Best Stocks to day trade in this crash? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best Stocks to day trade in this crash?

I'm not sure daytrading for mere mortals right now is a clever game. Fun , but pretty risky. I think real daytraders are a special breed of person and LOTS of people have a go at it, often with less than great results. The market is just too Kooky for me right now.

I'm not sure daytrading for mere mortals right now is a clever game. Fun , but pretty risky. I think real daytraders are a special breed of person and LOTS of people have a go at it, often with less than great results. The market is just too Kooky for me right now.

If I was going to day trade I would use the same strategy as I use at horse races. Set aside gambling money and never exceed that amount. When it's gone I quit. If I win I can continue. If I win a lot I return my original stake to the do-not-touch wallet and keep playing with my winnings. If that happens I can't come home a loser (Money wise anyway)

So as the market does a Max 8 what do we do?

Assume a person (John Doe, not me) had a $1 million NYSE portfolio on February 20th. Today it's about $650,000, lost a third.

Hang in it'll come back the gurus say for a couple of reasons. One is they might be right and the other is to prevent a run which creates a self fulfilling prophecy. However at some point a person reaches a point of no return. At some point their equity can no longer sustain them.

What does John Doe do?

John Doe would be smart to dump the stocks, take advantage of the tax loss, then buy back the stocks he just dumped.
He’ll still get the advantage of the eventual upswing in the market, which, lets be realistic, the market will recover. He will also take advantage of having a massive loss on paper which will save him 10’s of thousands of dollars in taxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW my portfolio is only down about 6% from peak. That could change tomorrow or November 3rd. Individual holdings are like a dancing fountain.

John Doe would be smart to dump the stocks, take advantage of the tax loss, then buy back the stocks he just dumped.
He’ll still get the advantage of the eventual upswing in the market, which, lets be realistic, the market will recover. He will also take advantage of having a massive loss on paper which will save him 10’s of thousands of dollars in taxes.

Careful as that won't work INSIDE your RRSP. Yeah, outside your RRSP you can offset your capital losses against any gains (if any) but inside the RRSP nothing happens tax-wise until you withdraw at retirement.

Does that make sense? You bought for 100, sold for 70 triggering a loss to be applied against future capital gains and then re bought. When you eventually cash out for good at 200 you are now taxed on 130 instead of 100 if you hadnt triggered the loss. It can make sense if you are triggering a corresponding gain in the near term as that gets you tax deferral, but if you are just triggering losses, I dont see how it helps.

Wish one of you genuis had mentioned Shopify about three yrs ago. About to pass RBC .

Portable toilet rental companies slipping under the radar. Everyone is putting them outside their businesses so delivery drivers don't need to use the facilities inside.

Wish one of you genuis had mentioned Shopify about three yrs ago. About to pass RBC .

I bought about 50 shares when it was at $90 and have been playing the dips with it ever since.
By far the best move I’ve ever made.

few calls on DB, NVDA, QCOM : winning
puts: SPY (hedge play): minor beatdown

CTC-A.TO
enjoy.
I was looking at this the other day when it was up a few bucks...their stores are closed, their stock goes up?! Only Canadian Tire can pull this off.

The guy formerly known as Mladin.

Be careful ... if you want to book a tax loss, you have to stay out of the stock in question for 30 days to avoid Revenue Canada potentially applying a "superficial loss" rule.

There's nothing stopping you from selling BMO and buying BNS, though (or substitute any other bank). Or selling Rogers and buying Telus.

The Stars Group owns a lot, and handles a **** ton of online sports betting. With sport closed world wide, TSGI.to
Was $22. Took $40 out today.
Flutter Ent buys Stars.
.22 Flutter (LSE) shares for 1 every 1 Stars (TSX) shares.
I don't know what to do with mine. Deal closes early next week!
What does gtam suggest?

Back
Top Bottom