BMW and Honda Restoration | GTAMotorcycle.com

BMW and Honda Restoration

You got a Muth-designed BMW? Nice. Not sure about collectible status, might make a nice restoration with the dual brembos it came with. Pretty sure the R65 doesn't share a whole lot with it's bigger brothers.

No idea about the CB350, I had a 360T and it was mediocre at best as a ride. You might also look at cafe-ing it.

Last edited:
you may be right on the 350. Check ebay and kijiji to see values for restored units. What year is the R65? Can't see in the pics if it's dual front disc.

I remember looking at one years ago, an '81 I think. Got scared off because I didn't have much mechanical knowledge, and no idea how to work on Bing carbs. All pre-internet of course. Wouldn't bother me now though.

Th BMW would be nice all stock .Just needs a good clean up .

just brought the girls home, stored for now, need room first, but not sure if I want to even do anything, other than clean up and get them out of here......not sure if I want a winter project this year,,,,yes I am getting lazy, plus I have the basement to finish off this winter, and when the wife says that is priority, well sometimes I have to listen....

so a few pics of the bikes

Definitely worth more kept stock. Get them running, clean them up, sell them on. Unless you have the room to keep them. The Honda is a classic model from the classic era, that particular BMW, not so much.

Last edited:
What is with the ill-fitting tank cover? Wow, that looks bad. Is the tank in decent condition underneath?

What is with the ill-fitting tank cover? Wow, that looks bad. Is the tank in decent condition underneath?

Yes it's just badly put on, I pulled it back a bit, and the tank looks really good, over all the bike seems to be in great shape, a bit of cleaning and she should look a whole lot better....got to pull out the power washer the next time we have a nice day like today...

Heck the tires were flat, got out my pump and they pumped right up, not sure if they will hold air for the long run, but it was a good sign to start with.....LOL

and yes they will need replacing, I think they are as old as the bike is...

Is that really only 5500KM on the BMW?

Id go at the Honda and give it a nice cleanup and move it along, let the next guy that wants to chop it up and café it have fun. Honda built about 3 million so its not rare, but it may have a better market not "cafe'd" . The BMW is not one of the prettier ones so I would get too much invested in it, it will be a select market for that one. If the Bing carbs need service, you'll want a bottle of ground unicorn horn, some pixie sticks and maybe a Polynesian witchdoctor.

I believe it's Miles ?

Even still, engine isn't even broken in.

I read an article in one of my Canadian Motorcycle mags on Bing carb restoration, I'll see if I can find it. If not, there has to be someone out there that does it. Wolf BMW does restos IIRC.

Even still, engine isn't even broken in.

I read an article in one of my Canadian Motorcycle mags on Bing carb restoration, I'll see if I can find it. If not, there has to be someone out there that does it. Wolf BMW does restos IIRC.

Thanks

Let me know if you come across anything

I found a couple of good videos

[video=youtube;Q__LkgoaGGk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q__LkgoaGGk[/video]

Last edited:
There is an old school BMW mechanic who only works on airheads. His shop and living quarters are located in an old school building. He's a treasure of the area BMW airhead community and he's indicated that he's considering retiring his one man business. Al Blanchard (not certain of spelling) north of Port Hope, near Elizabethville.

Back
Top Bottom