Big adventure bike tires ? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Big adventure bike tires ?

Clutt-225

Ok boys and girls
I need tires and I can’t choose. 2015 KTM 1190 Adventure
The bike came with Continental Trail Attack 2 , they lasted 19,000km
I bought the bike with 12,000km so I have used the last 7000km of the tires life.
I’m novice off road but enjoying the gravel and rail trail that I’ve tried so far this year. Probably close to 200km off-road and 6800km on road.

I’m impressed with the trail attacks on road ability, rain ability, cold roads, and longevity.
Not impressed with any sand, loose gravel, any mud.

I’m hesitant to go with say TKC 80 because they wear so fast,
If they only last 7000km how long are they actually good off road?
I’m not buying tires twice a year that’s insane. IMO

Any experience shared is greatly appreciated

Shinko 705s give great bang for the buck, Conti has a new Trail Attack 3, and a buddy swears by Heidenau K60 Scout.

If you can find a radial tire that fits it go with that.

For a while I used to have a TKC80 on the front and a Tourance in the rear. Nice combo for a mix of paved and gravel road riding.

Heidenau K60s have a hard compound which gives it long-life, good on gravel, ok in sand, but slick as snot on wet pavement.
I run Mitas E-07s, not as long wearing but great overall tire for all terrains and it won't slide out from under you when it rains on the asphalt.

Any 90/10 tire will serve you well on gravel, it's just not as demanding a surface. It's the sand/mud performance that will determine what kind of 50/50 tire you'll need. If I was more hardcore in the gnarly stuff, I'd go TKC80s, but I wouldn't go ramping with those on...

Look into Motoz adventure ralls. Newer adv tire, great grip in wet or dry.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Yes I would describe it as floaty feeling or loose. Not planted
Maybe that’s just off road riding and I just need to adapt?
Radials <- they conform to road surface irregularities far better and that's why they work better.
Wider longer footprint on the ground because the sidewalls flex better, works on cars, works on bikes.

Yes I would describe it as floaty feeling or loose. Not planted
Maybe that’s just off road riding and I just need to adapt?
Big heavy adv bikes are clearly not the number one choice of ride off pavement. You can make a big change to how they feel with tires. I would start working through the list of tires people have suggested until you find ones that you likenon your bike. You get to try a set or two every year, so it will only take a few years and then you can let us know what you have discovered. :)

For the record, I very much dislike distanzias on gravel. It's a miserable feeling. They also take quite a while to heat up and get to full traction on asphalt.

I'm in the same boat. I have Anakee 3s on now (KTM1290, so very similar to your bike with similar use). I don't mind the Anakees but they are nasty over tar snakes when it's hot out, moreso than any other tire I've had on other bikes. They are reasonable off road but they don't have deep tread really so I keep it relatively tame but they have been over loose rocks etc with no issues. Someone above mentioned the Motos line of tires and those might be worth looking at. There's some called tractionaters I think that are more off road orientated. Look over on the ADVrider forums for more advice but whatever you choose get something designed for our weight of bikes. I had the same Continentals on as you previously and I didn't like them that much. I think I'm going to go with another 80:20 tire but I'm doing a bit more offroad recently (and loving it) so perhaps I'll revise that and sacrifice some asphalt performance. Just remember, there is no unicorn tire, there's always going to be a compromise so just decide where you want that to be.

Back
Top Bottom