurerld exactly like this to avoid foreign products from competing with local products. This, even though my bike was made in Germany, it was manufactured destined for the North American market.

Last edited:
Why not save yourself the aggravation and buy a bike from the country you're relocating to? All these hoops don't seem worth it.

Make sure you insure this bike as well. As while you're concentrating on bucking the system, disaster can strike.

Also, as written here, you can have the seller write a receipt for $1000 or even less if you want. Since you aren't planning on riding it here, your insurance company will never be interested in what you paid for it...unless it gets stolen in transit to the country your exporting it to. Which leads me back to my original question.

Sent from my ZTE A2020U Pro using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom