BMW K75. Worth it? | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

BMW K75. Worth it?

The final drives BMW used back then were very simple and sturdy units. Take it apart and see if you can fix it yourself. YouTube is your friend for tutorials.
Simple, yes. Sturdy... why so many overhaul videos?

Shaft splines and bearings are simple but expensive. Shafts are not easy to repair, you have to cut off the receiver, weld on a new one then have the shaft balanced. $500 for a new one.

Bearings and pinion are another few hundred, or a replacement for $1000.

That’s if the problem is in the lucky end. If the clutch spline end is torn up, double to triple the overhaul cost.

K bikes have poorly designed final drives at best. The final drive and driveshaft should be removed, cleaned, inspected and repackaged at every tire change. Used parts might be a cheap fix, but likely a short term one.

Simple, yes. Sturdy... why so many overhaul videos?

Shaft splines and bearings are simple but expensive. Shafts are not easy to repair, you have to cut off the receiver, weld on a new one then have the shaft balanced. $500 for a new one.

Bearings and pinion are another few hundred, or a replacement for $1000.

That’s if the problem is in the lucky end. If the clutch spline end is torn up, double to triple the overhaul cost.

K bikes have poorly designed final drives at best. The final drive and driveshaft should be removed, cleaned, inspected and repackaged at every tire change. Used parts might be a cheap fix, but likely a short term one.
All true. Most owners neglect the splines. I had 140k on my airhead when i sold it. Lubed the splines every year.

All true. Most owners neglect the splines. I had 140k on my airhead when i sold it. Lubed the splines every year.
I didn't know this was a thing until I had to replace the rear end of my Wing.

Back
Top Bottom