Been restoring a Ninja 650 I bought for $1,300 (and vlogging it) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Been restoring a Ninja 650 I bought for $1,300 (and vlogging it)

adri

Site Supporter
Back in January, I bought a Ninja 650 with 330 km on it for only $1,300. The previous owner is an entrepreneur who's businesses blew up, and then so did his wife (three kids in 7 years). On top of a crazy life, he was a fairweather rider who's wife absolutely hated him riding motorcycles (eye roll).

He wanted to get the bike fixed up before selling it, but when he found out what that would cost him, he decided the juice wasn't worth the squeeze, so he sold it to me as-is where-is instead. I've slowly been getting this bike back to her former glory and video'ing it ("vlogging" it) along the way.

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic nor a video editor wiz, so some parts might be painful to watch, but if you like watching this type of thing, or if you just want to flame a stranger on the internet to feel better about your own miserable life, feel free to watch my videos :) Here are the first three:

#1 - Bringing the bike home, explaining the plan for it, and coming across an interesting surprise:

#2 - Getting the bike to start (overcoming dead battery, vapor lock, and another surprise to tackle):

#3 - Siphoning out the old gas with a $15 gas pump (tank had been drained in the past so I took a shortcut here):

#4 - Oil change (discovered the oil filter was completely stuck on, had to hammer it):

Still ahead: I'll do a coolant video, and finally a brake fluid video.

I was thinking about putting fresh tires on this bike, because despite the low km the rubber is still 13 years old, but I think I'll leave these on, reflect that in the price, and let whoever buys it deal get whatever tires they want for it. Some will buy the best rubber they can get, others will happy with a crappy set of Shinkos, whatever...

If you guys have any questions, comments, or would like to lend a hand or spin a wrench with me, give me a shout.

Last edited:
It won't pass cert. with 13 yr old tires, bite the bullet and by some Shinkos.
OR, I'll give you $1500 as is … ;)

Most places wont look at the age of the tires and would certify it as is.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

umm...you didn't know about gravity feed and fluids???? I drain my gas tank with a hose and air compressor. Blow air across the free end to start the suction and let gravity do it's thing.

Your asking price is ridiculous. $4250 for an 06 ninja is way too much, even with a new battery.
Especially when you document the "work" being done and the $1000 purchase price.
Also $4250 certified with 13 year old tires.

Please view this ad:

Kawasaki Ninja 650R - ONLY 300 KM on it, like NEW, but 1/2 Price,

Price: $ 4,250

Download the application from the Google Play Store.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Your asking price is ridiculous. $4250 for an 06 ninja is way too much, even with a new battery.
Especially when you document the "work" being done and the $1000 purchase price.
Also $4250 certified with 13 year old tires.

Please view this ad:

Kawasaki Ninja 650R - ONLY 300 KM on it, like NEW, but 1/2 Price,

Price: $ 4,250

Lol that's insane. Retail is between $1850 - $2500 for that model.

300 original km's?
I think its worth more - certified I would expect 3000-3500$ (w spring tax)
I would lower asking to $3750 or so. But you need to certify to get any decent dollars for this. Doesn't matter what you paid for it.

300 original km's?
I would lower asking to $3750 or so. But you need to certify to get any decent dollars for this. Doesn't matter what you paid for it.
I would look to putting on some DOT used track tires. Might find a pair for $50-60.

300 original km's?
I agree mostly, but there are many 2012 and up ninja 650 for sale for 3000 to 4500 asking price. Nobody out there shopping on kijiji is offering more than 2500 for an 06. Just my 2 cents.
Just for example.

Please view this ad:

2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650 ,

Price: $ 4,200

Please view this ad:

2013 Kawasaki Ninja 650 - 391 kilometers (Not a typo!),

Price: $ 4,200

This is a basic bland bike -- nothing special, not collectible, not even interesting. An old Ninja with 0 KM and one with 20K are worth about the same, I figure $2200 would be a fair price. At $4200 you're competing with a lot of nice bikes, particularly given the age.

Low mileage unless it's stored properly is worth less than one with reasonable mileage. If I understand it, this one wasn't put in storage, just left to sit.

iceman, that 2015 at 4 large is a nice reasonably priced deal. Why are all the good deals in ottawa? lol. Folks in ottawa are probably sayin "why are all the good deals in gta ?"

I will have to concede on the lower pricing. If that 06 was my flip, I would still expect 3000$ certified - at least during the spring tax event.

Hey all. Wow, wasn't expecting so much debate on pricing haha. My thought process on pricing was the following:

1) It doesn't seem to matter whether you try sell a motorcycle or a book shelf on kijiji, people only offer 75% to 80% of whatever your list price is. I could list this bike for $1,000 and someone would still come along and offer $800 or a trade for his xbox or a drum set. We've all gotten messages from one of those guys...

2) Lost my job in March, so if I'm able to make a handful of videos that might help some noobs out (hell, I'm still learning and it's been 11 years...) and make a little cash at the same time while looking for work, why not?

Did I price it at $4,000+? Yep
Do I expect it to sell at $4,000+? Nope

Hope that clears things up. Ride safe all.

umm...you didn't know about gravity feed and fluids???? I drain my gas tank with a hose and air compressor. Blow air across the free end to start the suction and let gravity do it's thing.

Knew about gravity feeds and fluids, but never put together that I could use my air compressor like that. I guess I was just thinking suction, not blowing for the free end. Came across this video that shows what you're talking about. Learned something new today. Thanks!

Basically what I do, except I put a small hole near the very end of the tube and place the air nozzle in it pointing to the end. No need to pinch and worry about angles. Stick the end into the jerry can and blow air.

Back
Top Bottom