Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

It's spreading. HD heritage softtail classic.

8EB82AC6-FC27-4052-9DF4-AA700892F323.jpg

^ expected that thing to be way more than 20K
not a bad deal really if it works and you're into HD

I can see how a machine like this appeals to some people - especially since it allows for better lean angles when compared to the trike.

On the other hand, for those riders that have balance issues like BPPV, BPV etc, I suspect the trike would be a much safer option!

2019-harley-davidson-trike-tri-glide-recall.jpg

I can see how a machine like this appeals to some people - especially since it allows for better lean angles when compared to the trike.

On the other hand, for those riders that have balance issues like BPPV, BPV etc, I suspect the trike would be a much safer option!

The tilting motorworks bikes apparently have something to keep the bike vertical. Didnt read up enough to see if it is a lock or active return to vertical.

Wouldn't a standard trike actually be more susceptible to tipping than the reverse trike?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Wouldn't a standard trike actually be more susceptible to tipping than the reverse trike?

A standard trike is 100% stable when stopped. It can dump you in a corner. The niken has nothing to keep you up. The harley thing sounds like it is in between.

100%.
Ever ride one of those old Honda 3 wheel ATV's?? They were incredibly dangerous. Regular trikes will want to tip forward/left when turning to the right... and tip forward/right when turning left.

Reverse trikes (Canam Spyder / Ryker) and to a lesser extent the Niken, are much more stable, as the 2 forward wheels will prevent the forward tipping.

100%.
Ever ride one of those old Honda 3 wheel ATV's?? They were incredibly dangerous. Regular trikes will want to tip forward/left when turning to the right... and tip forward/right when turning left.

Reverse trikes (Canam Spyder / Ryker) and to a lesser extent the Niken, are much more stable, as the 2 forward wheels will prevent the forward tipping.
This is what I was thinking...while in motion.
I also was recalling the 3 wheel ATVs and the accidents.

However, I didn't realize, as @GreyGhost pointed out, that the Nikken does not stand up on it's own. I thought it did.

This is what I was thinking...while in motion.
I also was recalling the 3 wheel ATVs and the accidents.

However, I didn't realize, as @GreyGhost pointed out, that the Nikken does not stand up on it's own. I thought it did.

In my mind the fact that it doesn't stand up on its own makes it feel much more like a 2 wheel motorcycle than feel like a trike. I think thats a major factor.

100%.

3 wheelers are so much fun to ride. There is a reason why they are now increasing in value.

Update:

The motor exploded. On a ride with @shanekingsley on a high speed pass, the engine exploded in a cloud of oil. When I got it home, it was pretty clear that a rod broke and decided to go for a vacation, leaving a cool hole in my motor.

Problem? Nah.

I found a salvage FJ-09 motor and had a mechanic friend swap engines. He tore down the old motor to find more than one hole, and that a good portion of my transmission had gone on vacation too. Interestingly, he saw no piston damage. No pitting, nothing, which could rule out overcompression, knock or premature detonation, which was my first guess. Working hypothesis now is that the con rod was not a good one and let go under the additional power.

Welp, I am going to have some custom plumbing made up, as the charge pipe was mounted in a way that impeded shifting for my big feet, and have the bike properly tuned. That way we can see intake air temps etc. to make sure it's all running tickety-poo.

Shockingly, 20 minutes away from the place in Montreal where I picked up the motor from, a dealership was selling a brand new Niken GT for under $14k (MSRP is $21k, I think). So I bought it.

John Sharrard from Accellerated Technologies is dialling in the suspension for the stock bike (which will stay mostly stock) and at the same time getting the info he needs for track suspension on the turbo. In for a penny, in for a pound, I suppose. His opinion is that the stock suspension is actually pretty good for the street, but he is going to have a shock custom made for the back of the turbo.

It's all good. I'm just doubling down on the weirdness.

In my mind the fact that it doesn't stand up on its own makes it feel much more like a 2 wheel motorcycle than feel like a trike. I think thats a major factor.

If you've never ridden this bike before, just put all preconceptions on the backburner. This IS a motorcycle. Leans like one, wheelies and stoppies like one, countersteers like one, rides like one, will bite you in the ass if you don't know what you're doing like one.

I've ridden trikes and Can Ams. This is not that, I suppose I best get used to saying that (over and over again) ?

If you've never ridden this bike before, just put all preconceptions on the backburner. This IS a motorcycle. Leans like one, wheelies and stoppies like one, countersteers like one, rides like one, will bite you in the ass if you don't know what you're doing like one.

I've ridden trikes and Can Ams. This is not that, I suppose I best get used to saying that (over and over again) ?

I believe you. I watched a bunch on it when it came out. I would love to try one!

Update:

The motor exploded. On a ride with @shanekingsley on a high speed pass, the engine exploded in a cloud of oil. When I got it home, it was pretty clear that a rod broke and decided to go for a vacation, leaving a cool hole in my motor.

Problem? Nah.

I found a salvage FJ-09 motor and had a mechanic friend swap engines. He tore down the old motor to find more than one hole, and that a good portion of my transmission had gone on vacation too. Interestingly, he saw no piston damage. No pitting, nothing, which could rule out overcompression, knock or premature detonation, which was my first guess. Working hypothesis now is that the con rod was not a good one and let go under the additional power.

Welp, I am going to have some custom plumbing made up, as the charge pipe was mounted in a way that impeded shifting for my big feet, and have the bike properly tuned. That way we can see intake air temps etc. to make sure it's all running tickety-poo.

Shockingly, 20 minutes away from the place in Montreal where I picked up the motor from, a dealership was selling a brand new Niken GT for under $14k (MSRP is $21k, I think). So I bought it.

John Sharrard from Accellerated Technologies is dialling in the suspension for the stock bike (which will stay mostly stock) and at the same time getting the info he needs for track suspension on the turbo. In for a penny, in for a pound, I suppose. His opinion is that the stock suspension is actually pretty good for the street, but he is going to have a shock custom made for the back of the turbo.

that is a strange one
my first guess as as well was overboost and detonation
but then you'd be seeing broken rings/ring lands or hole in piston sort of stuff
not normal to break a rod from that

would be interesting to see some pics if you are able

did the installation include a det sensor?

Update:

Problem? Nah.

Love this post! What a story.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Forgot about this thread. Thought I'd revive it with an old update.'

Took the bike to the track with the new suspension and the hopes that the motor wouldn't blow up again. The bike was tuned this time, and as suspected, the mapping was just ... off. With the tune that was provided, it was pushing over 200 hp at the rear. Decided that wasn't so safe and so the tune was richened WAY up, down to about 175 hp at the rear. And I ran it with a 50/50 mix of VP race gas and 94.

The bike didn't blow up over 2 days at TMP over labour day. I did take it easy at the beginning, because I had also been away from the track for quite some time, but by the end of the second day I was riding at the (my) limit and the bike didn't explode.

It burned through 1/4 tank per session, which is insane, but didn't explode. The bike is ... hilarious. As it turns out, nobody likes being passed by a trike. Was I the fastest bike in the group? Hellz nah, but riding a three wheeled exercise in comedy like this means that there are low expectations. I've always liked an underdog.

I have plans for when the 'Vid goes away, including better tuning and perhaps building the motor. Installing a Det sensor and a childish blow off valve so I can hear her sing. Pssshhhhhhht.....

Hooray!

Back
Top Bottom