bike vibration | GTAMotorcycle.com

bike vibration

pm127

I've noticed this year that highway rides are giving me lasting tingling in the hands and forearms and sometimes even the feet. Riding home from work on the 407 (~ 50km) will do it. I've been riding my Street Triple since last fall and do not think the problem was always there.

The faster I go the worse it gets and it seems to be related to engine rpm. It starts around 7000rpm, clutch in or out.

I low-sided at about 15kph this spring and replaced the parts myself including a cracked engine cover. I had frame sliders on at the time.

Is it possible that something changed after the drop? Where should I take it to have it looked at and what might be the possible source of the vibrations?

What kind of shape is your front tire in? I had one get badly cupped, the vibrations were brutal.

yup, mine did the same thing.

Also the bar end weights will cause vibration if oe fell off or they are not the same weight i.e. replaced with another brand.

Possible the weights to balance the tire came off

Steering ball bearings may need to be replaced.

Tires are usually the cuplret.

The front tire looks to be in good shape, the bike has about 5000km on it. The rear tire is starting to get a little flat in the middle. I guess all our roads around here are too straight and commuting to work doesn't do much to get rid of chicken strips.

I replaced the right bar end for cosmetic reasons after the drop, but I did so with factory parts. I was a little shocked at how much that metal disc was worth!

I haven't tried warming her up and then revving the engine while stationary. My thought is that if it was the tires then I shouldn't feel the vibes. I work near Kahuna and was debating letting them look it over, but I'm not convinced of their ability to determine if there is an issue or not.

Any more ideas would be very appreciated.

Get sport touring tires....

I played around with this issue a little more. The vibration is bad between 6000 rpm and 9000rpm, with a spike around 8000rpm. Gear and speed don't matter. On the highway if I pull in the clutch and let off the gas everything goes nice and smooth.

I'm going to let Kahuna take a look at it. Hopefully I don't end up in the review section to rant afterwards.

When you replaced parts, were any engine mount bolts affected? Check behind the frame sliders in case they were pushed in and altered the proper mounting area. Are the bars rubber mounted on that bike? If you had them off and maybe re-torqued down too tight? Since pegs buzz too, probably not. Unless they too were affected by the spill. Sometimes there are subtle OEM attempts to curb vibes, that a spill can affect and not be noticed right away visually.

Lube your chain well and make sure it is not too tight.

Consider a carb throttle body sync too.

I think its pretty common! I commute 120km daily on the highway and my hand goes numb at least once, usually twice though. Normal buzzin!

I have ALWAYS run stock KAWI grips, I switched over to GEL grips and WHAT a difference. It doesnt vibrator my hands as much anymore...

I had the bike checked at both Kahuna and GP and was told that the vibration was not out of the ordinary. The tires were ruled out if nothing else. Since I didn't want to live with it, I changed the bars, put on heavier bar ends, changed to gel grips and picked up new gloves.

The results have made me happy. I can go about 150 km on the highway now before I notice lasting vibration whereas before all it took less than 50km.

Back
Top Bottom