Booking a Gearing Up or M2X Course? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Booking a Gearing Up or M2X Course?

Baggsy

Site Supporter
Now is a good time. The April-June courses are starting to book up.

Thanks for the reminder. My wife is in summer 4 of her M2 and it expires next May, so she really needs to get in and do her M2x this summer.

FYI for former Humber or Conestoga students, I had done my m1x with Humber and was looking at RTIs site, they offer loyalty discounts if you show your certificate from either of those courses.

Do I have to pass the 18 month period with my M2 before doing the M2X? or is it like the M1X, where you can do it before the required time and just pick it up later on.

I did my M1X in June 2019, so 18 months puts me at early winter for an M, meaning I have to wait until next year if I can't just do the test earlier... :(

I'm speaking about RTI by the way.

Do I have to pass the 18 month period with my M2 before doing the M2X? or is it like the M1X, where you can do it before the required time and just pick it up later on.

I did my M1X in June 2019, so 18 months puts me at early winter for an M, meaning I have to wait until next year if I can't just do the test earlier... :(

I'm speaking about RTI by the way.

Here's what the link below says. Don't forget, that this encompasses a road test, and the wording says that one "gets to take the second road test after just 18 months". You could always call up RTI and ask. I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless you really want to drink and drive. Just make sure you get it done in the third or fourth year. Too many people wait until the last month or two and find out that they're not prepared.

After passing the M1 road test, drivers may receive an M2 licence. This Ontario Motorcycle License allows them the ability to drive at night and on any road. Rules for alcohol and helmets are the same as those for M1 level. After 22 months, M2 drivers have the ability to take the second road test. Upon passing this test, the driver receives a full M Ontario motorcycle license. If the driver opts for the Motorcycle Safety Course, he or she gets to take the second road test after just 18 months. These drivers are also eligible to forgo the M1 road test and move straight to their M2 licence, and the licence still expires after 60 months with this method.

Ontario Motorcycle License - How To Get It? | DrivingTest

On RTI's eligibility for the M2X course it lists needing to have an M2 for 18+ months. Though they also say in their FAQ that the certificate/proof of completion they send to DriveTest (MTO) is valid for 6 months from completion so I think technically you could do it ahead of the 18 month minimum if you have over a year with your M2.

Probably one of those cases where you would need to call them to make the arrangement.

If you are just planning on doing it through DriveTest you do need to wait a full 18 months. I'd also advise doing everything you can to never have to deal with their nightmare test centers.

On RTI's eligibility for the M2X course it lists needing to have an M2 for 18+ months. Though they also say in their FAQ that the certificate/proof of completion they send to DriveTest (MTO) is valid for 6 months from completion so I think technically you could do it ahead of the 18 month minimum if you have over a year with your M2.

Probably one of those cases where you would need to call them to make the arrangement.

If you are just planning on doing it through DriveTest you do need to wait a full 18 months. I'd also advise doing everything you can to never have to deal with their nightmare test centers.

Definitely will not do it at a DriveTest center. F that.

Will get in touch with RTI and see if they can let me do the M2X after 12 months. Would be nice to get it sooner. At my age it might help my insurance rate substantially (or I can hope...)

this thread reminded me that I need to get mine booked in. For anyone going through Drivetest - May 1st is when they start taking bookings and the locations anywhere near the GTA book up extremely fast apparently.

Definitely will not do it at a DriveTest center. F that.

Will get in touch with RTI and see if they can let me do the M2X after 12 months. Would be nice to get it sooner. At my age it might help my insurance rate substantially (or I can hope...)
The 18 months has nothing to do with RTI or any other m1x course.

It is the minimum amount of time you have to hold a valid m2 before upgrading.

The "valid for 6 months" means your upgrade eligibility to process your upgrade from m1 to m2 is in the mto computer system for 6 months. If you did your course, and didn't go to a drive test center to process the upgrade for 6 months + a day, you're screwed...

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

The 18 months has nothing to do with RTI or any other m1x course.

It is the minimum amount of time you have to hold a valid m2 before upgrading.
Matt, wasn't it always that a new rider had to wait 18 months to upgrade their license if they took a course otherwise they had to wait 22 months without taking a course?

I agree with what you are saying about the 6 months thing - that has been the case for a while. No such thing as upgrading in 12 months.

Matt, wasn't it always that a new rider had to wait 18 months to upgrade their license if they took a course otherwise they had to wait 22 months without taking a course?

I agree with what you are saying about the 6 months thing - that has been the case for a while. No such thing as upgrading in 12 months.
Yeah. With no m1x course, its a two year wait minimum on an m2 to do your M road test. The 18 month thing only really matters if you time it right. Say you do your m1x in October, then you are eligible in a year and a half and can do the m2x in 18 months which takes you into April.

Shane, you used to teach. Its all the same as it was then.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Learning Curves
Good luck.
Hope there isn't too much snow and ice when you do your practical test.
Don't forget the lip balm and a comfy pair of boots, you're going to be standing and walking around a lot.

When I taught with RTI, best thing I ever bought was one of these for picking up the cones. Saved my back!

fc987b57bdae1d82a067f6fd142a0af1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I taught with RTI, best thing I ever bought was one of these for picking up the cones. Saved my back!

Cool idea.

Good hiking boots, I remember my first weekend my feet were killing me.

Oh that's for picking up cones! I thought it was a cattle prod :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom