Battery Suddenly Died :( | GTAMotorcycle.com

Battery Suddenly Died :(

Hickory_Sticks

I was hoping someone might know what to do here. I just bought a new battery this season so it cant be more than 2 months old and after riding my bike around 3 days ago its completely dead today. Not a single light turns on. I live in a condo and cant find an outlet anywhere in the parking garage so I took the battery out of the bike and plugged it in to the charger upstairs and its like it doesnt even notice it there, it just keeps flashing in the "battery not charging" mode the same way it does when nothing is plugged in.
No idea how it could go from fine to not even excepting a charge in 3 days....

Take it in to any Canadian Tire and they will test it for you for free. There is a chance the battery is physically defective (and should be covered under warranty).

Likely something on your bike is draining the battery (parasitic drain) let me take a stab in the dark and you have a fancy alarm system on your bike?

Voltage regulator pooched? Boiling battery with too much voltage would do what you described in such a short time. Condo underground parking? Maybe someone swapped your new battery for their old battery..yes, the world sucks, then you die.

Do cbr125's having charging issues, Martin? All years?

steering lock is as far as I go with protection. Its a 2002 KLR650 so nothing fancy about it.

Ill try having canadian tire test it and go from there I suppose.

Well if they give you a new battery, I would put a meter on the battery after going for a short ride (5 min or so) and if the battery voltage is over 15 volts in that short time, then your voltage reg will boil the replacement battery also.

Check the charging system with a multimeter. You should be getting 13.5 - 14.5 volts when reving, if not then something is wrong with your charging system.

Check for a loose connection. This can result in a point of high resistance, which then draws a lot of current causing heat and furthers the issue at that point. A good spot to check is the connector at the main battery fuse point and the regulator-rectifier. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom