Bike cleaning | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike cleaning

Necro

Just picked up my first bike - picked up a used bike and want to get it cleaned up. From what I've read, this seems like a good time to throw in a chain clean&lube as well.

I've tried searching but couldn't find anything around places that could do this for me? It sounds like this is something most guys do on their own, so unsure where I should start?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. Just seems that maintenance isn't really a big topic in the new rider forum - unless I've missed it?

What bike are you riding?

There are a few things you can do yourself and save money:
- Oil and Oil filter change
- Chain tighten
- Chain clean and lube
- Pump your tires
- Check your fluids (brake and coolant)

Chain cleaning and lubing is pretty straight forward. If you have a rear stand, it'll make things go much faster, else you'll have to wheel the bike forward and back to access all of the chain. (Never do chain clean/lube with your bike on!)

Instead of me explaining, watch this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-5_JbLx2Bw

Skip to the end if you only want to see how to lube the chain.

What bike are you riding?

There are a few things you can do yourself and save money:
- Oil and Oil filter change
- Chain tighten
- Chain clean and lube
- Pump your tires
- Check your fluids (brake and coolant)

Chain cleaning and lubing is pretty straight forward. If you have a rear stand, it'll make things go much faster, else you'll have to wheel the bike forward and back to access all of the chain. (Never do chain clean/lube with your bike on!)

Instead of me explaining, watch this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-5_JbLx2Bw

Skip to the end if you only want to see how to lube the chain.

Center stand also works for chain lubing. Just be mindful that the bike is on it when you're turning the tire.

Center stand also works for chain lubing. Just be mindful that the bike is on it when you're turning the tire.

assuming its not an SS

Thanks for the responses! This is great info.

I got a Ninja 650r. There's no center stand, so I will have to get myself a rear stand to make my life a bit easier.

The reason I wanted to understand cleaning a bit more is because it seems like after cleaning the bike, I'd want to do all of the above while I'm at it. I was sort of hoping that someone would walk through it with me - for a fee of course. I think you are implying that this sort of stuff is too easy and therefore, not worth paying for it?

Would still be interested in any detailing places that could do bikes. Any recommended detailing places in Toronto? Holmes: just noticed your sig!

I got a Ninja 650r. There's no center stand, so I will have to get myself a rear stand to make my life a bit easier.

The reason I wanted to understand cleaning a bit more is because it seems like after cleaning the bike, I'd want to do all of the above while I'm at it. I was sort of hoping that someone would walk through it with me - for a fee of course. I think you are implying that this sort of stuff is too easy and therefore, not worth paying for it?

Would still be interested in any detailing places that could do bikes. Any recommended detailing places in Toronto? Holmes: just noticed your sig!
Detail it yourself, that way you get up close and personal and can spot potential problems, i.e leaks , oil deposits? etc.

Walk you through what? Cleaning the bike or the maintenance above? Let me know as I have a 650R myself. Just cleaned the chain and lubed her today. Waxed her and put Rain X on my windscreen.

Ninja 650R for a first bike, damm you got big kahoona's ...
650R ain't that crazy...

OP, do it on your own. That way you get up close to your bike and will notice any new things with it (leaks, damage etc).
After you wash it, at least lube the chain up to prevent rust. What I do is douse the chain in WD-40 right after I'm done washing the bike, let that evaporate off then lube the chain up. That's my lazy way of doing it. I do proper chain cleanings periodically (I don't have a set schedule, but I do it fairly often)

If you use a pressure washer, just be sure you aren't super close to paint, rubber or engine seals. Watch that you don't spray much fuel in the exhaust pipe.

Also, do NOT armour-all the tires, seat, etc.

Get a manual for the bike and learn how to do all the work your own (chain slack set up, oil changes etc.) and you'll save some money and also learn a thing or two. I'm proud that all the work on my bike is done by me.

You can wash the bike just like a car.. soapy water in a bucket, a garden hose, and cloths or a sponge. Just be mindful of where you are spraying high pressure water. You don't want to blast the gauges, controls, or engine too hard. This doesn't mean you can't spray them directly, just use a lighter setting than "Jet" on your garden hose.

When it comes to chain maintenance you will find a million different opinions on what to use to clean the chain and what type of spray to use to grease or wax it again. One thing I think most people agree on is don't use gasoline to clean the chain as it could dry out the o-rings and make the chain stiff. Kerosene is recommended for cleaning the chain in my bike's manual but some people use WD-40 or special chain degreasers. For lube, use some kind of chain lube that's safe for o-ring chains.

For other routine maintenance, you may find there is a website or forum specific to your bike where you could find more details. Another alternative is a Clymer or Haynes service manual.

Like others said, cleaning and doing your own maintenance will help you get to know the bike and spot potential problems. It can be fun too! I could spend hours in the garage.. if I had one.

Thanks for all of the replies. As has been said, after doing a quick wash last night, I have definitely found a few quirks with the bike already.

After cleaning and lubing the chain, realized a few things:
1. I should have bought a rear stand. Moving the bike over and over to get access to the entire chain is no fun.
2. I'm missing a bolt or two on my fairings.
3. I need to remove tar/grime from a LOT of the frame.
4. Other small things.

I guess I just needed to grow a pair and get to it. Otherwise, the 650 isn't so bad as a first bike. I guess it's like anything - if you don't respect it, it won't respect you either.

Cleaning is just cleaning just like a car so not really anything model specific to mention there but...

Check out www.riderforums.com, www.kawiforums.com, www.brp650forums.com for forums specific to your bike.

http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~shanetp/Index.html is an excellent FAQ site and includes a link to a PDF copy of the workshop manual for the 06-08 models but not much has changed besides the fairings and a few other minor parts on the newer models (if you have one).

www.ninja650shop.com is a great site to find accessories. Also, assuming you have an 09+ model there is a guy on eBay with the username AsianConnection71 that will give you a good deal on OEM parts if you need them. He also sells a few custom parts for the 09+ 650R as well (decent no cut frame sliders with a cross bar, lots of carbon covered parts, custom made rear sets, subframe sliders, fork sliders, etc).

This had to be said. There is a troubling story out there of some dude who tried to clean his chain with his bike running.

With some pretty graphic pictures as well. Suffice to say his fingers are not as long as they use to be.

unL33T: Thanks for all of the links! I was already aware of a few, but not all of those.

Any Canadian sites that carry the same sort of stuff as ninja650shop? There's a few specialized parts that I'd like, but can't seem to find it in Canada.

Well I know their SportBars are made in house as well as their no-cut sliders. Other than the 650-specific items you can usually find the stuff (like grips, sprockets, chains, etc) at various accessory stores. I usually just order my stuff from the US so I don't know many Canadian retailers.

http://www.bluestreakracing.ca/ seems to have a lot of stuff and though I've never bought from them, I've come close and they were always really good for answering all my email questions.

Also, AsianConnection71 on eBay can get most OEM parts for a lot less than Canadian prices. He goes by TonyBKK on kawiforums and TonyNinjaBKK on riderforums.

Last edited:
My bike already has the sportbars on them - the previous owner had installed them. They're great!

OK now that I have all of this information - I just need to prioritize. It's very tempting to just buy up everything. As for the forums, it's cool to see the manufacturer specific communities. Spent a lot of time on vwvortex.com, and now I've got about 4 new additions. Sweet.

You may want to go over to www.kapscomoto.com (they are based in Pickering) and grab a gorilla rear stand for dirt cheap (& good quality) and don't forget some sliders so you can use the stand...if you log in through ADVrider.com you can grab another discount.

...and you may want to grab some microfiber clothes and some lemon pledge to clean up your tupperwear (plastics)...works great...b.

Back
Top Bottom