Bike options for 5f 90lb rider | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike options for 5f 90lb rider

Anh

Hi all, I'm a new rider, can anyone please recommend which bike is the best option for short riders? For your reference, Im only 5f (on good days) and 90lb. Thank you so much in advanced.

Get good at riding and you will be able to ride Any of them.

... and you will have no problem getting all the performance possible out of them because that bike is hardly going to know you are on there (y)

Get good at riding and you will be able to ride Any of them.

... and you will have no problem getting all the performance possible out of them because that bike is hardly going to know you are on there (y)
To be honest, "get good" probably isn't the most helpful advice to give a new rider, or anyone for that matter, for anything, ever.
I understand the sentiment as an end goal, but I would also agree with the above a Virago 250 or Rebel 250 would be a good area to start to build confidence after a rider safety course of some kind.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Anh
add: I would recommend a much lighter starter bike then 320 pounds.

... go sit on a Honda Grom and see if it fits <- you will learn twice as fast on it.

Last edited:
Harley makes a Ultra low, or how about Honda Grom? But you don't mention what bike you are interested in??

To be honest, "get good" probably isn't the most helpful advice to give a new rider, or anyone for that matter, for anything, ever. ...
I told rider what they truly need to know in the most simple terms possible.
I didn't stay alive riding them for 54 years by getting bad at it, and I was smaller then 5'x90lbs. when I started so it comes from dimensional experience.

:LOL: remember when you were 90 pounds a riding motorcycles? I do.

You guys planning to teach them the duck paddle? :LOL:

? thank you all so much, I did try Honda rebel and Yamaha V star, but I’m more interested in sport bikes rather than cruiser. And yes, in order to get good, I gotta start...somewhere to build the confidence for bigger bikes

Unfortunately for you, the way sportbikes are designed, you are perched on top of the bike, not in it like a cruiser. I'm not aware of any sportbike seat lower than 30". Even the lightest Honda CBR125R has a >30" seat.

It's not impossible for short riders to ride tall bikes, but how you eventually get there depends on so many things: balance, mechanical co-ordination, confidence, etc.

I should know. My inseam is 29" and I typically ride heavy-weight motorcycles with >36" seat heights.

If your confidence, balance, and/or mechanical co-ordination is lacking, then you're better off starting with a lower, lighter motorcycle and gradually work your way up. Your first bike isn't your last one. Better to develop the skills right off the bat on a cheap and used beginner beater bike, instead of being tentative on your dream motorcycle because you're afraid of dropping it.

I don't really know your skill level. Maybe you're good enough to start off on a sportbike with one tippy-toe touching the ground. My very good friend is around your height, she started out on a Ninja 250 perfectly fine, but she was a natural at motorcycles. Another friend of mine also started on a Ninja 250. She wasn't particularly short - around 5'5", but she dropped that bike everytime she took it out. Eventually gave up on motorcycling, even though we tried to convince her to try a shorter, lighter cruiser just to gain some confidence first.

Unfortunately for you, the way sportbikes are designed, you are perched on top of the bike, not in it like a cruiser. I'm not aware of any sportbike seat lower than 30". Even the lightest Honda CBR125R has a >30" seat.

It's not impossible for short riders to ride tall bikes, but how you eventually get there depends on so many things: balance, mechanical co-ordination, confidence, etc.

I should know. My inseam is 29" and I typically ride heavy-weight motorcycles with >36" seat heights.

If your confidence, balance, and/or mechanical co-ordination is lacking, then you're better off starting with a lower, lighter motorcycle and gradually work your way up. Your first bike isn't your last one. Better to develop the skills right off the bat on a cheap and used beginner beater bike, instead of being tentative on your dream motorcycle because you're afraid of dropping it.

