Bike makes clicking noise when starting and doesn't start (battery problem?) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike makes clicking noise when starting and doesn't start (battery problem?)

llaen

Site Supporter
Just left work and tried to start the bike with no success.

The bike lights and instrument panel do light up when I turn the ignition on, so the battery is not completely dead.

When I press the starter button I hear the starter turn a bit but mostly I hear a fairly loud clicking sound. The clicking is coming from somewhere near the battery.

Is this most likely a weak battery issue? What's the best course of action?

I can't leave the bike at its current location overnight. I'm not stoked about trying to bump start it - not a lot of space there.

Your battery is dead, or close to it. What you hear clicking, is the starting circuit relay/solenoid. If someone has a set of booster cables, try that. If you're using a cars battery, make sure the cars engine is off. G.L.
Doug

Thanks, guys.

I'll leave it there with a note hoping that no one tows it.

All my coworkers are gone (so no boost) and roadside assistance is gonna cost as much as 2 batteries.

you should be able to bump start it if you still have power to your plugs. itll make you sweaty but if you have a hill you should be able to do it.

Thanks, guys.

I'll leave it there with a note hoping that no one tows it.

All my coworkers are gone (so no boost) and roadside assistance is gonna cost as much as 2 batteries.

Dont leave it there, especially with a note saying that its a perfectly good bike!! get some jumpers, and or ask someone for help, it'll take 2-3 minutes and you can ride her home.

Bump start the bike. put it in 2nd gear, pull in the clutch, start running, jump on the seat, and when your land, pop the clutch and give it gas.

where is your work? maybe someone can help you out that is near by

Got it going!

I was about to start trying to bump start it when someone pulled up into our parking lot so I approached him. It could have been the desperate look in my eyes coupled with the enclosed, dark parking lot but he looked pretty intimidated!
Turned out he had booster cables though and once we hooked it up, the bike started like a charm. It sure felt good!

I've noticed sometimes that the rear light doesn't turn off when I shut the bike down. I don't remember checking it this morning so I wouldn't be surprised if that's what drained it.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions and offer to help! I couldn't bear the thought of just leaving it there.

if you have a battery tender or charger at home, it would be wise to hook it up to your battery. if you dont have a tender, its a perfect time to go buy one

you ride a suzuki? Zuks have an additional one more click to the left on the lock key that leaves the rear light on. I did the same thing first time not knowing. Luckily i didnt leave the bike on for long.

Other issue may be that your brake light circuit is constantly on. The brake lights are seperate from ignition so even with they key off most bikes will still light up the brake. So a badly adjusted microswitch on either the front or rear brake will do this.

you ride a suzuki? Zuks have an additional one more click to the left on the lock key that leaves the rear light on. I did the same thing first time not knowing. Luckily i didnt leave the bike on for long.

I bet it's exactly that!

I probably turn it all the way left only sometimes and then wonder why the light stays on...

There's a tiny bulb in the headlight that apparently turns on as well, but mine's burnt out so I only get the rear and further confuse myself.

Well, mystery solved. Thanks for that!

next time this happens, pull the fuse for the head light it might help, providing you dont hold the start button too long. check your battery water level, even when using a battery tender, and load test your battery and test the charging system, could be the terminals might be loose.

Other issue may be that your brake light circuit is constantly on. The brake lights are seperate from ignition so even with they key off most bikes will still light up the brake. So a badly adjusted microswitch on either the front or rear brake will do this.
Most bikes will not do that. Most bikes require the key to illuminate the brake light.

Back
Top Bottom