Best Stocks to day trade in this crash? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best Stocks to day trade in this crash?

-Maverick-

Riding the upswings, what stocks are you day trading to make a few fast dollars?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Big stones (or small brains) to daytrade in this environment. As the market is fluctuating based on irrationality, it is very hard to predict which way or how far it will move. Basically make your buy and set a limit a bit higher and hope it bounces up and you make a quick percentage. I'm not sure about setting a stop-loss, locking in your losses is not a move I like in this environment.

Many moons ago, I used to ride potash stocks (pot.to). Buy at about 80, sell when it got to 100. I was making about 1% a day on average while I was in. I would then be out for a while while it dropped again. Potash kept this rhythm for a while and then stopped following it so I stopped trading it.

EDIT:
If I were to pick something to play with, I would look for something backed by an amazing asset (eg. land, currency, precious metals, etc.). For instance, Apple market cap in 2008 was roughly equivalent to their cash on hand. REIT's may be worth a look as they should be getting hammered because the market sucks, but their underlying asset value will have changed in value very little (commercial may drop some as their could be business fallout but residential won't see a big pullback yet).

Last edited:
Reactions: J_F
AAPL on the upticks like today. The stock is unbreakable. I'm talking in and out in less than a minute.

e7a5606ae86a0e2c97ca3b1b1cb7ea59.jpg

For anyone considering playing this game in your tfsa, do some reading first. It may not go well if the cra looks into you.

For anyone considering playing this game in your tfsa, do some reading first. It may not go well if the cra looks into you.
As long as the markets remain open, what can CRA do?

You can also look at the leveraged Horizon ETFs or other leveraged ones (Dow, S&P, Nas...) that track the markets (bull and bear) they will typically swing 2:1 (5% up or down will be close to 10% for the ETFs). They have always been fast for me to get in and out but I am not sure if that is an issue in this context (sold everything late Feb and I am sitting on the sidelines).

I will likely use them (bull) once I feel bottom is hit, more or less (HSU, HQU,...).

Last edited:
As long as the markets remain open, what can CRA do?

If you actively trade in your TFSA, CRA has argued that it was a job and made the capital gain taxable. They want reasonably passive investments in TFSA. Now are weekly trades active or passive? Further research required.

Big stones (or small brains) to daytrade in this environment. As the market is fluctuating based on irrationality, it is very hard to predict which way or how far it will move. Basically make your buy and set a limit a bit higher and hope it bounces up and you make a quick percentage. I'm not sure about setting a stop-loss, locking in your losses is not a move I like in this environment.

Many moons ago, I used to ride potash stocks (pot.to). Buy at about 80, sell when it got to 100. I was making about 1% a day on average while I was in. I would then be out for a while while it dropped again. Potash kept this rhythm for a while and then stopped following it so I stopped trading it.

EDIT:
If I were to pick something to play with, I would look for something backed by an amazing asset (eg. land, currency, precious metals, etc.). For instance, Apple market cap in 2008 was roughly equivalent to their cash on hand. REIT's may be worth a look as they should be getting hammered because the market sucks, but their underlying asset value will have changed in value very little (commercial may drop some as their could be business fallout but residential won't see a big pullback yet).

I had some Potash but it crashed when the cartel broke up so I bailed. The Brits are working on a 23 mile long tunnel to extract potash and other stuff from under an eco preserve. The tunnel should be complete in about two years and supply good for a century or two loading direct onto ships. Canadian potash will still have good access to US markets.

"When everyone zigs, you zag... " - Warren Buffet.

Be careful out there tho...this is just crazy!

4163ebba87794f7ac92e7ba7045997ed.jpg

So, if one should happen to have somewhere between $7000 to $10,000 kicking around right now looking for somewhere to grow while taking advantage of current market situations, for maybe 12-36 months or so, where would you all suggest?

Asking for a friend.

So, if one should happen to have somewhere between $7000 to $10,000 kicking around right now looking for somewhere to grow while taking advantage of current market situations, for maybe 12-36 months or so, where would you all suggest?

Asking for a friend.
See corona or mutual fund threads. In my mind a lot depends on how solid your 12 month horizon is. If it is a soft 12 months, that would change my strategy vs "I need to be able to get my original capital out in 12 months". For need, I would probably look at the banks, for want, probably nasdaq etf (say XQQ), for I can afford to lose some but I would really like to make a bunch, I would go with a single stock play. Do research, think like buffett, be strong young padawan.

Asking for a friend.
A nice trials bike.

Umm....depreciating assets are not my idea of "investments". ;)
You're investing in your happiness. If there is a full quarantine (which I doubt), you can continue riding in your backyard instead of just sadly staring at your parked bike.

For a Hail Mary play, look at oil.

Saudi Arabia and Russia are totally eff-ing US shale companies by turning the taps on full, but how long can they keep it up before they need to pay their bills as well?

A lot of shale companies will go under. Oil services as well. But pick the right one that can survive the current onslaught and thrive when the crude wars end and you may end up with a ten-plus-bagger in 12 months time.

Or you may lose all your money...

For a Hail Mary play, look at oil.

Saudi Arabia and Russia are totally eff-ing US shale companies by turning the taps on full, but how long can they keep it up before they need to pay their bills as well?

A lot of shale companies will go under. Oil services as well. But pick the right one that can survive the current onslaught and thrive when the crude wars end and you may end up with a ten-plus-bagger in 12 months time.

Or you may lose all your money...
I don't know enough about individual companies to risk playing oil that way. I would be more inclined to buy refinery heavy companies. Cheap oil generally equals higher usage and more room for margin.

Asking for a friend.
Nowhere. Go to cash, short the F out of stocks (complicated) or day trade them in one to three minute increments (simple). But even then you could get caught if a switch is tripped and trading is halted. When trading is resumed, you could have lost a lot of money.

There is no bottom in yet, no stability and no one knows what to make of this coronavirus until people realize it's just a flu. More people have died from the flu this past winter and the winter before...but that logic means nothing to the fear mongering that's being spread across the world via main stream media.

The real reason of this whole flu is bigger than you can imagine. There are forces at play trying to rock this world off its axis.

Regardless, do not think long term investing in this market ...you will get your head lopped off.

Stay in cash and start making a shopping list for when the bottom is in.

Last edited:
short the F out of stocks (complicated)
Frig that. With daily 30%+ swings based on nothing other than emotions (and many stocks priced well below where I believe is a stable and sustainable level) you could get completely wiped out. Not just the 10K you thought you were playing with.

Back
Top Bottom