I don't really know your skill level. Maybe you're good enough to start off on a sportbike with one tippy-toe touching the ground. My very good friend is around your height, she started out on a Ninja 250 perfectly fine, but she was a natural at motorcycles. Another friend of mine also started on a Ninja 250. She wasn't particularly short - around 5'5", but she dropped that bike everytime she took it out. Eventually gave up on motorcycling, even though we tried to convince her to try a shorter, lighter cruiser just to gain some confidence first.
It’s very informative, thank you so much. I has just started riding motorcycle, and this will be my very first bike. In addition to lower seat height, which bikes do you recommend in regards to engine, clutch (wet/dry)... for new riders?

It’s very informative, thank you so much. I has just started riding motorcycle, and this will be my very first bike. In addition to lower seat height, which bikes do you recommend in regards to engine, clutch (wet/dry)... for new riders?

It really depends on your skill level and comfort. Have you taken a motorcycle course yet? The ones that are held in a parking lot where you ride their motorcycles for the weekend? If not, give that a try, then you'll probably be able to determine if you can handle a bigger, taller bike, or whether you need to get your feet wet on a lighter, shorter one.

Engine size has more to do with your throttle/clutch control than your height. Typically most beginners start off with a 250cc sportbike, or a 500-650cc cruiser. If you're more tentative, then a 125cc sportbike or 250cc cruiser may be a better choice.

Dry clutches are becoming exceedingly rare, I don't know of any beginner bikes that have a dry clutch, they're all wet these days.

Here are some seat height and curb weights of various beginner bikes:

<30"

Kawasaki Eliminator 125 - 27", 300 lbs (these are really old bikes, but you can find them used)
Yamaha V-Star/Virago 250 - 27", 326 lbs
Honda Rebel 300 - 27", 365 lbs
Suzuki Boulevard S40 - 27.5", 380 lbs
Harley Davidson Sportster 883 Super-Low - 28", 565 lbs (a bit on the heavy side)

>30"

Honda Grom 125 - 30", 225 lbs (tiny wheels!)
Honda CBR125R - 30.5", 300 lbs
Suzuki TU250X - 30.5", 325 lbs (more of a standard than a sportbike style)
Kawasaki Ninja 250R/300R - 31", 375 lbs
Yamaha R3 - 31", 370 lbs
Suzuki GSX250R - 31", 390 lbs
Hyosung GT250R - 31", 415 lbs (bit heavy compared to the Japanese 250s)

I am sure others will chime in on other beginner bikes, hopefully with seat heights and wet weights listed so you can get a good comparison.

Grom would be a fine choice, we have a great local community too. (Lots of short but awesome female riders.)

... can you ride a bicycle? What's the saddle height?

:LOL: Montesa 4RT - 24 inch saddle height with no rider on board, will settle several more inches with a 90 pound rider on board, 160 pounds wet, full size wheels. (Not street legal in Canada, same as with a mini-bike) If the Grom was any lower it would be a mini bike.

Wet weight of the bike is the Most important spec to shop for on a learner bike Or a competition bike. Seat height makes little difference and you never really need to plant both at the same time unless a passenger is standing on one pillion peg to get on or off, it's the controls you need to reach and they are on the pegs and bars, not on the ground.

I'm beting at 5' your inseam will be 25.5-27" so a sport, Adv or standard bike will have you on 1 tippy-toe when stopped, a light cruiser will feel most comfortable and be the easiest to learn and ride. Star 250, Rebel 300 are easy choices for beginners. Another often overlooked beginner cruiser is the Suzuki S40. It's a relatively small bike, about 60lbs heavier than the Rebel and Star but the upside is it cruises at 100KMH at around 3500RPM and can push a relatively large windscreen at highway speeds, a little safer and more comfortable if you plan day rides. Rebels and Vstars top out at about 120KMh without a screen, and about 110 with a large screen.

My wife is a little bigger than you, 5'2" & 110lbs. She started on a Ninja 250 then switched immediately to the S40 after a test ride.

Anh, this is Canada, don't buy a motorcycle that still uses a carburetor. Trust me you do not want or need that headache.

Back
Top Bottom