Bike options for 5f 90lb rider | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike options for 5f 90lb rider

Assuming you are an M1 or M2, and haven't ridden more than 24 hours or so, try to be as conservative as you can.
Grab a low displacement cruiser, it's more comfortable and beginner friendly, freeing up concentration for navigation traffic and making improvements. You'll be better after 3 months on that than you will be after 3 months on a sport bike.

A sport bike is harder to ride than a cruiser, and could ruin your love of bikes or even hurt you. You don't always get a chance to learn from your mistakes here. Don't bother buying your dream bike now.

"This is your FIRST bike, not your LAST bike."

Anh, this is Canada, don't buy a motorcycle that still uses a carburetor. Trust me you do not want or need that headache.
You can't take a carb away from an S40 -- the shutoff bang is part of the bike's signature.

Anh, this is Canada, don't buy a motorcycle that still uses a carburetor. Trust me you do not want or need that headache.
What's the matter with carbs? I love carbs on toy vehicles. It gives you the opportunity to play and see if you can make them better. I guess having a powercommander or similar gives you similar ability for injection, but I've never had an injected vehicle that was easy to remap. If you don't want to play with carbs, avoid ethanol, drain carbs to store and I've never had issues.

Besides being pain it the butt obsolete technology that operates on the same principal as a toilet tank hooked up to a fly sprayer?

OP, just get a PGM-Fi bike and be done with it, it will run as true and reliable as a diesel engine that never misses a single beat.

Most of the good choices have been mentioned already, and I would agree that the S40 is probably the best bet for a smaller new rider to learn on and build confidence. That Ryca cafe kit is beautiful, too.

I was searching for other options and came across the suzuki vanvan 200...30.3 inch seat height, a bit taller but only 280ish lbs and fuel injected. Cool little retro bike and it seems to get good reviews, the very light weight would be a definite plus when learning.

I’ll go against the grain and say pick up a 250/300cc sport bike. Something like a CBR 250 or even the CBR125 if you want an even lighter bike.

While you will save 3” of seat height going to a cruiser 250 you are also in a completely different riding position. Your legs will be much more inline with the rest of your body on a sport bike making it easier to find a stable position when you are coming to stop. If you have spent a decent amount of time on a bicycle it will feel much more natural.

Best bet is to go sit on some bikes and decide what feels best. Cruisers all feel like big wheels to me.

I’ll go against the grain and say pick up a 250/300cc sport bike. Something like a CBR 250 or even the CBR125 if you want an even lighter bike.

While you will save 3” of seat height going to a cruiser 250 you are also in a completely different riding position. Your legs will be much more inline with the rest of your body on a sport bike making it easier to find a stable position when you are coming to stop. If you have spent a decent amount of time on a bicycle it will feel much more natural.

Best bet is to go sit on some bikes and decide what feels best. Cruisers all feel like big wheels to me.
The leg position differences take no time to get used to, at least on the beginner cruisers. Finding the ground when you stop isn't all that relevant if you can touch the ground!

You can't beat a cruiser for stability, forgiving torque/gearing, and low seat height -- all valuable features for a new rider. You do lose performance, but that might be a good thing for a beginner.

Reactions: Anh
If you go for a CBR125 it will not be new because I'm pretty sure they stopped importing them into Canada,
don't buy a used CBR125 older then the 2011 model, there were significant model upgrades starting then.

You can't take a carb away from an S40 -- the shutoff bang is part of the bike's signature.

I loved that about mine. Reminded me of Uncle Buck.

At 280lbs and 30” seat height, the Suzuki Van Van 200 looks like a good choice. Here’s a good review:

VanVan is in a unique category called 'farm bike', same category as Yamaha's TW200. Personally I'd go with the Yamaha, it's tougher, faster, more versatile and more dependable. You can also lower them safely to about 28' without interrupting handling and changing the kickstand. TW200's also hold value better.
1571839458962.png1571839481570.png

Give yourself an inch or more advantage with Milwaukee trooper boots.

1571891910867.jpeg

Set the two zippers and laces once and then super easy on and off ( undo the inside zipper ) and a very solid fit.

I'd suggest this - light enough, excellent seating position.

072914-2009-suzuki-tu250x-f.jpg

Suzuki TU250X - 30.5", 325 lbs (more of a standard than a sportbike style)

Suzuki TU250X – The ideal bike for entry-level riders that don’t want to sacrifice style for utility and safety. The TU250X has a slightly higher upright seat but the narrow profile helps shorter riders reach the ground. The retro-cruiser design blends classic features with modern performance capabilities. First launched by Suzuki in 1994, the 2015 TU250X features a 249cc air-cooled Single-cylinder engine outfitted with Suzuki’s Dual Throttle Valve fuel-injection and digital ignition. A stellar bike for any woman looking to start her love affair with motorcycles.

more ideas here

Personally, I would never recommend laced boots unless you are going to wrap them in duct tape. Would not be the first to break an ankle because of a caught lace, combat boots are not tall enough to keep the lace loops out of the danger zone and they offer almost zero shin protection.

Reactions: Anh

Back
Top Bottom