Best place to buy a Ducati? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best place to buy a Ducati?

I personally hate it when a salesperson comes up to me to initiate conversation. I've never met one that actually knew anymore information than I already did about a particular vehicle, and can't help but picture them rubbing their palms together and salivating at the thought of a potential victim (I mean, customer). I also have a habit of being picky about who I deal with, and the last thing I want to do is cause an issue between salespeople. For example, I was at Apex the other day, walking around while my friend was at the parts counter. The sales guy I normally deal with was out that day, and as I was browsing some of the bikes, another salesperson came up to me and started started chatting. The way he opened, I didn't even realize he worked there, and by the time I did, it seemed too late to tell him I wasn't interested. Then all I could think of was how I would explain to him that I only deal with Dave. When I'm ready to talk to someone, I'll initiate contact, thanks.

this was my experience as well (but at GP, not apex)
its like all the ducati dealers are snobby or something

Weird, maybe I've got "Sucka" written on my forehead, but salespeople can't seem to leave me alone. Every time I enter GP, I know if I linger in the Ducati section, someone will pounce on me. That said, I've never been asked if I can be helped when standing by the used bikes in the jackets area, which is nice.

I personally hate it when a salesperson comes up to me to initiate conversation. I've never met one that actually knew anymore information than I already did about a particular vehicle, and can't help but picture them rubbing their palms together and salivating at the thought of a potential victim (I mean, customer). I also have a habit of being picky about who I deal with, and the last thing I want to do is cause an issue between salespeople. For example, I was at Apex the other day, walking around while my friend was at the parts counter. The sales guy I normally deal with was out that day, and as I was browsing some of the bikes, another salesperson came up to me and started started chatting. The way he opened, I didn't even realize he worked there, and by the time I did, it seemed too late to tell him I wasn't interested. Then all I could think of was how I would explain to him that I only deal with Dave. When I'm ready to talk to someone, I'll initiate contact, thanks.

I think this is a perfect example of different people having different standards for what is acceptable customer service.

Some people want to be left alone. Others want to be acknowledged and catered to.

You can imagine the balancing act a salesperson needs to perform to try to accommodate everyone's preference, so as to not appear too pushy or too aloof. Unfortunately, most salespeople only have one mode and are unable to switch between the two.

Personally, I tend to agree with the above. Rarely have I met a salesperson that knows more about the motorcycle than I do. The only information I really need from them is pricing and availability.

I don't care if anyone greets me when I walk through the front door, but if I initiate contact, tell you the exact model and options I want, give you my name, number and e-mail and ask you to get back to me with pricing and availability, and then you never get back to me, then that to me is my red line. I'm not going to continue chasing you to give you my money. At that point I'm going somewhere else to buy the bike.

But these days, with such low supply and high demand, disgruntled customers shopping elsewhere is not even remotely a salesguy's problem. Not when they can just sit back and take orders and deposits without even lifting a finger.

Some people want to be left alone. Others want to be acknowledged and catered to.

You can imagine the balancing act a salesperson needs to perform to try to accommodate everyone's preference, so as to not appear too pushy or too aloof. Unfortunately, most salespeople only have one mode and are unable to switch between the two.

Personally, I tend to agree with the above. Rarely have I met a salesperson that knows more about the motorcycle than I do. The only information I really need from them is pricing and availability.

I don't care if anyone greets me when I walk through the front door, but if I initiate contact, tell you the exact model and options I want, give you my name, number and e-mail and ask you to get back to me with pricing and availability, and then you never get back to me, then that to me is my red line. I'm not going to continue chasing you to give you my money. At that point I'm going somewhere else to buy the bike.

But these days, with such low supply and high demand, disgruntled customers shopping elsewhere is not even remotely a salesguy's problem. Not when they can just sit back and take orders and deposits without even lifting a finger.
I generally don't like the sales pitch either. A nice 'welcome to APEX cycle. Let me know if you have any questions' as we came in the door would have been appreciated because it was one of those rare times that we would had some questions. (For the record, that is exactly the reception that we got at the Harley dealer)

It was a Saturday morning and there were less than 5 customers in the store. There were LOTS of unsold bikes. There were several employees conversing in a group that ignored us. A potential customer (my gf) and I (who already own 5 bikes and has been biking for 35 years) walked into the store and most likely won't again. They may not need every customer while the low supply/high demand lasts. Eventually, the situation will change and this disgruntled customer is not likely to return.

I generally don't like the sales pitch either. A nice 'welcome to APEX cycle. Let me know if you have any questions' as we came in the door would have been appreciated because it was one of those rare times that we would had some questions. (For the record, that is exactly the reception that we got at the Harley dealer)

It was a Saturday morning and there were less than 5 customers in the store. There were LOTS of unsold bikes. There were several employees conversing in a group that ignored us. A potential customer (my gf) and I (who already own 5 bikes and has been biking for 35 years) walked into the store and most likely won't again. They may not need every customer while the low supply/high demand lasts. Eventually, the situation will change and this disgruntled customer is not likely to return.

Again, weird. I usually get that welcome from the girl at the reception desk.

Weird, maybe I've got "Sucka" written on my forehead, but salespeople can't seem to leave me alone. Every time I enter GP, I know if I linger in the Ducati section, someone will pounce on me. That said, I've never been asked if I can be helped when standing by the used bikes in the jackets area, which is nice.
I have a permanent '**** you' vibe around me, like im russian or something, this is good sometimes, but sometimes not

I tried to buy my Supersport from Apex last year. When I went in, it was like pulling teeth. I called several times to try and put money down. No call back. I had a friend with me that does not ride. He asked why nobody seemed to be working or care.

Walked into GP, talked to Ben, deal done. They even got me my bike earlier because someone ahead of me in the queue backed out.

I tried to buy my Supersport from Apex last year. When I went in, it was like pulling teeth. I called several times to try and put money down. No call back. I had a friend with me that does not ride. He asked why nobody seemed to be working or care.

Walked into GP, talked to Ben, deal done. They even got me my bike earlier because someone ahead of me in the queue backed out.

I recently called them about a ‘22 Honda CB1000R they had, and still have, advertised. Sales guy I talked to was going to make sure it wasn’t sold and get back to me….crickets.
Ended up buying from KW Honda who were more than happy to take my money.

sounds like sales is just a crapshoot

I have forwarded this thread to the sales dept at Apex.
If i don't get help from sales staff in a business, i ask for it. Are you people shy?
Without trying to flare this up again, I'm wondering if the Sales Dept at Apex responded?

Tried Inglis Cycle in London? When I go for parts (I'm not a new bike buying baller) I often linger over the new stuff just to toy with my emotions.
The sales folk look over
"Anything I can help you with?"
"Just toying with my emotions"
"OK let me know if you have questions"
That to me is just the right amount of interaction.

Tried Inglis Cycle in London? When I go for parts (I'm not a new bike buying baller) I often linger over the new stuff just to toy with my emotions.
The sales folk look over
"Anything I can help you with?"
"Just toying with my emotions"
"OK let me know if you have questions"
That to me is just the right amount of interaction.
not a ducati dealer though

I found this thread very entertaining, and I am not sharing any particular negative/positive experiences, just a general observation - I think many salespeople will look at your on arrival and evaluate your "potential" and react accordingly. I personally found that I am always ignored and even if I ask I still would be attended very last LOL. I found it funny and my friend told me to stop wearing t-shirts and sneakers and to buy an expensive watch but I don't see the point as I am still too far from a real baller :) So, so far my sneakers generally more expensive than my (g-shock) watches and I plan for extra time when I want to buy a new thing which involves salespeople. Wish you don't take it all too seriously. Cheers.

P.S. regarding dealerships and Ducati - I would def buy at GP bikes as over the years I managed to get to know a few ppl htere, so it's like home by now, not need to fight for attention or impress anybody - just call ahead and setup time.

It's not difficult, I've been in sales. At least acknowledge people.
Some say they don't like to be bothered but I've never had a sales come and start trying to sell you crap without knowing why you're there.
Always: Hi, welcome. Do you need help with anything?
Just browsing, I'm good.
Okay, let me know if you need anything.

Unless a store is swamped with customers, how hard is that to do? People making excuses for this is ridiculous. I don't know if the dude running around is a sales, or mechanic or off their shift. Shouldn't be my job to go find someone to assist me, am I expected to change my own oil at a shop?
If I really want something and quickly, I'll go find someone. But if I've been browsing around a fairly empty store for the last 20 minutes and not one person had the decency to come up to me, you've lost my business.

I wonder how much of this change in sales style has to do with the internet?
I regularly see many sales people just be sitting at their computers all day, if they get a significant portion of their sales/leads through online, maybe they've just shifted priorities?

I regularly see many sales people just be sitting at their computers all day, if they get a significant portion of their sales/leads through online, maybe they've just shifted priorities?
If they've shifted their priorities to cater to the online customer over their in-store customers, then they have no right to complain when their brick and mortar store is bankrupted by other online retailers.

If I’m selling I will take a customer standing in the showroom over a internet lead anytime. Most internet leads are a waste of time. Repeat buyers are a different story though.

Back
Top Bottom