Blue Ridge Parkway June 25-28. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Blue Ridge Parkway June 25-28.

Gary64

Site Supporter
A couple of 40 something guys are heading out of Oakville on a sport touring trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway June 25-28. So far it's me on my Bandit 1250 and Dannyj88 on his FZ1.

Things you need to know about this ride….
1. You should be a sport/touring rider with good riding experience
2. The trip schedule is aggressive in nature (up to ten hours of riding on some days)
3. You should be interested in riding secondary roads not “straight-line” Interstate highways
4. Must have reliable motorcycle
5. Must have valid passport
6. Individuals are responsible for their own accommodations

Day 1
http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?clien...d=200376690763924239491.0004821fbb4c6d9c863b0

Day 2
http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?clien...d=200376690763924239491.0004822005c0fb454d872

Day 3
http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?clien...d=200376690763924239491.00048228c683d8da5aa1b

Day 4
Route will depend on how quickly we have to get home.

I realize that this is pretty short notice and we're less that 2 weeks away from departing but if any like minded riders are interested you're welcome to join us. Here's a little taste of what we'll be experiencing.

2687110_20.jpeg

Have you been before? You might want to get to Front Royal VA on Day One. It's perfectly do-able. Gives you much more time on Skyline Drive and BRP the next day. The Mexican restaurant, Jalisco(?) is terrific.

This is roughly the same route I am planning to do on the July 1st long weekend for 3 days. Instead of taking 80, you should take 144 all the way to 150, that section has a few nice turns as well. Also you may want to try Kettle Creek road as a detour from 144.

You have to check out 50 and 250 while you are down there. They are not as intense as Tail of the Dragon, but some turns are very similar to the Dragon. If you can go on the following weekend instead June 25, we may able to team up.

A couple of 40 something guys are heading out of Oakville on a sport touring trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway June 25-28. So far it's me on my Bandit 1250 and Dannyj88 on his FZ1.

Things you need to know about this ride….
1. You should be a sport/touring rider with good riding experience
2. The trip schedule is aggressive in nature (up to ten hours of riding on some days)
3. You should be interested in riding secondary roads not “straight-line” Interstate highways
4. Must have reliable motorcycle
5. Must have valid passport
6. Individuals are responsible for their own accommodations

Day 1
http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?clien...d=200376690763924239491.0004821fbb4c6d9c863b0

Day 2
http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?clien...d=200376690763924239491.0004822005c0fb454d872

Day 3
http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?clien...d=200376690763924239491.00048228c683d8da5aa1b

Day 4
Route will depend on how quickly we have to get home.

I realize that this is pretty short notice and we're less that 2 weeks away from departing but if any like minded riders are interested you're welcome to join us. Here's a little taste of what we'll be experiencing.

2687110_20.jpeg

Have you been before? You might want to get to Front Royal VA on Day One. It's perfectly do-able. Gives you much more time on Skyline Drive and BRP the next day. The Mexican restaurant, Jalisco(?) is terrific.

Dannyj88 has done the trip a few times before but I'm a rookie.

Thanks for the suggestion. The schedule isn't cast in stone so the exact routes and locations of overnight stays are flexible. We're just going to wing it for accommodations in the interest of flexibility.

This is roughly the same route I am planning to do on the July 1st long weekend for 3 days. Instead of taking 80, you should take 144 all the way to 150, that section has a few nice turns as well. Also you may want to try Kettle Creek road as a detour from 144.

You have to check out 50 and 250 while you are down there. They are not as intense as Tail of the Dragon, but some turns are very similar to the Dragon. If you can go on the following weekend instead June 25, we may able to team up.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Unfortunately due to other commitments (work, family, etc) we can't do it the following week. Are you sure you want to battle the Canada Day/4th of July long weekend traffic? Would your schedule be flexible enough to bump your trip up a week and join us?

I would be OK, but another rider can't take time off so I have to make it for the July long weekend. I know the boarder issues hence we are considering leaving on Thursday evening and stay at Olen. Coming back is another issue, but not much choice (been there and done that, everyone was in a **** mood after seeing the lineup extended into the hwy!!)

I stayed at Cumberland for two nights the last time I went down. That's around October and the daylight hours were kind the short, so I figure 3 days in June this time would give a bit more riding time.

I have a NEXUS card because I travel in the US for business. I used it a couple of weeks ago on a day ride down to Allegany State Park going both southbound and northbound at Peace Bridge. No line ups at all and didn't even have to take my helmet off at the border. Highly recommended especially for those long weekend trips.

Because of the time of year I think the riders old riders are going to run out long before the daylight does. Anyway, enjoy your trip and maybe we can do it another time.

I did a similar 4 day trip a couple of weeks ago for the first time solo. I rode all the way to Front Royal Virgina on the first day and it took me over 13 hours. The second day I rode the BRP to Roanake Va. and continued on to Marlinton WV (11 hours). My third day I up 219 north to Des Bois PA (450 Km and 9 hrs). The final day I rode from PA to TO (7 hrs).

Not booking hotels during the week is fine but on the weekend its a risky gamble.

Good Luck

I'm coming home to Toronto from a week long business trip to the west coast the evening before we depart. I'm thinking I'll be a bit jet lagged so getting all the way to Front Royal might be pushing it. We want to enjoy ourselves so, while it might be do-able, under the circumstances we'll probably not push it to long on day 1.

Edit: Carmen, I did read and enjoy your ride report.

Last edited:
Been a long time since I've ridden it and definitely on the to do list but Skyline and BRP are pretty slow travelling even if riding aggressively so allow for that.
3 days is too short in my view but if buddy has done it then maybe he is choosing sections.
500 miles on those twisties is a very long day indeed.
Still it's the right time of year.

don't know about cop presence but I recall speed limits are very low and you are encountering the Sunday driver on the 26th - just during fun time in the twisties. :confused1:

Blue Ridge Parkway - Scenic Highlander Driving Tour

The Blue Ridge Parkway's 469-mile length is the granddaddy of all parkways, byways and scenic ... Blue Ridge Parkway, Western North Carolina Scenic Drive ...

In 3 days? Are you going to sleep while riding?

That's just a suggestion.:D

They take the speed limits on Skyline and BRP rather seriously, I understand. Huge fines can be earned.

They take the speed limits on Skyline and BRP rather seriously, I understand. Huge fines can be earned.

Made it through Skyline Drive and The Blue Ridge as far as Buena Vista without having to make any contributions to the Virginia State coffers :cool:. Skyline's road surface is fantastic but there was quite a bit more traffic (although not a lot) than Blue Ridge. A fellow rider we met at a rest stop on Slyline suggested we try Route 56 - Tye River Turnpike off Blue Ridge parkway which were glad we did. He called it "the snake" and it was much slower and more technical. It was well worth the 25 minutes to run it both directions.

DSC02989.jpg

Back
Top Bottom