Best time over the winter to find deals on bikes? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best time over the winter to find deals on bikes?

d4rktrooper788

Site Supporter
I'm looking to get a new or gently used (haven't decided) bike over the winter, when do most dealerships have good sales/try to liquidate old inventory?

imho, Dealerships have small profit margins and the best deals are actually coming from a distributor.
If your distributor is based in the US, not so good for us.

... from a dealership you are more likely to get a jacket ball cap or helmet thrown in.

now. If you wait much longer, they will just throw them in the back and wait for spring when the price is higher. Private sales are good now too from people that don't have inside storage and want to sell the bike before having to pay to keep it somewhere over the winter.

dealers don't like to blow out inventory at a loss
the deals on new - non-current come when the manus decide to help them
they are offered incentives to move old stock, but it's tied to orders for new

and the books make a difference on this too
new stock is floor planned - ie: manu puts it there interest free until it's sold
but the floor plan financing is not forever, eventually it becomes due
at this point the dealer has to write a cheque, or use 3rd party financing
most will go the bank route as having cash on the floor can be a killer

long way of saying that dealers will blow out old stock at a loss, sometimes....
bike must be accruing interest and be a model that has proven hard to sell

if it's still floor planned and they expect to move it spring
there will be no fire sale pricing

private sales are where you can grab an off season steal

I hear there is a heck of a good deal to be had on a brand new Montesa Cota 300 in Nova Scotia.

I heard 7 grand
:/ after I paid more then that for a used one

if you scroll through the general motorcycle disscussion - you will find a thread called "the reasonably priced motorcycle for sale" people are often posting deals w a link.
the thread has been ongoing for a year or so? good place to browse.

you should buy it, come out riding once in a while
then I can feel good about it.

Best time to get a deal on a bike is before the first snow. People will make deals to not have to prep and store a machine they no longer want over the long, cold winter.

imho, Dealerships have small profit margins and the best deals are actually coming from a distributor.
If your distributor is based in the US, not so good for us.

... from a dealership you are more likely to get a jacket ball cap or helmet thrown in.

Trials, this post is completely irrelevant and not the least bit helpful.

How can we, as consumers, purchase a new or used bike from a distributor? Answer: we cannot.

Carry on...

Trials, this post is completely irrelevant and not the least bit helpful.

How can we, as consumers, purchase a new or used bike from a distributor? Answer: we cannot.

Carry on...
Too easy:
Special Offer <- It's Honda Canada offering the deals not a dealership.

... & not a lot of models to choose from at the moment.

The dealership will make more money selling you extended warranty and financing than they will on the machine itself.
Walking in with cash in hand isn't likely to get you any better price.
This time of year (as has been mentioned) think used - private sale or dealer.

The fall is the best time to buy— right now. Dealers don’t want their inventory to have a birthday, particularly the pre-owned stuff. Private sellers don’t want storage or the million tire kickers found each spring.

It also give you all winter if the bike has any 'project' elements or needs to be farkled up before riding in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom