Bell or Rogers for cable TV? Deal of the Century or just plain BS? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bell or Rogers for cable TV? Deal of the Century or just plain BS?

SeaBreez

Bell called, offering a "DEAL" if I switched from Rogers. "Fibe", new PVR, and so on. Savings of $400.00 for the first year, offering a PVR that connects to all the TV's in the house, better HD etc. (our 4 cell phones staying on Rogers). So when the year is up the savings drops to about $15.00 per month.

Question:

Is Bell's HD that much better, and worth switching? (I'm inclinded to stay put and let Rogers match the offer).

Any comments from Bell or Rogers users welcomed.

Thanks

Bell HD is good, but like Rogers the bundle plans are **** (but still better than Rogers). Want AMC? You'll have to pay a bundle price that includes 5-8 other channels that you'll probably never watch. But the HD is better than Rogers IMO. Take a look at the Bell and Rogers TV packages and see what you like/don't like.

ALSO, is you choose one or the other, I would remove those regional/time switching channels (NBC in another time zone) which is about $8/month, they sign you up automatically for that.

You should also check the fine print/ask, because that "deal" will probably go away after the first year. That's what happened when we signed up and ditched Rogers a few years ago.

Fibe is alright. The whole home PVR works pretty well. The boxes are slow and lag alot in the menu's. Picture quality is quite good.

Roger's boxes work better and faster. I prefer how they map HD channels to the regular numbers when available(ex. Global HD is channel 3 instead of 143287182735).

Call up rogers and tell them you are going to switch to bell for all the savings and they will generally transfer you to customer retention and offer you a better deal. I generally encourage people to do that once a year regardless of what deal's are on. Just make **** up and tell them you'll leave. They'll always offer you more for less.

imo do whatever you have to to save a buck. Either way you're getting screwed so you might as well use everyone's deal's and promo's to your advantage. The service is no different from one to the other. All my customer's ***** equally across all providers.

So fibe is not what Bell is bragging about? Thanks for the help.

Get Rogers Internet, splice the cable and you'll have free basic cable for life for the cost of high speed internet.

Screw th both. Teksavvy unlimited internet plus netflix plus over the air channels in hd. You wanna see HD? Go watch a FREE OTA channel. It blows rogers and bells compressed hd out of the water.

So fibe is not what Bell is bragging about? Thanks for the help.
It's not outrageously better than anybody elses system. It has it's positives and negatives like all the providers.

Screw th both. Teksavvy unlimited internet plus netflix plus over the air channels in hd. You wanna see HD? Go watch a FREE OTA channel. It blows rogers and bells compressed hd out of the water.
Except you only get local stuff.

It's not outrageously better than anybody elses system. It has it's positives and negatives like all the providers.

Except you only get local stuff.

With a good antenna you can pickup any station within 100km or so, I have one that picks up everything within about 90km

ok how about, if i already have a bell satelite up on the roof, is it possible i get a receiver box that gets me all the local free channels?

With a good antenna you can pickup any station within 100km or so, I have one that picks up everything within about 90km
100km is local. You aren't going to be getting any sports or movie channels. CBC, CTV, TVO, PBS, etc.
ok how about, if i already have a bell satelite up on the roof, is it possible i get a receiver box that gets me all the local free channels?
You could get a FTA receiver and get some channels, but they wont be the same as what you'd get on antenna. Different system entirely.

Get Rogers Internet, splice the cable and you'll have free basic cable for life for the cost of high speed internet.

If I splice the cable going into the Taksavvy modem.... will it watching basic cable tv affect my internet speeds? Just need basic news channels for dad.

It's pretty much going from box, through basement, directly to the modem. Can I just use one of more-than-one-cable connectors?

Last edited:
If I splice the cable going into the Taksavvy modem.... will it watching basic cable tv affect my internet speeds? Just need basic news channels for dad.

It's pretty much going from box, through basement, directly to the modem. Can I just use one of more-than-one-cable connectors?

My speeds don't seem to be affected. I have the cable split 3 times to run 1 wireless modem and 2 TVs

Splicing will not reduce speeds. we have done it for years and it's fine.

Last edited:

Split the incoming line with a 2 way splitter, one feed going directly to modem. Use the other output to go to a TV. If you want more tv hookups, put another splitter on the secondary feed.

Do not split the main feed more than once or use a 3/4/5-way splitter before it hits the modem.

Last edited:
My speeds don't seem to be affected. I have the cable split 3 times to run 1 wireless modem and 2 TVs

Crap, now that everybody knows, Rogers will soon catch on

Splitting will work no problem and won't affect your speed. The only issue, is whether the filter located in the box outside is there or not. Most likely yes, but you can give it a try. The filter is used to block the frequencies that are used to carry the Basic Cable channels.

Crap, now that everybody knows, Rogers will soon catch on

They came knocking at my door a few days later trying up sell me to HDTV, cause they know somethings up when you only want the internet. I showed them my HDTV antenna I built and told them to go **** themselves.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/how-to/tv/build-your-own-digital-tv-antenna
digital_antenna_0311-de.jpg

Lol, i dont have a ladder for my roof & too lazy to run any cables

Sent from my Phone, dont judge the grammar

The antenna works just sitting next to the TV. If I wanted Buffalo I would have to stick it on the roof, but I'm cool with just Global CHCH CTV and TVO

Back
Top Bottom